Accelerating a waiver?

di1630

I had an accident which required a fusion of my vertebrae. I know this is FC2 waiverable but the waiver guide says its 6 mos DNIF. My docs say I should be healed in 2 months and good to go.

Anyone know if there is a way to appeal to get the time reduced if all tests/x-rays come back normal?

The FS can submit a waiver at any time, but if it goes against the waiver guide recommendations, it's unlikely to be approved, therefore, you need to have a very good reason to submit ahead of schedule. Even then, the FS is disinclined to do it early because they're working for something with a small chance of desired results.
Keep in mind that the waiver guide is de facto policy, while AFI 48-123 and the waiver authority provide de jure policy. Plenty of people have gone against the waiver guide and been approved because they had significant support to overcome the generic "rules" to convince the waiver authority. Talk to your FS and see if he thinks this applies in your case. I haven't seen many waivers for this particular diagnosis, but you probably need the CT/MRI on top of the X-ray to push this route.

• 1 month later...

Your best case is to find some sort of medical study published in a peer revied journal that has people returning to our style of work in a shorter amount of time than 6 months.

Case in point, I had a disc replacement. Waiver guide says 6 months DNIF for replacement, but I have a study from 2010 that follows SEALs and Marine infantry after having disc replacement done. They were back to helocasting and jumping after 3 months. I'm going to submit the waiver at the 3 month point and see what they say.

My FS is on board, but of course the tune changes if you're in an ejection seat aircraft, which I am not.

• 1 year later...
On 5/4/2015 at 2:18 PM, El Sloppo said:

Your best case is to find some sort of medical study published in a peer revied journal that has people returning to our style of work in a shorter amount of time than 6 months.

Case in point, I had a disc replacement. Waiver guide says 6 months DNIF for replacement, but I have a study from 2010 that follows SEALs and Marine infantry after having disc replacement done. They were back to helocasting and jumping after 3 months. I'm going to submit the waiver at the 3 month point and see what they say.

How did the waiver go? Time frame?  Is multi-level replacement waiver-able, or just single level? 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm curious if they do waivers for incentive flights? I'm a non-flyer with L5-S1 (lumbar) spinal fusion post op, no pain, CT scan showing solid fusion, no hardware movement. Surgery was in dec 2015, Fit as a horse now, full fitness test with all components. Has anyone seen an incentive flight in an ejection seat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Mikelh83 said:

I'm curious if they do waivers for incentive flights? I'm a non-flyer with L5-S1 (lumbar) spinal fusion post op, no pain, CT scan showing solid fusion, no hardware movement. Surgery was in dec 2015, Fit as a horse now, full fitness test with all components. Has anyone seen an incentive flight in an ejection seat?

I doubt you'd get a waiver for an incentive flight, but the medical process for an incentive is nowhere near as in depth as a Class 1.  A Flight Doc would have to say for sure, but everything is good now, I wouldn't think it would be an issue.  Ejection seat aircraft do incentive rides all the time.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

No waivers required for incentive flight of non aviators.  The flight doc will do an incentive flight physical and determine if you can fly.  Sometimes folks are cleared to fly with restrictions such as limiting G loads or altitude restrictions.