Shy Bladder Waiver

BTLFlyer

Hello,

Quick question. I'm a non prior officer candidate that had some trouble doing the piss test at MEPS and just recently at the latest UA. I pretty much had to wait around for three hours each time and had a very hard time with it and managed to do it last minute prior to getting sent home. I don't want this to be a regular thing in a 20 year career with the anxiety and I recently got information on AFI44-120 Attachment 13 which allows you to get a waiver with proper documentation.

My question is I saw my local physician who wrote up the paperwork and I submitted it to our base flight doctor. He seemed confused as he had never seen the waiver or form before and didn't know how it worked. Well, it states that it is only good for the current UA and one is needed for every one in the future. I got it noted in my military medical file...

I will be going to training for 2+ years at various bases throughout the country, is my medical file accessible to all the bases and will I need to apply for a waiver each time I get a random?

Will a base commander deny my request, and if so, what happens if I am unable to provide a sample? (note: I have been told I will not be denied waiver at my base)

Is there anything else I can provide or do to help this issue become not an issue in the future? I don't want to be worrying about my career due to paruresis.

Thanks for the help!!!

Also, I have tried different techniques of trying to cope with it, including pissing in front of friends, etc... it has not helped as to solve the issue.

Edited by BTLFlyer

This is so far down the list of things you have to worry about I'm not sure what to say. I can't believe they have a waiver for it...

Find your best bro and have him watch you piss until it doesn't make you nervous anymore. Then add another bro. Rinse and repeat.

Rinsing is key here. But seriously this.

You're not the only one, I sat in the HAWC for 3 hours last year too after our secretary literally have me my notice as I was walking out of the bathroom. Here's how you fix it:

If you know you're going to have to piss (day 2 at OTS), just keep a reserve in the AM and start chugging. Then, for the rest of your career, just deal with it every year or so when you get flagged. It's not a big deal, just an annoyance. You're not going to have to piss in front of a dude at every base you show up to. The AF is not like MEPs.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

• Upvote 1

Per Wikipedia...

One method of treating paruresis is by the use of breath holding combined with gradual desensitization. The subject has a trusted person stand outside the restroom at first, and once the fear is overcome the observer is brought closer in, until step by step the phobia is vanquished. The International Paruresis Association provides a detailed discussion of this method on its website. Also, many videos have been posted to YouTube by various individuals demonstrating their approaches to this method. Medication is also an option, SSRI drugs like Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, etc. can be beneficial, and benzodiazepines such as Xanax, Valium, or Klonopin can be used before the drug test or while in public to relax the muscles and bring the anxiety level down enough to where you can produce a sample.

• 2 weeks later...

Paruresis is a real thing. The attached article published in 2011 in Military Medicine says it's present in up to 30% of males and 25% of females. Most who have severe cases can be trained out of it (cognitive behavioral therapy). Drinking some extra water within reason is OK, but as detailed in the article it's possible to get into severe - even life threatening - trouble with water intoxication by drinking too much water too fast.

Military Medicine article.pdf

• 9 months later...

Quick update...

Almost a year has passed and it has gotten worst. I have had four random urinalysis tests given, and each time I am unable to go with someone watching me. Each time it has amounted to the DPRM not knowing what to do as it seems the AFI44-120 Attachment 13 is not well known as some have never seen it before. Even with supplying all the medical paperwork to support my issue, it seems to be a up hill battle with this condition. I have seeked medical help, but it seems my issue is on the severe side. I'm hoping the Air Force will find a better way to deal with this as I know I am not the only one. Each time it has taken 4+ hours to clear up and it has been embarrassing and time wasting.

If you're willing to submit to a thorough examination, couldn't you have a Doc confirm you're not up to any shenanigans and then let you piss by yourself?

Quick update...

Almost a year has passed and it has gotten worst. I have had four random urinalysis tests given, and each time I am unable to go with someone watching me. Each time it has amounted to the DPRM not knowing what to do as it seems the AFI44-120 Attachment 13 is not well known as some have never seen it before. Even with supplying all the medical paperwork to support my issue, it seems to be a up hill battle with this condition. I have seeked medical help, but it seems my issue is on the severe side. I'm hoping the Air Force will find a better way to deal with this as I know I am not the only one. Each time it has taken 4+ hours to clear up and it has been embarrassing and time wasting.

Damn Bro, four in a year? I spent 23 years in and may have had 6 total in all that time. I'm with the FAA now and damn near have to piss in a bottle to get through the gate to go to work.

I was assuming he had four in a row because he went back into the queue each time he was unable to go. That, or "the randomizer" really thinks he's on the dope.

Edited by Spoo

Ahhh...the randomizer. I recall back at Beale many years ago that our Wing King got called for three or four no-notice tests over about a three month period.. He was actively looking for that guy, and not in a happy mood while doing so! Never found the guy and was introduced to the base's mainframe computer instead.