Computer Engineering Job search

HuggyU2

I have a friend with a small but successful high tech company that builds computer hardware.  They want to hire a former military person that has an engineering degree (obtained before or after their Service... doesn't matter).  I think they are not pleased with their current prospects right out of college, and want someone mature that can deal with life.  

Where can employers go to advertise for such non-flying tech jobs?  I'll pass on any suggestions.  

Thanks.

I'm a fan of Indeed as well.

I think your friend will end up on Linkedin eventually, in one way or another.  You can post a job there, as well as do some searching on profiles to see if you can find the skills and quals you're looking for.  I believe you have to pay to use some of the search functionality, though.  I've heard most recruiters work almost exclusively through Linkedin nowadays.

I've known folks in the same position as your friend, who were having trouble finding candidates.  Some times, it's the employer's fault.  Sometimes they haven't done a good job with the job description: no keywords so it doesn't come up in searches, asking for someone with qualifications that are impossible to get (ie 10 years of experience on a technology that came out 5 years ago), etc.

I've also seen job descriptions that want a bunch of quals, then say "B.S. degree with 0-1 year of experience."  That screams "I want someone who is an expert, but want to pay him like an amateur."  That never goes over well.

And always, networking.  It's cliche, but it's true.  Where's the job at?  Someone on here might know a guy, who knows a guy.

Edited by Blue
grammerz.

I maybe misunderstanding y'all.  He wants to advertise in a location that specializes in finding former military talent.  I know LinkedIn is generic.   I'll look at Indeed tonight.  

Huggy,

Try www.lucasgroup.com and see if they might offer a service that your buddy is interested in. I attended one of their hiring conferences as a new EE grad and 4 year enlisted vet back in 2002. Didn't end up landing a job there but it was a positive experience. The majority of people looking for work at this conference were dudes, dudettes transitioning from the commissioned side of the house, many were service academy grads.

• 3 weeks later...

If they are looking for entry level, try having them contact the veteran center on a college campus.  There seems to be a much larger amount of veterans in engineering than any other major.  They would be able to post job ads in the veteran center or pass information to relevant parties.