Jump to content

GI Bill Transfer - VSP

Recommended Posts

This topic was touched on in the FY15 VSP thread, but no one had any real answers.

Has anyone who has been approved for the FY 14 or 15 VSP received any concrete info on Transfer of Education Benifits (TEB) for children? The PSDM states:

"6. Impact on Montgomery GI Bill and Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits: If a member has transferred benefits prior to approval to separate under VSP, then the member’s service obligation will be treated as complete. However, if the member attempts to transfer benefits for the first time after approval to separate under VSP, the member will not have sufficient retainability to enter into a service obligation and would not be approved for transfer."

Most people only associate the GI BILL TEB to the 4 year ADSC, but the VA site mentions:

From http://www.benefits....11_transfer.asp


  • May start to use the benefit only after the individual making the transfer has completed at least 10 years of service in the armed forces"

According to the verbiage in the PSDM ("obligations....complete") with not specification on 4 or 10 years, it sounds like anyone under 10 years is covered. But on the DD 214 when presented to the VA, it will say Service of < 10 years.

I see this being a huge problem in 15 years when I want to send my kids to school. No one at the AFPC or VA will give an answer, and if they do, they just say "If you didn't do 10, then you don't qualify." I'm thinking about lawyering up, but only have so much time left.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wouldn't worry about it. The VSP PDSM should trump everything. It will forgive all other time requirements, thats the whole point of it, everything is waived. Why don't you do a couple years in the guard or reserve to be safe if you're really worried? Welcome to the govt, nobody really knows anything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I have a bead on the conflict. From AFPC's website


Who is eligible for the transfer-to-dependent option?
The Post-9/11 GI Bill's transfer-to-dependent option is designed to help improve military recruiting retention and is only available to eligible active duty and Selected Reservists serving on or after Aug. 1, 2009. Eligibility requirements include service members who meet all Post-9/11 GI Bill eligibility requirements, have completed six years of service, commit to serving an additional four more years, and have registered their dependents in DEERS. Selected Reservists must meet the same requirement as regular Air Force members, but should contact their service component for exact eligibility requirements.

6 years AD + four years ADSC = 10 yrs of service



Question 8: How long can I use the Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits transferred to me?
Answer: If you are a spouse, you can begin using the transferred benefits after the transferor completes 6 years of service. If you are a child and you are at least 18 years of age (or you have completed your secondary school requirements), you can begin using the transferred benefits after the transferor completes 10 years of service. You remain eligible to use the transferred entitlement until the earliest of the following dates:

For a spouse:
  1. The transferor's ending date of eligibility (15 years from the transferor's last discharge from service); or
  2. The ending date specified by the transferor (if one was specified); or
  3. The effective date the transferor revokes the transferred entitlement; or
  4. If the transferor dies while on active duty, 15 years after the transferor's date of death.

For a child:
  1. Your 26th birthday; or
  2. The ending date specified by the transferor (if one was specified); or
  3. The effective date the transferor revokes the transferred entitlement.
NOTE: The transferor retains the right to revoke or modify the transfer at any time

Question 25: Will there be more guidance for the new GI Bill? What other sources are available on Post-9/11 GI Bill information?
Answer: Yes, guidance continues to be released on the Post-9/11 GI Bill from the DVA and DoD. Policy and procedures will be provided as soon as it becomes available. Source for official guidance on the GI Bill program is the DVA (www.gibill.va.gov). Source for official guidance for the Regular AF transfer-to-dependent option is AFPC/DPSIT (http://ask.afpc.randolph.af.mil/). Source for Selected Reserves is their Service component (AF Reserve Command or the National Guard Bureau).

I'd contact the AFPC/DPSIT folks and start there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...