Next Chief of Staff

Harpy

I'll just leave this here

http://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/this-air-force-general-could-be-the-first-female-chief-of-staff

Best part... "Robinson is also a unique choice because she would be the first non-pilot to be named CSAF. Her experience, however, includes more than 900 flight hours as a “senior battle manager” in the E-3B/C and E-8C aircraft"

Edited by Harpy

Not a requirement for the CSAF and would be good for the long term, new perspective and probably not myopically focused on one aspect of air, space & cyberspace power.

Not every CNO is a pilot even as much of the Navy is carrier based naval aviation, like the Navy we are not just airplanes and not just pointy nose airplanes.

This should be a turn away from only a fighter general being in charge (usually), McNabb being interim and Schwartz being an uneventful exception to that trend of the past 30+ years or so, not a swipe at fighter guys, but we need leadership with a broader based career experience to draw on when in that top position(s).

Edited by Clark Griswold

Not a requirement for the CSAF and would be good for the long term, new perspective and probably not myopically focused on one aspect of air, space & cyberspace power.

Not every CNO is a pilot even as much of the Navy is carrier based naval aviation, like the Navy we are not just airplanes and not just pointy nose airplanes.

This should be a turn away from only a fighter general being in charge (usually), McNabb being interim and Schwartz being an uneventful exception to that trend of the past 30+ years or so, not a swipe at fighter guys, but we need leadership with a broader based career experience to draw on when in that top position(s).

Or the best qualified person with a good outlook and judgement despite their background. Pilot or not.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, SurelySerious said:

Or the best qualified person with a good outlook and judgement despite their background. Pilot or not.

Agreed.  But I would prefer a new CSAF who can do this to an SES who says we have to do more SAPR or other pointless degrading activity at some point...

19gnwjiulus8qgif.gif

If during their confirmation hearing they demonstrate this, boom, done, got the job.

• Upvote 1

No blues mondays, friday shirts, callsigns on nametags, shitcan masters required for Maj, don't do school corres AND inres, etc.  I agree nothing monumental, but at least he reversed a lot of the bullshit skelator 2 gave us.  The more sad part is he had to spend so much time undoing crap like that all while being drowned in bullshit forced on him by congress.  Don't hold the chief down with "highest priority!" items like SAPR (as one example) and let him focus on what we actually exist for.  I can't cast stones at the man, but I can cast countless at the "leadership" above him.

• Upvote 3

Yeah, the point is that lower level commanders are not following his guidance. What does it say about a CSAF whose organization won't even follow simple commands? 

Figured this comment would come - copy, we have cancerous senior leadership (O-6 to about O-8).  This group is hugely to blame for a large portion of the pain we all suffer.  I'm going to venture a guess and say the CSAF doesn't have the time/capacity to go hand hold/kick every O-6 in the balls for not following his verbal/written commands explicitly.  The real problem is these middle management clowns will continue the same bullshit until it's expressly not allowed in AFI.  Too bad it takes years to re-write/approve large sweeping AFI changes.  You can argue the CSAF should have prioritized those AFI changes higher, but I understand he most likely had bigger fish to fry and at the same time put too much trust in his senior leadership to actually lead.

I think you make a fair point. I just disagree that we should give a guy credit for great ideas that he ultimately failed to implement. I am not sure if I buy the idea that this organization is so intractable that even the guy in charge is fundamentally incapable of making changes. 

17 hours ago, Jaded said:

Yeah, the point is that lower level commanders are not following his guidance. What does it say about a CSAF whose organization won't even follow simple commands? 

Some aren't. All of my commanders have.

That said, Gen Robinson comes from the ABM community which tends to live and breathe platitudes and exaggerate all of the bad aspects of the fighter community. Case in point, the latest PACAF SII is the ever so vague, "Attention to detail." 

• Upvote 1

I am not sure if I buy the idea that this organization is so intractable that even the guy in charge is fundamentally incapable of making changes.

Good point - that's the way it seems, but I agree, he can't possibly be so ineffective at changing the organization he leads.  Organizational change is a monumental undertaking, but he has to be able to make changes beyond the things I mentioned.  Those were nice and I'm glad he made them, but, still not the sweeping changes that a shattered organization like the AF needs.

My favorite Lori (Gen Robinson) moment, In a former job I was taking care of some transit F-15's from Eglin RONing at KTIK. I had the lead plane which had an O-6 flying it. As soon as I had it shut down and the pilot debriefed a very attractive ( 552 ACW CC) woman wearing flip flops and Daisy dukes comes up and gives a very warm welcome to the O-6. Needless to say that F-15 was the farthest thing from the mind of that pilot. 

Maybe it's time we had an non pilot in charge, if it's her I'm sure at the end of tenure when she retires she will be successful as with every other job she held.  

My favorite Lori (Gen Robinson) moment, In a former job I was taking care of some transit F-15's from Eglin RONing at KTIK. I had the lead plane which had an O-6 flying it. As soon as I had it shut down and the pilot debriefed a very attractive ( 552 ACW CC) woman wearing flip flops and Daisy dukes comes up and gives a very warm welcome to the O-6. Needless to say that F-15 was the farthest thing from the mind of that pilot. 

Maybe it's time we had an non pilot in charge, if it's her I'm sure at the end of tenure when she retires she will be successful as with every other job she held.  

I'm sorry, but how did Robinson fit into your story? Was she the attractive woman? If so, I suggest you need to lose the beer goggles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk