The Pentagon paid 14 NFL teams $5.4 million to 'salute troops'

Steve Davies

I think that the world view of America is that it is a country rooted in the deepest sense of patriotism and respect for its armed forces... so the idea that one of America's national sporting bodies (and associated teams) was taking money to salute the troops is a little shocking.

The Pentagon paid 14 NFL teams $5.4 million to 'salute troops'

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/the-pentagon-paid-14-nfl-teams-dollar54-million-to-salute-troops/ar-BBjFQq9?ocid=iehp

• Upvote 1

This is a real shame. It confirms long-held suspicions about the disingenous nature of the "salute the troops" initiatives. I personally don't blame the DOD for spending the equivalent of pennies on the dollar in the budget to gain some publicity for GI Joe and garner a recruiting opportunity simultaneously. The more disappointing part is that it reveals how the NFL, held in such high-esteem by so many Americans, not only doesn't provide these thank-you opportunities gratis, but actually takes money from the taxpayer to do them. It seems like the ultimate expression of greed to me.

However, I don't think it impugns the patriotism of and respect paid by average Americans.

Ah, I wonder how many individuals $5.4M USD would have saved in the RIF...I know I know, colors of money and such, but I feel the same way about EOY money being spent on flat screen televisions and unwanted/unneeded office furniture.

• Upvote 1

Considering how "holier than thou" the NFL has become, it's a little more than annoying that they decided "we'll salute the troops...but that's gonna cost you some money". The NFL as a whole is one of the most profitable businesses out there these days. Hard to believe they needed over $5 million to "salute" the troops.

• Upvote 1

What bites even more is that the National Football League is an unincorporated nonprofit 501(c )(6) association, meaning its league office is not subject to income tax because it does not make a profit. It considers itself a trade association made up of and financed by its 32 member teams.

Each individual team (except the non-profit Green Bay Packers) is subject to tax because they make a profit...

What bites even more is that the National Football League is an unincorporated nonprofit 501(c )(6) association, meaning its league office is not subject to income tax because it does not make a profit. It considers itself a trade association made up of and financed by its 32 member teams.

Each individual team (except the non-profit Green Bay Packers) is subject to tax because they make a profit...

Not any longer: http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/28/news/companies/nfl-tax-exempt-status/

LS

A. That is why I love the Packers. You never see the "owner" with lots a camera time during the game. I think its in NFL law that TV must show Jerry Jones every game.

B. NLF, take your black eye of taking millions from the gov't in the name of the troops and do something meaningful with it. Oh, please don't produce any cheerleader posters, we can't put those up in the office anymore, SARC and all.

C. Brady is a cheater. I mean, really, how can he stand at the mike and say he has no idea how a ball feels. That is like a surgeon saying he doesn't know if his scalpel is good, or Tiger or "pick your pro golpher" saying he has no idea how the club feels, or the race car driver and how the car feels. You're supposed to be a pro at throwing the football, you better damn well know how you want your balls to feel. I know how I want my balls to feel!

Beer is out and so am I

• Upvote 2

I'm Shocked, Shocked I tell you that the DOD paid for that and the NFL took the money. The NFL that paragon of American virtue, and values. Excuse me , I have to sign off to kill my fighting dogs, pregnant girlfriends, punch my wife in the mouth, and perform a drive by shooting. But hey we took care of the under inflated footballs.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...