What's your favorite US based airline

What's your favorite airline?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite airline, and why?

• American/US Airways
    • Delta
    • United
    • Jet Blue
    • Southwest
    • Alaska
    • Other

The one with the cheapest fare headed where I need to go. I'm loyal only to my wallet. (Sort of)

I hate hate hate US Air/American. But since that's the gov contract for everywhere I go (often), I've got status and miles with them.

So my favorite airline is the one I hate the most...

My wife and I experienced delays and poor customer service nearly every time we've flown Delta. I tend to give second and third chances because sh*t happens, but Delta has been wrong too many times for me. SW has always been spot-on and I can usually find direct fares for cheaper than most places with multiple layovers (timing dependent). Plus, the fleet is entirely 737s, which is nice.

• 2 months later...

Here's a fun one:

I'm Delta Silver Medallion, planning a trip from Italy to Florida for February (two months ago I planned this trip). I find out that American has a 1 stop option through British Airways via LGW. I call up American and they will do a 90 day Status Challenge to Platinum (fly 10,000 Elite Qualifying Points), and give me Gold status to match my Silver Medallion. Sounds great, but they can't activate the challenge until 6 weeks prior to the 90 day clock (math in public, but Feb minus 90 = Dec, Dec - 6 weeks = End of October). So fast forward to now, I call them up and find out they have stopped offering Status Challenge, and won't apply it to my AAdvantage account, even though I was told 2 months ago that they put a note on my account and would honor the request *whenever* I called back in (I even planned out the call-back date with the rep on the phone).

So now the question:

With USAA's trip insurance (okay, not really theirs, but offered through their site), I can cancel for any reason for a full refund. Anybody tried that and had good results? 

• 2 weeks later...

SWA & JetBlue by far - generally on time, good customer service, and they've never lost my bag.  Never flown Virgin or Alaska but have heard good things.  Almost every single time I've flown on one of the big 4 (now 3) in the last decade, it's been cramped, I get in late, they lose my luggage, and/or their service is crap.  Also, their flight attendants look like AARP cover models.

I know there are valid reason why, but when you compare them to European and Middle Eastern flag carriers, it's embarrassing.

Here's a fun one:

I'm Delta Silver Medallion, planning a trip from Italy to Florida for February (two months ago I planned this trip). I find out that American has a 1 stop option through British Airways via LGW. I call up American and they will do a 90 day Status Challenge to Platinum (fly 10,000 Elite Qualifying Points), and give me Gold status to match my Silver Medallion. Sounds great, but they can't activate the challenge until 6 weeks prior to the 90 day clock (math in public, but Feb minus 90 = Dec, Dec - 6 weeks = End of October). So fast forward to now, I call them up and find out they have stopped offering Status Challenge, and won't apply it to my AAdvantage account, even though I was told 2 months ago that they put a note on my account and would honor the request *whenever* I called back in (I even planned out the call-back date with the rep on the phone).

So now the question:

With USAA's trip insurance (okay, not really theirs, but offered through their site), I can cancel for any reason for a full refund. Anybody tried that and had good results? 

Yes, I've canceled a few trips using the trip insurance that usaa offers. Depending on the level of protection you purchased it can be as simple as sending proof that you did cancel your reservation to getting a memo signed by someone you work with citing a military requirement. Very little push back each time and funds were delivered quickly.

• 2 weeks later...