Remote CONUS assignment?

V737d

Howdy,

Ex-135 driver no longer on active duty.

Can anyone steer me towards the proper reg/inst/pub that defines what qualifies as a remote assignment?

Rumor says Laughlin was considered a remote many many years ago, then a new "front gate" was built and the base just squeaked under the mileage limit.

No huge issue on this just curious.

Cheers

Chris

• Upvote 1

Howdy,

Ex-135 driver no longer on active duty.

Can anyone steer me towards the proper reg/inst/pub that defines what qualifies as a remote assignment?

Rumor says Laughlin was considered a remote many many years ago, then a new "front gate" was built and the base just squeaked under the mileage limit.

No huge issue on this just curious.

Cheers

Chris

In Arizona, Gila Bend AFAF back when it was military manned before going contractor, was a CONUS remote. As was the former Mt Lemmon AFS communications facility in the Catalina mountains just north of Tucson when it was the hub for SAC comms with the 18 Titan II ICBM silos here.

Edited by MD

http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/externaldirectives/1300.2a.pdf
Page 13.

I can't find an AF reference, but the Navy says it must be within 2 hours normal driving time to health care services. Laughlin, that is not.
According to Google Maps, that gets you to Castroville and that makes several people I know on unofficial accompanied remote assignments.

Edited by sky_king

http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/externaldirectives/1300.2a.pdf

Page 13.

I can't find an AF reference, but the Navy says it must be within 2 hours normal driving time to health care services. Laughlin, that is not.

According to Google Maps, that gets you to Castroville and that makes several people I know on unofficial accompanied remote assignments.

Del Rio does have a hospital.

This isn't the direct answer you're hoping to get, but it is a lead to find one.

Look in the PPC directory on myPers. There are a number of codes for CONUS remote assignments, and each one has a POC listed with a phone number and often an e-mail address. You could look for something at the location in question, or just find a good POC somewhere in AFPC.

AFI 36-2110

A3.2.1. Stations may be designated as CONUS-isolated when:

A3.2.1.1. The one-way distance to minimum adequate community support is more than 50 miles or over 1 and 1/2 hours drive in normal weather conditions from the station. Community support includes government or non-government facilities and services, such as adequate family housing, medical and dental care, essential shopping facilities, reasonable recreational facilities, and religious services.

A3.2.1.2. Travel between duty station, residence, and support facilities is determined to be complicated by hazardous weather, marginal roads, or lack of commercial transportation which places the Airman in a greater risk.

So the CONUS remote criteria should be based on your daughter's health needs? That's what the EFMP is for.

Was the EFMP acceptable solution stationed at Laughlin with care in San Antonio? In that case, EFMP isn't working.

So the CONUS remote criteria should be based on your daughter's health needs? That's what the EFMP is for.

See below

Was the EFMP acceptable solution stationed at Laughlin with care in San Antonio? In that case, EFMP isn't working.

Yep. Tell me about it. I had an O-6 and several O-5s thinking the same thing. I even appealed, had it approved and then denied the day I started my drive to PIT. I'm taking every opportunity I can to get a paid vacation to San Antonio that I can though.

Edited by sky_king

Del Rio got some type of waiver. It was brought up while I was a UPT student there. The aero phys doc at the time stood up and asked a non-pre-planted question to the AETC/CC? (I don't remember who it was, nor did I care). He was taken aback and the Wg/CC at the time stood up and said they had approved some type of waiver. But the basic answer was "I'll have somebody look into that and never get back to you".