Trucks

murdocjxx

I upgraded from a 2002 to a 2011 F-150 4x4 XLT. I routinely haul a race motorcycle and my equipment with me to tracks.

Pros:

- 5.0 has a lot of power, cruise just under 80 for hours and get 15.5 MPG. 80-85+ you can tell that it is not shaped like a Corvette.

- Cabin noise is pretty silent

- 15.2 MPG commuting to base on 87 octane. EcoBoost requires 91/93.

- The digital dash has a cool flat panel screen that gives you neat info about your truck (mpg, servicing, truck climb/roll angle, front wheel deflection.)

- Every part of it feels like it is built like a tank

- Turning radius is significantly better than my 2002.

- 36 gallon tank is awesome

- Brakes are awesome.

- No issues with the tailgate supporting myself, a 400lb bike, and ramp weight.

Cons:

- It's too f'n big. I wanted a Tacoma but they're nearly the same size, and haven't been updated since 2005.

- Blind spots. The improved side mirrors help, but the rear seats are set up so that the headrests block the corners of the truck when looking behind to back up.

- Nitpicky, but because everything is bigger, it takes two hands to put on the seat belt as opposed to one motion in my older truck. Pedantic, but annoying.

- Stereo was lesser quality then the Dodge Ram 1500 rental I had. The dot matrix 2 line radio screen looks a bit hokey compared to the sweet LCD in my dash.

- The MPG it calculates is exactly .5 MPH too generous every fill up.

- It's too f'n big. Bring back the Ford Ranger.

- With the Ford OEM bedliner, the hooks are set into the plastic so they are a pain to get tie downs on

- With a 36 gallon tank, most pumps automatically shut off at $95/$100 so you have to do two transactions every fill up.

- The center bench seat is awkwardly big when down, yet awkwardly flat to sit in when up. Also, the headrest blocks your rear view.

If I had to do it again, I'd definitely buy the truck, but get one with a backup camera.

I'd also wait for the 2015 F-150s coming out here soon.. They have all new engine options and a potential game changer of an all aluminum body that gives dramatic weight savings.

Edited by xaarman
  • Upvote 2

My '14 Ecoboost owners manual recommends 87 octane. I've never put a drop of premium fuel in my truck. The $100 cutoff used to annoy me, but now I don't bother with the second transaction. It's usually only a couple gallons more for the top off, and after I've spent $100 on gas I don't care to spend any more. I still get that sweet 650+ mile range displayed.

I agree the bedliner hooks are annoying, so I put some cheap carabiners on them. It helps some. Though if I fill the bed completely with dirt or gravel I still can't get to them.

Definitely get a backup camera. I bought a full size truck for the sole reason that I wanted something large and obnoxious. America. So while I'll never complain about it being too big, get the camera.

I only occasionally tow, but if I was a regular tower I would get the max tow option for the wider wheelbase.

The one downside to the Ecoboost is the location of stuff in the engine. It's a standard Duratec engine which wasn't designed for the F150 originally, so the oil filter and oil pan are in really odd spots. It is physically impossible to change the oil without making a mess.

chevy-colorado-diesel.jpg

I'm seriously considering a diesel 2016 Colorado for my next vehicle.

I think it looks great. The engine will be bullet proof, get great (for a truck) MPG, still be able to haul a decent load for being a mid-sized truck, and Chevy has made this generation of vehicles have an option of being a 4G wifi hotspot.

Edited by StoleIt

I've always been partial to the Dodge Ram 1500. I've owned a '99 and an '08, and I only sold them because of two OCONUS PCSs. This review of the '14 Ecodiesel has me looking really closely at getting my third when I go back.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/1402_2014_ram_1500_is_motor_trend_2014_truck_of_the_year/photo_31.html

• Upvote 1

Had a '11 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie before my OCONUS PCS. I can't sing it's praises enough. Not only did the 5.7L Hemi pack a powerful punch, but it rode like a car on the streets and, IMO, is the best looking truck on the market

The multi link rear goes a long way to improving the truck ride. However, it still maintains as one of the best towing trucks in any of its available weight classes despite the old attitude that you need a solid axel and leaf springs to do it.

I'd buy an Eco diesel ram in a heart beat if I wasn't already sitting in two paid off cars. That Fiat diesel has been on the market for over a decade and well proven, combined with an 8 speed tranny you have a sub 10k towing half ton that gets high twenties on the highway.

If you want new wait for the new F-150... Otherwise the Dodge is a great truck. The cost of the diesel though is tough to justify.

You can thank the eco lobby for slowing the adoption of high efficiency diesel in America. PR campaigns on how diesel is dirty or forcing different emission requirements closing off huge swaths of market (IE California). We are easily a decade behind the power curve but thanks to eco requirements the wide field of Asian and Euro market Diesel vehicles including the ones of US manufacture.

Whats funny is all the PR on diesel being bad is now coming back to bite them because its the only way for manufactures to meet the ever increasing average mileage requirement while keeping Americans in the larger Cars/SUVs they are accustomed too. They thought they could starve out that market for small hybrid/electric vehicles.

Find a Hilux and ship it over. Diesel, good gas mileage (without armor), and pretty damn tough.

US won't allow it. You have a better chance of getting an MRAP on the streets.

Gotta be 25 years or older then it's game on. My 1986 BJ70 is JDM.

Since we're in dream mode...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWvMR7YBh-w

Edited by B*D*A