Travel Advice

Slander

So obviously there are dudes living around the world and flying around the world here. I figured we should list our favorite cities and why, maybe someone gets a good idea.

I'll go first...

If you're single, go to Finland. Now. Unless you hate tall smoking hot blondes who think Americans are a commodity. I went a couple weeks ago and every single bar I walked into someone said "are you American? What the f are you doing in Helsinki? Let's have a shot!" The stereotype that Fins are quiet, reserved, and keep to themselves I found to be absolutely untrue. Recommend going in the summer...it's light out from 3:00am until 2:00am or so. I imagine the winter is about the opposite.

Also, Prague. You can get as trashy or as classy as you want there. See an opera in a 300 year old opera house then go to a strip club with midgets. Or something like that. Harleys and James Dean are the big expat bars near the astronomical clock square. I watched the bartenders nearly burn down Harleys when they started juggling flaming bottles of 151 at around 2:30 one morning.

What do you guys have? I'm always looking for new places to go...

Really? We go from Helsinki to B'Dubs at Little Rock? Try Riga - any bar/club in old town. Russian and Latvian chicks aren't ugly. Go in summer to see (very) short skirts and (very) high heels. Hong Kong - Bar scene in Wan Chai on any night is good, but hit it on a Saturday and even NSplayer could get laid. Lots more, but I could spend the rest of my life bouncing between those two cities and die happy.

Fun international cities that I've partied in:

St. John's, Canada

Dubai, UAE

Faro, Portugal

Seoul, ROK

Hong Kong

Sydney, Australia

Cities that are on my bucket list:

Dublin, Ireland

Bratislava, Slovakia

Prague, Czech

Bangkok, Thailand

Moscow, Russia

Rome, Italy

My list of best cities to visit/party:

Rome...everything is easily walkable

Budapest

Istanbul

Tokyo

Amsterdam...3 words: red light district

Brussels

Warsaw...TONS of good looking girls around

Boise...when school is in session. Don't knock it till you've been there!

My top cities:

1. Bangkok, because Thailand is my favorite country in the world, and everything about Bangkok is a good time

5. Bratislava, right on the Danube, cheaper, friendlier, cooler, less trash/drugs/prostitutes/homeless than Prague

6. Munich, beer houses

7. Hong Kong, expensive and crowded, but awesome

8. Salzburg, beautiful everything, and Mozart

ETA:

Caribbean destinations I feel are a separate category; these are my favorites.

1. Curacao

2. Aruba

3. St. Maarten (Maho beach or airport beach is a must for any aviation enthusiast, plus the bar gives free drinks to topless women)

4. Barbados

5. St Lucia

6. St John

7. St Kitts

Edited by Gravedigger

Best European cities for partying:

Budapest

Prague

Berlin

Amsterdam

Barcelona

Dublin or Galway

Ibiza, or any other city in Spain

Sightseeing:

Sorrento/Rome (don't go in summer!)

Sicily

Berlin

Barcelona

Rhodes

London

Reykjavik

Salzburg

Romantic week with the spouse:

Corfu

Plus one on Finland. Haven't been to Finland but I've heard from sources I trust that hooking up with Americans is a like a national sport there and in Sweden. I can't confirm, I'm married.

Source: 3 years in Europe

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

I have a rule I vociferously enforce while TDY: NO......FUCKING.......CAMERAS! If you are on my crew and I see you in the bar with your goddamn camera phone out incriminating us and jeopardizing the whole operation, we WILL have words, and I will treat that phone as if you just walked into the vault with it.

• Upvote 3

I have a rule I vociferously enforce while TDY: NO......FUCKING.......CAMERAS! If you are on my crew and I see you in the bar with your goddamn camera phone out incriminating us and jeopardizing the whole operation, we WILL have words, and I will treat that phone as if you just walked into the vault with it.

I agree. But nothing says you or any of the other crew dogs need to be in the pics with the hot chicks--actually, I prefer you didn't!

Edited for alcohol.

Edited by HeloDude

Sweet, I'll definitely rush to check out some more <insert shitty military town in the south here> type places. Thanks for the assist guys...

I'm not saying Finland was like some shooting gallery. I didn't hook up with any Fins, that I remember. But every single bar I went to some Fin bought me a shot or two or three. It was a blast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8-rGAM_KeA&feature=kp

+1 on Maho beach. Love that place. I went to Stockholm last spring and it was similar to Finland although I thought the Fins were nicer to me. Budapest is one of those places where you can't look in a direction in a crowd and not instantly fall in love with at least 2 women...until they make you drink Unicum with them. Oh my god, that is an awful beverage.

• Upvote 1

Been to Prague and agree. Awesome place. I'm not single but it would be an awesome place to be single. Been to Trondheim, Norway and it is also a great place to be single. Asked this local guy that some of us worked with over there what was the best way to meet the local chicks and he said "Just say I'm American". He was right.

Prague and Budapest are hands down the best spots in Europe from my experience with Brussels close behind, both single and married.

New Zealand is the best place on the globe to visit IMO. The Kiwi's love Americans (or did when I was there, it could have changed in the past couple years due to current leadership). Even aside from any kind of party scene, NZ is just one of the coolest places I've ever gotten to go. It seems to have the best parts of every country thrown onto two islands. There's world class surfing/SCUBA, snow skiing, plains, rainforest, countryside, and on the South Island it's close enough to Antarctica that there's penguins. Definitely somewhere I want to hit up again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by hispeed7721

• 2 weeks later...

Go to Yoshi's at Kadena

Are you referring to YoshiHachi? It's ok, there are plenty better. Sushi Zen, Transit Cafe, Arin Krin (if you love garlic and wish to smell of it for the next 3 days), and Jiro Cho (if you are feeling adventurous and don't mind there are no English menus)...

Is Yoshi's the place on the seawall that caters essentially only to Americans? If so, I thought it was better than most of the places I've ever been. But I never lived in Japan, only visited Misawa a couple times, Tokyo once (screw you Rappungi...) and Kadena for 3 weeks.

For anyone visiting Spang or Ramstein, there's a Michelin 3-Star restaurant called Sonnora about 20 min from Spang. I haven't been but I'm going in about 2 weeks, everyone who's been says it's incredible.

Is Yoshi's the place on the seawall that caters essentially only to Americans? If so, I thought it was better than most of the places I've ever been. But I never lived in Japan, only visited Misawa a couple times, Tokyo once (screw you Rappungi...) and Kadena for 3 weeks.

No, that's Sushi Zen. Yoshi Hachi has pictures of Yoshi with a bunch of golfers plastered all over the walls, and it's up off 23 near Kadena Gate 5 (ish).