HuggyU2

2 hours ago, BFM this said:

Doesn’t quite whistle like the 6k# Dog Whistle it was based on, but still looks purty in flight.

Correct. It's sound like a T-38 instead. 
And it puts out in Mil what a T-38 puts out in Max... 5800 lbs of thrust. 
it only weights around 9400 lbs with 2 pilots, full wings and tips. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Correct. It's sound like a T-38 instead. 
And it puts out in Mil what a T-38 puts out in Max... 5800 lbs of thrust. 
it only weights around 9400 lbs with 2 pilots, full wings and tips. 

Didn’t the A-37 replace the motors with 38 engines back in the day? I thought I heard a story that they would loiter with an engine shut down and start the second when they started maneuvering. Valid?

The engines are J-85-13, whereas the T-38 are J-85-5s.  The -13's put out more thrust.  

And yes, you get to cruise and shut one down.  Max of 30 minutes for oil issues.  Everything I know about that in the operational real-world I learned second hand.  Springer would be the one to talk to this, since I've never cruised long enough to worry about shutting down an engine for range.  

Initial takeofff at sea level, you will see 170 KIAS and 40 deg nose high on your departure.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2022 at 7:45 PM, Danger41 said:

Didn’t the A-37 replace the motors with 38 engines back in the day? I thought I heard a story that they would loiter with an engine shut down and start the second when they started maneuvering. Valid?

They were built from the ground up with J-85's although I believe the prototype (YAT-37D) was a T-37 with J-85's replacing the original J-69 engines.   Note the screen below the intake.  It would come up on engine start to protect the engine from FOD and retract on TO. 

Yes, one engine could be shut down when loitering.  Configured (normal) as it is in the photo, it carried more external fuel than it did internally.

Huggy is a very lucky guy as the plane is fun to fly and has no bad flt characteristics.

A-37 Honduras.png

Edited by Springer
  • Like 4

On 8/31/2022 at 6:34 PM, slc said:

Idle, neutral, aft, "needle left, spinning left"??, kick, stick, recover........ I think that's it? Lol

Come on guys I am older than most of you; lets get it right:

Throttles – Idle

Rudder and Ailerons – Neutral

Stick – Abruptly full aft and hold

Rudder – Abruptly apply full rudder opposite spin direction (opposite turn needle) and hold

Stick – Abruptly full forward one turn after applying rudder

Controls – Neutral after spinning stops and recover from dive

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, brabus said:

I wonder if kids these days all wear blues if one guy s up the boldface. That was a pretty effective way to get people to learn it quickly!

I was more worried about being told to "have a seat" vs "sit down" than wearing blues.  But it did suck wearing blues lol.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
3 hours ago, b52gator said:

Went to a goat rope fly-in yesterday.  One of my biggest fears since returnng to GA is a pattern mid air so I played it safe and held.  Then this at Reno. My heart goes out to their families and those that witness it.  

On 9/17/2023 at 10:10 PM, Springer said:

My heart goes out to their families and those that witness it.  

This

• Upvote 1