Shhhh...Don't talk about the A-10

precontact

An official U.S. Air Force documentary about the A-10 Warthog . Never formally released to the public.

The high def full version is great. It is in the hands of the right people.

Apparently after seeing the video, USAF leadership deemed it too "pro A-10" which could hurt divestment efforts and ordered it destroyed...only to release and promote the similar F-16 version.

Nothing says "thanks" to a community for years of deployments than censoring a video that praises your work.

Reason #69 I don't trust our political leadership and evidence they have zero F-ing clue on why they aren't trusted.

• Upvote 3

Damn it. That right there is why people want to leave. They love the flying. They love hanging out with the other dudes at work. The pay could be better but is pretty good for the shit we get to do. And the sense of accomplishment when completing a mission is like no other.

And since we're not retards, we understand the nature of political and budgetary constraints. But when the AF downplays the contributions of a particular community to portray what they assume the politicians want to hear, that shit sucks. When the AF messes up the easy stuff, that's when people get mad.

Just tell the world our best stories, and tell us the truth about why things are happening.

Also, please explain the T-1 hate. God forbid the USAF buy a modified off the shelf product and use it to provide relevant training at a significantly reduced fuel cost while simultaneously reducing wear and tear on T-38s which are already ancient. With all the current acquisitions buffoonery, shouldn't the Tone be regarded as a rare triumph?

No hate. It's #8 on my top eight that I would cut, in order. I sincerely believe that pilots could be adequately prepared for most IQT programs with an extended T-6 only UPT syllabus. T-38 or T-X would still be necessary for the transition to fighter aircraft through IFF, but do we really need a three phase program for everyone and every plane?

No hate. It's #8 on my top eight that I would cut, in order. I sincerely believe that pilots could be adequately prepared for most IQT programs with an extended T-6 only UPT syllabus. T-38 or T-X would still be necessary for the transition to fighter aircraft through IFF, but do we really need a three phase program for everyone and every plane?

Yes

I would also prefer to go back to UPT vs SUPT but that is another thread.

The advanced trainer phase is there to raise daily standards, fly a more complex / faster aircraft and execute / manage more complicated training missions. Is flying a simulated tanker, air drop or form ride in a T-1 as demanding as the real thing nah but it is to develop those personal traits, habits and attitudes that will build a responsible aircraft commander who can manage and be part of a crew or formation, keep the mission in mind while keeping the crew focused, and fly the aircraft

Not trying to be preachy but it would be a big foul on the heavy community to turn loose on them guys going to the FP position who only flew one type of aircraft and did not have that next phase to develop before being winged and sent to the FTU.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Clark Griswold

I sincerely believe that pilots could be adequately prepared for most IQT programs with an extended T-6 only UPT syllabus.

For a brief time around 2004, this was the plan being strongly considered by AETC HQ.

Edited by Huggyu2

Every solution is possible with enough money.

It's hard to put yourself back in UPT, but the T-6 is a stupid simple plane. Like really, really simple. Even the T-1 isn't that complex after flying -135s. There needs to be something in the middle from going to T-6 direct C-5. I mean, you don't even do TOLD in the T-6, you get max torque for the day when you step!

I do believe the T-1 program is something the USAF got right. Crew mentality, multi engine scenarios, variable daily TOLD, shoots every type approach, reverse controls for AR, etc. We can go back to the T-X and teach all of that in the MWS, but it's gonna be going from a plane that cost $2k/hour to fly to something that's $25k/hour or more... for all 1200ish student pilots UPT graduates every year.

edit: wait, this is the A-10 thread?

Edited by xaarman

We can go back to the T-X and teach all of that in the MWS, but it's gonna be going from a plane that cost $2k/hour to fly to something that's $25k/hour or more... for all 400ish student pilots UPT graduates every year.edit: wait, this is the A-10 thread?

I think your numbers for UPT graduates is off. We do 400ish per year just at END.

How to annoy a F-35 pilot.

Press the vimeo button

Edited by Prosuper

But seriously man, can you imagine how old the anti-F35 arguments must be getting for the pilots walkin around in their day-to-day lives? At the end of the day, they're just doing their job. They must feel like the British Petroleum gas station employees after the Deepwater Horizon blowout. Add the modern social media world, combined with the overly PC politicians and chain of command, and these guys gotta feel like they're always in the hot seat. It would be nice if all they had to say was "look it's not a perfect design but it's the best we got and the only legit 5th gen design in production right now, and we're committed to making it work" and have that be the end of it.

• Upvote 1

But seriously man, can you imagine how old the anti-F35 arguments must be getting for the pilots walkin around in their day-to-day lives? At the end of the day, they're just doing their job. They must feel like the British Petroleum gas station employees after the Deepwater Horizon blowout. Add the modern social media world, combined with the overly PC politicians and chain of command, and these guys gotta feel like they're always in the hot seat. It would be nice if all they had to say was "look it's not a perfect design but it's the best we got and the only legit 5th gen design in production right now, and we're committed to making it work" and have that be the end of it.

It's like being the rope in a game of tug of war. Nobody has a beef with the rope, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck to be said rope.

Touting it as the "Jack of all trades, Master of none" probably isn't the best sales pitch. How is this guy authorized to speak publicly off the cuff to foreign press about this?

I'm guessing he forgot the cardinal rule of "don't talk to the press.... Ever."

• Upvote 3

I hear the IG report on the ACC/CV "treason" remarks is complete.

Any bets on what happens to him?

I'll bet he gets moved out of the job and into some Pentagon staff job until retirement.

That's still the bet I'm sticking with.
  • Upvote 1

That's still the bet I'm sticking with.

was reprimanded by head of ACC, moved out of the post... pending transfer to some desk deep in the pentagon. case closed

also, was i the only one who felt the pilot was basically saying ditch all the f-16s and keep the a-10? WHAAATTTTTTT!?!