Is it worth getting a type rating for getting hired by the airlines?

Can anyone say with any authority how much having a type rating helps when interviewing for an airline? Before I drop 6-9 thousand on a B737 or A320 when there is a good chance I may not be assigned to said type, does it really add that much to my military background in Strike Eagles?

There is quite a bit of discussion on this very topic over at www.airlinepilotforums.com

Granted, nobody who is saying anything is from the HR department over there-- but, most folks claim that if you "really" want SWA, then go get the 737 ticket. Others claim that this will highlight you as wanting SWA so other airlines will steer clear of you - or that it could be brought up in interview discussion.

Personally, if the opportunity presented itself, I wouldn't do it. With over 5000 hours, and a civilian schoolhouse under my belt, I don't see the need. YMMV. if you have never been civilian trained, it might help you out, and if the question ever presented itself about getting a type rating, simply claim it was for professional education, you want to make yourself marketable, wanted to take a civilian led course, etc....

Short answer: no. Your training and experience points to your ability to successfully complete any training program you start.

Longer answer: maybe. The name of the game (stop me if you've heard this one) is seniority and if Southwest is what you're looking for (honestly don't know who is requiring Bus types to attend training) than do everything you can to make you hire date as soon as possible. If that means diverting some real cash and a few days of your time in a simulator then only you can really answer your question.

Not a definitive answer I know, but obviously nothing in this industry is.

GW

Edit: to c-21's point a good buddy in my new hire class went a got his 737 type and hewas hired into the airbus. So my advice: don't overthink it

Edited by GW

*Not any authority

I wouldn't waste your money. Maybe, if SWA was the only place you wanted to go...maybe. I just can't see spending the $$$ on the hopes of a job. But then again, I really have no desire to go to SWA. I sure as heck wouldn't get a A320 type. I can't imagine a type with zero time would get you much.

A guy in our interview group had a 737 type and it was never mentioned (he was hired). Even if it was asked you can easily explain that away as no matter what, you want to be an airline pilot and you're just making yourself as marketable as possible.

If you're at the end of a flying career in the military, or even your initial UPT commitment, I'm sure you have all the quals needed for the majors. Fighter guys with 2-2500TT, 15-1700 fighter, IP/EP, etc...are getting snagged up pretty fast right now.

If SWA was my clear #1 choice, or the only airline I wanted to fly for, then I would pay for the 737 type rating. Also, if I was certain that I would never use the Post 9/11 GI Bill, and would never have anyone I could pass those benefits on to, then I would get the type, since the training would essentially be free.

Personally, I chose not to get the type, because SWA is about #4 on my list of airlines I'd like to work for (but of course I would accept a job if they offered). I spent just over $3k and 4 days getting my ATP, and I know many people who have done it for much less money and time.

If you want a career in civil aviation, flight training is an investment. For most people forking over $9k is a large investment, but it's certainly not a bad one.

I'll throw out my position. . I was pulled out of the MAF for an RPA billet. Been flying my Bonanza since I left, but haven't been in a heavy in a while. I still need to do my ATP and thought the type rating would be good sim prep. So that's my plan. .

FWIW, SWA is like #3 or 4 of my "Top 10 List".

Food for thought, I know several military types who got called recently for Southwest interviews without the type. #4 on my list as well. Having a 737 type with zero hours in type sends a clear message to non-SW companies. Why jeopardize your shot with #1, #2, and #3 for a better shot at an interview with #4? With that said, if SW calls me for an interview and offers me a job, I would then sign up for the type and knock it out, but not until then.

Having a 737 type with zero hours in type sends a clear message to non-SW companies.

This is an aviation "urban legend".

Pilots have speculated about this for a long time. But the proof is in the results. We all know plenty that have been hired at companies other than SWA while in possession of a 73 type.

The Legacies simply do not care.

• Upvote 3

Pilots have speculated about this for a long time. But the proof is in the results. We all know plenty that have been hired at companies other than SWA while in possession of a 73 type.

2!

Qualifications and experience. A 737 type rating is just another qualification and indication of more experience but, other than that, no airline is looking at it any deeper. And everyone expects you to shotgun apps out there, also.

It's not urban legend. Guys in the mid-2000s who had 737 types were routinely asked about why they had them in interviews with other companies. And not in a "tell me about all of this great experience and training you got with your 737 type rating" kind of way. SWA was growing fast and the "place to be" at the time. As a result, other carriers were losing tons of guys to SWA soon after they hired them (guys took other jobs waiting for SWA to call), so yes the type was a bit of a warning flag to other companies. At the time, the Higher Power type rating course was about $7-8k while a min run ATP was about $2-3k. Post 9-11 GI Bill was not yet in existence, so it wasn't something done on a whim. There's no real way to know the specific impacts on granting interviews or hiring decisions because companies would never admit it publicly. But anecdotally, guys at the time who had the type had a more difficult time getting called by the other companies hiring.

The hiring market is drastically different today though. Just the fact that SWA is hiring guys without them is telling. 8 years ago when industry hiring was slim, it was almost impossible to get an interview there without it, even though they didn't technically "require" it until before training. Now, as the other carriers have gotten better contracts, are doing well financially, and have lots of retirements in the nearer-term (i.e. Much quicker predicted seniority rise vs SWA), other companies are not worried today about losing guys to SWA since the upside is arguably much better elsewhere.

Edited by Danny Noonin

Not true, Danny. I was hired at a legacy with the type rating and zero hours in the 737. They didn't even ask me about it. They aren't that parochial.

To the OP; Don't worry about getting it. You're qualified. Can you imagine a recruiter having the following mental dialogue?

"Let's see, this one is a fighter pilot, so he graduated at the top of his UPT class. He's upgraded to flight lead and IP, so he's probably got his crap together. Hmmm, I think we'll pass on this dude since...wait a sec! He's got a type rating proving he can fly somebody's simulator and pass a pretty tame checkride! We'd better get this guy right in here."

You're a known quantity. Spend your money on interview prep. MUCH better investment.

Good luck!

Listen to Huggy

• Upvote 1

Not true, Danny. I was hired at a legacy with the type rating and zero hours in the 737. They didn't even ask me about it. They aren't that parochial.

Well shit, I must have made it up.

I was hired at a legacy too. I didn't have a type so not a factor for me personally, but dudes in my interview group did and they were asked about it. Fact, not urban legend. Many dudes I know who interviewed at other airlines were asked as well. Also fact.

But that was then, this is now. I haven't heard of anything like that recently and for the reasons I listed before I think other carriers' concerns about SWA are no longer a factor.

If you are a single seat dude with no crew experience and have the money, I'd recommend it. Even though an airline training program will be easier than IFF, the B-Course, FLUG, and IPUG, for me, it was nice having an idea about 121 ops (flows, call outs, profiles, etc) before I had to do it for real. The best thing was it allowed me to test whether or not I wanted to fly airliners for the next 35 years. I did Higher Power back in 2012 and I have zero regrets about it. I was asked about it in my US Airways interview by the way. My answer - I wanted to experience a 121-type program since I had no crew experience. Every case and person is different.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I have a 737 type. Interviewed with multiple airlines...hired by one of them to fly something other than a 737. I've never been asked about my 737 type in any interview.

Once again, listen to Huggy.