War on Ebola

HU&W

So should we do the same thing with AIDS? I mean that has an equal chance of mutating and finding a natural reservoir in the Western Hemisphere right (as in pretty much zero).

No because AIDS is already here and very well understood, expensive to treat but manageable and far easier to prevent. Ebola is incredibly virulent, vastly more contagious and not completely understood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So should we do the same thing with AIDS? I mean that has an equal chance of mutating and finding a natural reservoir in the Western Hemisphere right (as in pretty much zero).

Sadly, we missed that opportunities in the 1970's. Look what that decision has cost us.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.live5news.com/story/27323882/jbc-pilot-with-flu-like-symptoms-screened-for-ebola-at-musc

He never left the plane and was on the ground for 3hrs. Hopefully it's just the flu, and probably is. Although, with all the gunk built up on the stick/throttles, you'd think -17 crewdawgs would have a hardier immune system.

Seriously though, here's to hoping to a speedy recovery.

• 3 months later...

Just curious if Clark Griswold has come out of his underground shelter in wake of the Ebola virus that nearly made our species extinct this past fall. It was a close one, but a few of us survivors have managed to rebuild society.

Just curious if Clark Griswold has come out of his underground shelter in wake of the Ebola virus that nearly made our species extinct this past fall. It was a close one, but a few of us survivors have managed to rebuild society.

Alive and well out of the bunker with my tin foil helmet - I'm sure my argument for stomping on the human rights of others to come to our country with a Level 4 biohazard so they can vomit blood and infect healthcare workers is completely offensive so I guess we can just agree to disagree.

Edited by Clark Griswold

Coda (hopefully)

Summary on the Ebola response from wiki, US is winding down our mission but I think we can put this one in the win column, with the media giving the response a passing grade only.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2014/10/04/how-ebola-sped-out-of-control/

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2015/02/11/385489704/the-u-s-helped-beat-back-ebola-only-not-in-the-way-you-might-think

Basically their critique is: the world didn't respond fast enough or with enough and by the world they mean the US, Europe, Japan, etc.. NPR's view was the best impact the US military had was in presence and logistics. Critiques not entirely without merit but unless the usual suspects in our alliances (NATO, SEATO, UN, etc.) want to pony up forces, resources and manpower on a regular schedule like an on-call AEF for whatever disaster comes up that we feel compelled to respond based on size, severity or national/world interest, the responses are always going to be reinventing the wheel, ad hoc and slow to start.

Coda (hopefully)

Summary on the Ebola response from wiki, US is winding down our mission but I think we can put this one in the win column, with the media giving the response a passing grade only.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2014/10/04/how-ebola-sped-out-of-control/

http://www.npr.org/blogs/goatsandsoda/2015/02/11/385489704/the-u-s-helped-beat-back-ebola-only-not-in-the-way-you-might-think

Basically their critique is: the world didn't respond fast enough or with enough and by the world they mean the US, Europe, Japan, etc.. NPR's view was the best impact the US military had was in presence and logistics. Critiques not entirely without merit but unless the usual suspects in our alliances (NATO, SEATO, UN, etc.) want to pony up forces, resources and manpower on a regular schedule like an on-call AEF for whatever disaster comes up that we feel compelled to respond based on size, severity or national/world interest, the responses are always going to be reinventing the wheel, ad hoc and slow to start.

There are only so many healthcare professionals to lend to 3d world countries in the US military. We have assets for logistics, presence, and fighting. Did they want us to shoot a virus?

There are only so many healthcare professionals to lend to 3d world countries in the US military. We have assets for logistics, presence, and fighting. Did they want us to shoot a virus?

point taken but where these crises tend to happen is where there is no security/stability, logistics infrastructure, we (military) can provide that and then outsource the touchy feely to the NGOs

so they can vomit blood and infect healthcare workers is completely offensive so I guess we can just agree to disagree.

...because that happened a lot. Hordes of barfing death zombies. Stay prepared.

...because that happened a lot. Hordes of barfing death zombies. Stay prepared.

All the time - every Sunday night on AMC

Follow on quibble:

I don't predict a horde of flesh eating zombies and the video imbed of Game Over man Game Over was about as appropriate as a fart in church while trying to be serious but I've been surprised by the skepticism expressed for the unlikely but possible crisis of a fast moving pandemic. Look at SARS, H1NI, Swine Flu, etc... fast moving via wildlife and air travel and now look at new diseases like West Nile virus that are endemic in the US, shit really can happen. An open society, reasonable and humane borders and concern for others are important but all of those things only can be if you operate from a place of security and stability, loose travel from areas that are experiencing outbreaks of a deadly, highly contagious, virus with a significant incubation period doesn't fit in the smart move column. Just my two cents.

Edited by Clark Griswold
  • Upvote 1