Iraq in state of emergency - Mosul overrun by militants; government flees;

Vice

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-27785769

Iraq's prime minister has asked parliament to declare a state of emergency after Islamist militants effectively took control of Mosul and much of its province of Nineveh.

Nouri Maliki said "vital areas" of the city had been seized; some 150,000 people are believed to have fled.

Troops fled Mosul as hundreds of jihadists from the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIS) overran it.

The US has said ISIS threatens not just Iraq, but the entire region.

John Simpson reports.

Saw that this morning, was wondering when it would hit the major news networks. I also wonder when the Kurds will say enough is enough, that's pretty close to their home turf.

As in the Kurds claiming independence from the rest of Iraq?

Has all of Mosul been overrun/captured by the Sunni Insurgents? I don't/can't believe that has happened.

I could see the insurgents taking the western side of Mosul (on the west side of the Tigris river) without to much

trouble. The east side of Mosul (on the east side of the Tigris river) was heavily dominated by the Kurds and they would definitely put up a serious fight before losing ground. I would bet that most of the Iraqi Government Military Forces

that got routed/folded were in western Mosul. Also, I would not be surprised if these forces simply bugged out to

eastern Mosul or other Kurdish controlled areas to the east/northeast by crossing the bridges over the Tigris River to

seek Kurdish protection.

Has all of Mosul been overrun/captured by the Sunni Insurgents? I don't/can't believe that has happened.

I could see the insurgents taking the western side of Mosul (on the west side of the Tigris river) without to much

trouble. The east side of Mosul (on the east side of the Tigris river) was heavily dominated by the Kurds and they would definitely put up a serious fight before losing ground. I would bet that most of the Iraqi Government Military Forces

that got routed/folded were in western Mosul. Also, I would not be surprised if these forces simply bugged out to

eastern Mosul or other Kurdish controlled areas to the east/northeast by crossing the bridges over the Tigris River to

seek Kurdish protection.

That logic is not nearly sensational enough.

• Upvote 1

I would be more than happy to follow the ENTIRE graduating class of Haaa vad and Yale into the fray. With some Rummies and Cheney's and Bushettes leading the way of course.

......Oh, and some Saudi Royals, Qatari billionaires and a dozen "New York Super Bankers"....(they could bring their staffs)

I would be more than happy to follow the ENTIRE graduating class of Haaa vad and Yale into the fray. With some Rummies and Cheney's and Bushettes leading the way of course.

......Oh, and some Saudi Royals, Qatari billionaires and a dozen "New York Super Bankers"....(they could bring their staffs)

say what now?

Sweet American-made Humvees being liberated for the jihadists' war in Syria; saw a report that said Iraqi F-16s had been seized as well, but I didn't think any of them had been delivered yet, plus why would they base them in Mosul? Anyway doubt they'd be much more use for ISIS than for spare parts money on the black market.

Anyone else sick of our bullshit Global War of Terror Wars? Anyone else tired of teaching our TTPs to our future enemies? Anyone else here sick of seeing friends killed in defense of absolutely nothing? Anyone else believe that Iraq would be better off today, and with a million more citizens (casualties of our war efforts), if still under Saddam?

Good read, Fall of Iraq to ISIS: http://www.scribd.com/doc/229215466/ISIS-Next-Steps

Map of ISIS control in Iraq and Syria: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/06/11/world/middleeast/100000002932868.mobile.html?_r=1

Iraqi terror group seizes half billion dollars, becoming richest terror group in the world: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/mosul-seized-jihadis-loot-429m-citys-central-bank-make-isis-worlds-richest-terror-force-1452190

Iraq lets Nobel Peace Prize winner Obama know that it could use some USA help killing the same al Queda terrorists we trained in Syria (Kinzinger, you wanted us to train terrorists in Syria, right?): http://online.wsj.com/articles/iraq-signals-openness-to-u-s-airstrikes-against-al-qaeda-u-s-officials-say-1402526823?tesla=y

Hopefully more people will start to realize just how ridiculous US foreign and domestic policy has become. I'm just at a loss for words on this one.

That logic is not nearly sensational enough.

I found this BBC article and if true it sounds like only the western portion/half of Mosul fell to the Sunni Insurgents

and the Kurds do control eastern Mosul. It seems like the press may not be giving folks a complete/accurate picture of

unfolding events, no surprise.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-27789770

Some excerpts from the article.

In Mosul, the militant group experienced far greater success, winning all-important psychological dominance over the

security forces in three days of progressively heavy fighting in western Mosul.

Peshmerga forces have recently moved forwards along the line of disputed territories claimed by both the federal

government and the KRG, including securing the areas of Mosul city east of the Tigris River.

Gaining the KRG's active support to take part in the clearance of western Mosul may only be possible if Baghdad is

willing to make concessions to the Kurds on issues such as the international marketing of KRG oil and revenue-sharing

between Baghdad and Iraqi Kurdistan.

Ongoing discord between the Maliki government and its Kurdish and Arab opponents could disrupt the government's

counter-offensive, allowing ISIS to consolidate its hold on western Mosul.

In fact, a consolidated ISIS caliphate in western Mosul - with a population of over a million people - would be a far

greater success than anything the movement has achieved in Syria and would send shock waves throughout the region.

Someone just got punk'd bad in Iraq. A 10+ year practical joke. haha. The Iraqi people and country were probably the biggest losers, followed by US military personnel and taxpayers.

The biggest winners: contractors, politicians who somehow managed to parlay war sentiment into votes and power at the expense of citizens' freedoms, and regional allies who have benefitted from the huge US military presence in their backyard.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/29/richard-clarke-george-bush-war-crimes_n_5410619.html

BTW, we're doing the same shit in Africa and have been for a long time. Anyone want to take a bet on whether or not we end up fighting these people we're training?: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/27/world/africa/us-trains-african-commandos-to-fight-terrorism.html

The military industrial complex has become a runaway juggernut. PM me if you're interested in taking a look at any of the geopolitical readings that I subscribe to.

Guest LumberjackAxe

The military industrial complex has become a runaway juggernut. PM me if you're interested in taking a look at any of the geopolitical readings that I subscribe to.

They must be pretty radical if you're afraid of posting them anonymously on a public forum.

Anyone else sick of our bullshit Global War of Terror Wars?

Speak for yourself. While I've also been frustrated with the execution of the wars, I still view killing jihadis before they behead civilians as a valid use of my time and worthy of my best effort.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1