F-16 Crash At Tyndall

F-15E WSO

USAF Lieutenant Colonel (ret) Matthew J. LaCourse, served 22 honorable years before working as an Air Force civilian. I obviously didn't know that man and I'm not too familiar with Air Force tradition but from what I'm reading he was a hell of a guy.

A lot of retired O-5's and 6's killed in last few years working for these civilian/contractors.

1. Tactical aircraft have no business in a for profit operation, or any operation not 100% funded for full capability and safety.

2. If you survived long enough to retirement, do your family a solid and let it go man.

Maybe we can stem the flow of retired brass turning into memorial services?

• Downvote 1

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with your first point. He was a government civilian, hardly a for profit organization. This is not a tactical unit, they do weapons testing and evaluation. GS civilians provide great continuity for operations like this and in Developmental Test, and allows them to continue to serve and fly when they're not allowed to do so in the military. They meet the same medical standards as us.

Retired aviators that return as GS provide an incredible cost savings to the government, amazing continuity during military turnover, and incredible learning experiences for those military flyers (not only medical, but they meet the same flying standards as well)... I would suggest we could actually expand their role in many state side flying billets and be much better off because of it. I have no doubt that Matt was an accomplished aviator and his role as GS did not impact this tragedy.

Him him.

A lot of retired O-5's and 6's killed in last few years working for these civilian/contractors.

1. Tactical aircraft have no business in a for profit operation, or any operation not 100% funded for full capability and safety.

2. If you survived long enough to retirement, do your family a solid and let it go man.

Maybe we can stem the flow of retired brass turning into memorial services?

Clearly you absolutely no knowledge of this situation nor Tyndall f-16s

Does any body know if that was a QF-16A if it was out of Tyndall, they have stocking up on them after the QF-4E's were depleted? As to retired guys flying military acft you might have a point but who has the experience to pass down to young Capt's. If you ever go to a depot and pick up your jet the guy launching you out in the postdock area has probably been working your MDS probably before you were born.

Does any body know if that was a QF-16A if it was out of Tyndall, they have stocking up on them after the QF-4E's were depleted? As to retired guys flying military acft you might have a point but who has the experience to pass down to young Capt's. If you ever go to a depot and pick up your jet the guy launching you out in the postdock area has probably been working your MDS probably before you were born.

From what I've heard, yes, It was a QF-16A.

Corrected by Termy below.

Nickel on the grass

Edited by Seriously

Retired aviators that return as GS provide an incredible cost savings to the government, amazing continuity during military turnover, and incredible learning experiences for those military flyers (not only medical, but they meet the same flying standards as well)... I would suggest we could actually expand their role in many state side flying billets and be much better off because of it. I have no doubt that Matt was an accomplished aviator and his role as GS did not impact this tragedy.

Him him.

Agreed - have flown with DACs (Dept of the Army Civilians) and that level of experience, knowledge and maturity they carry is sorely needed in many places in the USAF.

I haven't flown or worked with the GS pilots serving the USAF but I have no doubt that he was great, let the facts come out and make the call then.

Edited by Clark Griswold

As far as I know, it's the traditional ending to the song "Dear Mom, your son is dead". Full line is "Him, him, F**k him/ how did he go/ straight in/ what was he doing/ 169/ indicated?/ Yeah" I'll defer to the fighter boys that probably know more than I do about this one though.