When I separated from active duty I received a DD214 and know I have the right to file a disability claim for anything in my medical record while on active duty.  I also received one for my last deployment and will do the same when I retire from the guard.  My question is, can anything that happens during AT/AFTP/drill go on my disability form as well?  Or is it just for extended active duty/mobilization i.e. deployments?  If I never deploy again and missed getting something in my medical record am I pretty much hosed?

thanks

3 hours ago, chizz said:

When I separated from active duty I received a DD214 and know I have the right to file a disability claim for anything in my medical record while on active duty.  I also received one for my last deployment and will do the same when I retire from the guard.  My question is, can anything that happens during AT/AFTP/drill go on my disability form as well?  Or is it just for extended active duty/mobilization i.e. deployments?  If I never deploy again and missed getting something in my medical record am I pretty much hosed?

thanks

Yes it can, especially in a military status (non-ART).  You could go whole hog and get a Line of Duty (LOD) determination for said injury/illness and tricare will take care of you forever in reference to said problem, but it could trigger a MEB.  If your flight docs are cool (generally are in the ANG)  then report it, get it into your record.  I'm going to put together a brief on all of this crap once my retirement status is complete, still don't know where my path will lead.  

Edited by matmacwc

• 1 year later...

I keep being told rumors that the max allowable disability to continue in the Air Force Reserve is 30%...but I have not found that written anywhere. Is there a cut and dry max amount of disability you can be receiving from the VA while in the Air Force Reserve, or is it dependent on if the actual disabilities you are rated for impact your ability to do your job, and/or be worldwide deployable, or fly. 

26 minutes ago, rbigred300 said:

I keep being told rumors that the max allowable disability to continue in the Air Force Reserve is 30%...but I have not found that written anywhere. Is there a cut and dry max amount of disability you can be receiving from the VA while in the Air Force Reserve, or is it dependent on if the actual disabilities you are rated for impact your ability to do your job, and/or be worldwide deployable, or fly. 

Nope. I have a buddy actively flying vipers and he is like 60%, heard of an IFF guy still flying with 90% and parks in the disabled parking spot. 

Nope. I have a buddy actively flying vipers and he is like 60%, heard of an IFF guy still flying with 90% and parks in the disabled parking spot. 

He really ought to get a disabled placard he can suction mount in his T-38 while flying.

Well thats good to know.  Any idea if the reserves officially know about these disability ratings of these folks, or if there is a possibility the reserves just didn't find out about it and thats why they haven't had issues?  My experience with the VA and the reserves has been a complete joke as far as people knowing what they are doing.  

I think a lot of people just don't put down anything about VA disability on their PHA questionnaire, and in many situations I don't think the VA and the reserves talk to each other (although supposedly that is changing).  

I have a friend who was deployed as a reservist and one of the guys he was with got called back from the deployment by his wing supposedly due to a new VA disability rating (of course this could have been due to the underlying issue that he was granted disability for)...and they put him on no points, no pay for a while.  

There’s confusion on this subject because there are two disability ratings that one might receive. One is post-AD from the VA. The other is an in-service disability rating given by the DOD as a result of the Medical Review Board, which may or may not lead to a disability retirement. The two are totally separate processes.

Agreed, but strictly related to the former, was told it can be a hold up trying to palace Chase and when the units are full and/or need to downsize, the first individuals they will look at are ones with ratings. But doubt it will ever happen

• 3 years later...

Anyone have any up to date Information on this ?  Once you separate from active duty they ask if you plan to file a VA claim. How does that affect if you are transferring to the Reserves for a flying position ?  Are you risking losing the flying job depending on what they claim?  Should you just wait until leaving the Reserves ?

I know many guys who did it on the way out the AD door (and into the ARC/airlines). I was still afraid and didn’t…but probably an unfounded fear from what I’ve seen. I know a couple dudes who are 90% and have no issues with the FAA. I think all the guys I know still flying mil are in the 30-70% range. 

If you want to play it safe: join the ARC and then file with the VA. Make sure you have everything documented on your separation physical that you might have an inkling to claim. File your intent to claim with VA after your accession but definitely within 1 year of active duty discharge. This 1 yr timeframe preserves the presumption that whatever you claim is service-connected. Filing the intent to claim form buys you time to get your actual claim filed and then you’ll get backpay all the way back to the date of your intent to file form (you must make your claim within 1 yr of your intent to file form date).

Doing it this way will avoid being rejected at accession on medical grounds. Of course, you’ll want to not claim anything that might be disqualifying for continued service/aviation service, if applicable.