Trucks

murdocjxx

Had a 98 Tacoma for years. Beat the hell out of it off-road and it never missed a beat. If I had the $$ and didn't mind the size (bigger than Ford/GMC), I'd get a Tundra. As it is, my next truck will be another Tacoma. My current GMC has been a pain.

Edited by nunya
  • Upvote 1

Buy American.

There's a reason the f150 is the #1 selling truck in the world.

Nice soundbite. Toyota makes 4 of the top 10 Most American vehicles. #5 is the Tundra. 7 of the top 10 are Honda or Toyota. As recently as 2011, the Tundra was more "American" than the F-150.

So if you want American-made in 2014, just don't buy GM or Dodge.

:usa:

(In fairness, yes, I know there are other indexes with different weightings that end up with different results. Point is nothing is "American" or "Foreign" anymore.) My GM truck was built in Indiana. So was my Toyota Highlander.)

Edited by nunya
  • Upvote 3

After test driving the usual suspects I decided on the F150 with the Ecoboost. All the power of a V8 with the efficiency of a smaller V6. I really liked the Tundra, but the 150 had more of the creature comforts and techno features. Plus I'm partial to Fords.

So far I love everything about it, but I haven't had it long enough for reliability feedback.

Whatever you do, don't get a Titan. Overpriced and under-delivered compared to everyone else.

Tundras are built in San Antonio, IIRC. Part of the plant is built on a ranch dating back to 1794. Hence, the 1794 Tundra version. Expensive, but nice. Got a 2002 Tundra which is smaller than the current version. Standard maintenance done by me. Only problem has been an O2 sensor which I replaced.

• Upvote 1

I drove them all and got a Tundra. The F-150 was nice but I've pretty much gone all Toyota since I got a Tacoma in 07. Besides the Tacoma I've had a couple of land cruisers and a Sienna. The quality and reliability is much better than any domestic, imo.

• Upvote 1

Nice soundbite. Toyota makes 4 of the top 10 Most American vehicles. #5 is the Tundra. 7 of the top 10 are Honda or Toyota. As recently as 2011, the Tundra was more "American" than the F-150.

So if you want American-made in 2014, just don't buy GM or Dodge.

:usa:

(In fairness, yes, I know there are other indexes with different weightings that end up with different results. Point is nothing is "American" or "Foreign" anymore.) My GM truck was built in Indiana. So was my Toyota Highlander.)

That same website you linked shows f150 as the #1 most American made vehicle.

There's more to it than where your vehicle is "assembled"...where are the components made? Where are the parts made? Where are the spare parts made, warehoused, sold from? Where does the money the auto company makes go? Where does the auto company employ people? Where does that paycheck money go? Where do the primary stock holders live and where does their money go?

I realize we live in a partially globalized economy and nothing is black and white anymore. But there are significant tangential and "trickle down" benefits to buying American...even if your engine block is cast in Mexico or your tranny is built by dodge.

/edit for stupid smartphone

Edited by HossHarris

Had a Chevy truck for 8 years and had nothing but problems. I've had 3 Toyota trucks, one with 240,000 miles and had zero problems.

I would recommend a Tacoma over a Tundra unless you'll always be in areas with wide lanes and big parking lots.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

• Upvote 1

I've got a 2014 Tundra and love it. I drove them all and decided between F-150 Ecoboost and Tundra. I liked the interior in the Tundra better, reliability and resale are both great, plus there is a ton of room in the cab if you get the Crewmax.

Only thing I don't like is the gas mileage but I have a second vehicle that does well in that aspect.

F-150 Ecoboost hands down. I get 20-21 MPG on the highway, it takes me camping/4 wheeling in the mountains, and can pull a 9K+ trailer with no problem. Amazing truck. Previous truck was a GMC with the 6.2L V8. No comparison.

If you haven't seen it yet, I'd wait and get a 2015 F-150.

Have a 2001 F-150 with 230,000 miles and still running strong, and a 2012 150 ecoboost with 50k miles. Love the Eco boost. Great mileage, and can haul whatever you want anywhere you want. Hauled my ,01 f-150 on flatbed trailer behind '12 F-150 from OK to Albuquerque. 6,400' elevation change uphill and she pulled at 85 MPH the whole way without even breathing hard.

Edited by discus

I have a 2008 Tundra Crewmax and love it. I've had it about 2 years and 45k miles and nothing but routine maintenance. If you haul people often (or occasionally sleep in the cab on long trips) the backseat in the CrewMax is BY FAR the most comfortable on the market. Only downside is the gas mileage. I get 15.5 on oversized heavy semi aggressive BFG Rugged Terrains. When it comes time to get a new truck in a few years, it'll probably be between a Tundra and an Ecoboost.

2013 F-150 XLT 4x4 Ecoboost. Traded in my 2011 528 and I really only miss the gas mileage. Took it to beach and got right at 20 mpg, get 17ish daily. Love my truck. Supercrew with all bells and whistles. Tons of room. Haven't towed anything yet.

Herkbum

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

Edited by herkbum