Pilot roller, pubs bag + commercial carry-on options

So, I've had to call "uncle" as I can no longer carry heavy bags to the aircraft--my back can no longer handle long bag drags with a lot of weight on my shoulders... yes I have to become one of "those guys".  I need some advice on what to buy so that I can roll it across the tarmac with checklists, headset, 1" binders, IPAD, etc...but also put it in the overhead for commercial flying with a flightsuit and boots.  Probably something that I can place another bag on top of, so I can roll two on one like airline pilots do.

I know there was a thread awhile back where a guy was pitching his pilot, rolling, pubs/nav bag, but I couldn't find that thread anymore. I've seen the 130 NAVs that bring their handy roller bag that they can sit on in the cockpit, any idea where to get those and if it is worth being identified as a NAV?  I can't imagine you can get a lot in those bags for commercial flights though.

I've seen the 130 NAVs that bring their handy roller bag that they can sit on in the cockpit, any idea where to get those and if it is worth being identified as a NAV? 

I think this is the one you are talking about http://www.zuca.com.  Looks like they have expanded their line quite a bit since the last time I saw them.  You can even get one with a unicorn and rainbow (requested by the nav community i assume), and IIRC they have one with rollerblade wheels that have lights in them.

• Upvote 1

I think this is the one you are talking about http://www.zuca.com.  Looks like they have expanded their line quite a bit since the last time I saw them.  You can even get one with a unicorn and rainbow (requested by the nav community i assume), and IIRC they have one with rollerblade wheels that have lights in them.

The Zuca Pro is actually very legit.  I've had mine for almost 7 years and have only had to replace the wheels once.  

http://www.amazon.com/Zuca-Pro-Travel-matching-cover/dp/B00DHI062O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447775647&sr=8-1&keywords=zuca+sport+pro

You can have a seat anywhere you are with this thing (flat top made of aircraft grade aluminum alloy).  Also you'll always have something flat to step onto if you need it for a ladder.  Best of all, you can roll it between the aisles of a commercial aircraft and it'll fit in the overhead bin.  I find it's best for 5-7 day trips.    

I have the 22 inch, got the light (plastic) frame. It's only a few pounds lighter than the metal one but difference is very noticeable.  I was commuting when I bought, which made the 22 in a better choice.  Now that I live in base I plan on upgrading to a 26 as soon as I can suck up the cost .  Far as the plastic, I doubt it will last as long as the metal frame, but a year later its holding up well.  If you plan on commuting long term, I'd lean towards metal.  You can tell who commutes and who lives in base by bag condition.  To Tonka, while the roller bags are easier to move around than a backpack, so far the durable bags I've found come with the tradeoff of being very heavy.  Which matters when slinging them in an overhead.  So I dont know if that'll solve your back problems.

I heard many stories like Huggy's, which is why I bought mine.  They hold up well and you can have them repaired/refurbed to like new at fairly reasonable prices when they do eventually get too banged up or torn.

Warrior, I looked at all the bags and decided I didn't really care where the pockets were, I didn't have that detailed a packing plan. I decided I wanted the light weight, bought the bag and made it work.  Far as 22 vs 26, the 22 fits in a standard overhead, which might matter if you commute.