Checkride Scoring

link

Students generally don't know jack about "good" or "bad" assignments anyway. What is a "bad" assignment out of UPT anyway? They're not dropping UAVs any more, so what is bad? The E-3 to Tinker? You mean that assignment where you go live in Oklahoma City for ~4 years with a PCS to Japan, Alaska or Germany? Ya, definitely a bad deal there! I halfway think the drop should be done via bingo machine. It would solve a LOT of issues with attitude and performance.

I never had one question an item grade, or a hooked ride for that matter.

When I went through, there was a stud in a different class who used the ability within Tims to respond to his grade sheets and why he didn't agree with certain grades. 100% true as he showed me one and asked if I thought his argument was right to dispute his most recent hook. I tried to talk him out of it, but certain people can't be helped.

Don't do that or worry about the grades. Try your hardest and help everyone as best as you can and you will have a successful time at pilot training - regardless of assignment.

When I went through, there was a stud in a different class who used the ability within Tims to respond to his grade sheets and why he didn't agree with certain grades.

What the fuck! Just the fact anyone even knew that function existed (i.e. went looking for it) blows my mind. I'm sure that guy had a well deserved, miserable time in UPT.

Thanks for the responses, was really just trying to see why there was such a disparity in drops from base to base; I guess AFPC is just being AFPC. Couldn't agree more that there isn't a bad assignment. This isn't my first and I have plenty of friends who sit at a computer for 8 hours a day that would kill to get to fly anything.

I remember a classmate who bragged to his IP in T-1s that he never got less than an E as an overall grade. Well his streak of Es ended right there!

As a T-1 IP you always knew the top couple students and the bottom couple. The middle if the pack was always pretty normal.

And if you spend a lot of time flying with the senior IPs that's a pretty good sign that you're a "special" student...

Standard rule of thumb for UPT:

Work hard, be a good bro. The rest will take care of itself. If you worry about your checkride score compared to everyone else's you're not being a good bro. Simple as that.

I f*ckin love the Guard.................... :beer:

You active duty people and your UPT ranking worries.... I went through SPS and watched my active duty brethren sodomize themselves with scrutiny between who got what on checkrides and daily rides. All joking aside between active duty and guard, if I put myself in the "other" guys shoes, I would have done the exact same thing, worry about my-######ing-self. For you UPT studs, keep your head down, mouth shut, fly your ass off and help your bros. That will pay dividends when it comes time for your drop. At the end of the day, you're wearing a green bag flying something, which is better than digging ditches

Edited by summe32c

You active duty people and your UPT ranking worries.... I went through SPS and watched my active duty brethren sodomize themselves with scrutiny between who got what on checkrides and daily rides. All joking aside between active duty and guard, if I put myself in the "other" guys shoes, I would have done the exact same thing, worry about my-######ing-self. For you UPT studs, keep your head down, mouth shut, fly your ass off and help your bros. That will pay dividends when it comes time for your drop. At the end of the day, you're wearing a green bag flying something, which is better than digging ditches

I remember this. Most of the guys who were competing for something were all within the margin of error for "Flight Commander's Ranking" or whatever it's officially called. This is where the "don't be a douchebag" technique pays off. It also pays off if you're at the bottom of your T-1 class like I was. I and one other student vied for the lowest ranking with ever escalating checkride buffoonery. I'm not sure which of us was last, but I'm sure we were the last two. I was always on time, stuck with customs and courtesies and took my extensive debriefings without quibbling. The other person ... not so much. You get one guess which one of us was smiling on assignment night.

• Upvote 1

I remember this. Most of the guys who were competing for something were all within the margin of error for "Flight Commander's Ranking" or whatever it's officially called. This is where the "don't be a douchebag" technique pays off. It also pays off if you're at the bottom of your T-1 class like I was. I and one other student vied for the lowest ranking with ever escalating checkride buffoonery. I'm not sure which of us was last, but I'm sure we were the last two. I was always on time, stuck with customs and courtesies and took my extensive debriefings without quibbling. The other person ... not so much. You get one guess which one of us was smiling on assignment night.

This.

And don't be a dick to your bros. We have guys summarize/rank the others in their class and have found some interesting results with guys who may have good hands but are noted by a majority of their classmates to not be team players. That doesn't fare well for Flt/CC ranking.

HIJACK: RANT: Whats's up with the Flt/CC low balling guard dudes on Flt/CC ranking. Pure ass douchebaggery when he OR her actually believes it doesnt matter. Well motherf^cker.... it does. If it doesnt matter to our assignment, whats wrong with giving an honest Flt/CC ranking? Its not like if a guard bubba was #2 overall he would screw #3 out of his assignment. I never got why they sometimes did that. Albiet its not ALL Flt/CC's.... just some.

Edited for the grammar Nazi :thefinger:

Edited by summe32c
  • Downvote 3

HIJACK: RANT: Whats's up with the Flt/CC low balling guard dudes on Flt/CC ranking. Pure ass deaushbaggery when he OR her actually believes it doesnt matter. Well motherf^cker.... it does. If it doesnt matter to our assignment, whats wrong with giving an honest Flt/CC ranking? Its not like if a guard bubba was #2 overall he would screw #3 out of his assignment. I never got why they sometimes did that. Albiet its not ALL Flt/CC's.... just some. :thefinger:

I've seen this too and confirmed with bros in other classes who are guard as well that the same exact trends occurred in their UPT classes. Seems to be too much of a trend amongst multiple classes to be coincidence.

It even finds it's way into daily things like the scheduling board, IP continuity,flying continuity, etc. which are critical in the initial portion of training.

Not saying they are out to get anybody but, when something has to give, it usually works out that way and I can understand the logic.

HIJACK: RANT: Whats's up with the Flt/CC low balling guard dudes on Flt/CC ranking. Pure ass deaushbaggery when he OR her actually believes it doesnt matter. Well motherf^cker.... it does. If it doesnt matter to our assignment, whats wrong with giving an honest Flt/CC ranking? Its not like if a guard bubba was #2 overall he would screw #3 out of his assignment. I never got why they sometimes did that. Albiet its not ALL Flt/CC's.... just some. :thefinger:

It may have something to do with the fact that you can't correctly spell "douchebag", douchebag. You answered your own question. It doesn't matter to your assignment, but it absolutely matters to your bro's assignment. Any scheduler or training chief that uses your Flt/CC rank (assuming they even know what it is) to hose you is also a douchebag who has forgotten the very system they were brought up in.

Besides, the instances where I've seen this happen, the guard dude usually only moves if he's on the bubble (and then by no more than 1 spot). Otherwise it's a moot point. Now ALPsters, on the other hand...

Edited by 10percenttruth

You don't or shouldn't know your flight commander ranking. I'm guessing it's pure speciation on everyone's part.

After UPT is over you get a disc with everything in it, including the MASS breakout. You can see your flight commander ranking there. No idea if they still do this though, I was 09-15.

HIJACK: RANT: Whats's up with the Flt/CC low balling guard dudes on Flt/CC ranking. Pure ass douchebaggery when he OR her actually believes it doesnt matter. Well motherf^cker.... it does. If it doesnt matter to our assignment, whats wrong with giving an honest Flt/CC ranking? Its not like if a guard bubba was #2 overall he would screw #3 out of his assignment. I never got why they sometimes did that. Albiet its not ALL Flt/CC's.... just some.

I don't lowball my guard guys, and none of my fellow Flt/CCs do either. In fact, AD/ANG/AFRES has no bearing in flt/cc ranking at all. The entire class is stratified, and IP ranking only accounts for 1/3 of total Flt/CC ranking anyway (the other two thirds being USEM averages and peer rankings). Yes, that's right-- your peer ranking counts as much as the IP ranking. Chances are if you had the attitude at UPT that you exhibited in that post, you got tanked because you were a d-bag, not because there was some conspiracy to give an undeserved advantage to some AD dude.

Who gives a ?! As a reserve guy, I thought it was my job to low ball myself on peer reviews and that sort of shit(I always put myself last). By far the biggest tool in my class was a reserve guy that was obsessed with his class ranking(asking people where he was on peer reviews and what they scored on checkrides). That guy was a ing douche and no one could stand him.

Edited by Gus Chiggins
  • Upvote 1