Low PCSM?

pmpt

Hello,

I have taken the AFOQT and TBAS. My AFOQT scores were 90/89/87/93/72. My PCSM was 65. I have, 2 flight hours (intro flights - was in a tough spot financially for awhile but wanting to go back and do more). 

2 principal questions: 1) is this PCSM crap? I have no idea what the scale is; and 2) while I'm sure it's recommended, would getting more flight hours/ a PPL be dispositive or decisive on an application? I understand that for ANG it is likely to be, but for the active component?

Thank you.

A PCSM in the 60s isnt "great." The PCSM scale goes from 0-99. However, there's a lot of speculation about how much your PCSM plays in to selection, and a lot of that also depends on which route you take. As you mentioned, Guard and Reserve units tend not to be as concerned about PCSMs, while Active Duty slots tend to go to guys with higher PCSMs. For example, I heard that on the last Active Duty UPT board, any application that didn't have at least a 90 PCSM wasn't considered very competitive. But take that with a grain of salt because it was a rumor and it was the Active Duty board. The best thing you can do to improve your PCSM is likely to get more flight hours. Getting a PPL is great, but its the flight hours you obtain that influence your PCSM, not the PPL itself. That being said, having a PPL is also a great thing to put on your application, and I know on previous boards that tended to set applicants apart from the herd.

Your AFOQT scores aren't bad. It might not be a bad idea to take it again if you think you can do better. Did you use a study guide before taking the AFOQT? If not, I highly recommend picking one up, studying the sections that influence the Pilot score and retaking. Most people I know that have done that (myself included) tended to get a 95+ pilot score after using a study guide. Keep in mind that your AFOQT Pilot Score is part of the composite that makes up your PCSM score, so any improvement there will also help. And if you think you can do better on the TBAS knowing what you know now, take it again. If I'm not mistaken, though, you only get 2 shots at the TBAS, so choose wisely.

Pardon me if I disagree with ptwob408, but those are all very good "scores".  It is important to know that those numbers aren't actually scores in the traditional sense, they're percentiles; your pilot score of 90 means your test score (whatever it was...they don't tell you) in the pilot category was higher than 90% of others in the control group, 89% of those in the group that tested in the Nav category, etc.  In other words, your AFOQT scores are pretty much all in the top 15% (except the last, which is near the top 25%). An average for the five of better than 87% of others in the control group...that's darn good!!.  As for the PCSM, you did better than 65% of the rest of the people, and that's without many flying hours.  If you were to get three more hours, the additional points would probably put you up close to the 70s...better than 70% of the others in the control group.  I know people who would die for those "scores"!  BTW, the PCSM points are awarded in steps, so when you get to 5 hours you'll get more, but then no more until you have 10, so for PCSM purposes, if you can't afford to get all the way to 10 you're wasting money for 6 thru 9.  However, for proficiency purposes, every flight is more training.  I wouldn't take the AFOQT again; your scores are great and you run the risk of having some lower scores and the 2nd test will override the first.  As for the PCSM, with a 62 you probably did very well on the TBAS.  I doubt if retaking the TBAS will change much...flying hours will.  As long as you're in the top 40% it isn't likely that it will have much additional impact.  For AD and Reserve, the test scores only count for a small percentage of the board score anyway...maybe15%, and you're already going to get most of that with the existing scores. A Guard unit may be a little different because they can make up their own decision matrix (a little like joining a country club).  So, there's another 85% of the decision criteria out there based on a lot of performance, education, job experience, communication skills, previous levels of experience, interview, scores, etc. that are big players in your application.

So, more hours help, but are not a magic solution to selection.  The PPL is a favorable item, particularly for most Guard units I've heard about, but not a clear yes/no item either.  I tracked several years worth of AD rated boards a while back and selectees with and without a PPL were about equal...split around the 48-52% range usually, although that comparison was PPL only and didn't indicate whether or not the non-PPL selects had lots of flying hours.

Bottom line from my perspective: none of those numbers will hurt you at all.  Focus on the rest of the selection criteria!

• Upvote 2

Yeah I probably have a pretty biased outlook since I didn't go that route. The board I applied to only took 15 guys Air Force wide for UPT, so if your scores weren't nearly perfect, your chances were slim. I apologize if I steered you down the wrong road. Thanks for the other perspectives. 

All responses very much appreciated. Anyone have any idea however what 'weight' the TBAS holds in PCSM calculation? Long story made short I did the TBAS directly after the AFOQT with little sleep. I've nearly aced the Navy's version which is very similar. The Navy gives an actual score back for the hand/eye portion though. No idea how much of my less than stellar PCSM is accounted for by the TBAS rather than lack of flight hours ... In any case. Thanks boys.