So You're Getting Out...Why?

nsplayr

I want out because in the big scheme, all we are is a fucking number. That's it. They don't care about us, who we are, or what we want. At the end of the day, we're just some generic number used to fill whatever requirement they need filled at the time be it a 6-monther, 365er or some random PCS. If you do manage to stick it out and retire, what do you get? Probably a divorce, a nice shadow box, and a "thank you very much" while some other number fills the void you just left.

How does a squadron commander (of a maintenance squadron, no less, with probably hundreds of guys to look after) have time to write this trite garbage? And who is he writing it for? Does he really think the few knuckleheads who have always been out of regs will read this and suddenly see the error of their ways?

I want out because in the big scheme, all we are is a ######ing number. That's it. They don't care about us, who we are, or what we want. At the end of the day, we're just some generic number used to fill whatever requirement they need filled at the time be it a 6-monther, 365er or some random PCS. If you do manage to stick it out and retire, what do you get? Probably a divorce, a nice shadow box, and a "thank you very much" while some other number fills the void you just left.

To be fair, I think the jobs (military and civilian) which DONT do this are few and far between

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does a squadron commander (of a maintenance squadron, no less, with probably hundreds of guys to look after) have time to write this trite garbage? And who is he writing it for? Does he really think the few knuckleheads who have always been out of regs will read this and suddenly see the error of their ways?

Furthermore, if you're going to take the time to publish your opinion in a formal/semi-formal manner, at least take the time to proofread it or have someone else proofread it for you. If you suck at writing, get someone to help you. Seriously, if I can't trust you to write grammatically correct sentences, how can I trust you to wear the uniform properly? Something about attention to detail, I dunno.

I want out because in the big scheme, all we are is a fucking number. That's it. They don't care about us, who we are, or what we want. At the end of the day, we're just some generic number used to fill whatever requirement they need filled at the time be it a 6-monther, 365er or some random PCS. If you do manage to stick it out and retire, what do you get? Probably a divorce, a nice shadow box, and a "thank you very much" while some other number fills the void you just left.

Your civilian employer will care about you less than your AF commanders have. You are nothing more than a revenue generator.

• Upvote 2

Your civilian employer will care about you less than your AF commanders have. You are nothing more than a revenue generator.

Isn't that the point?

But some civilian bosses do care about you...because if you are a good value in generating revenue, then those bosses don't want to lose you, and thus will at least care enough/do things for you outside of your paycheck to stay with the business. All situational dependent.

.....anyone else think it's time to change the title of the thread to: "So You're Staying In....Why?"

I'll bite. I love my job. It's one of the small corners of the Air Force that still values airmanship, camaraderie, and selflessness. I enjoy serving my Country. Strapping into a jet at 0600 for a pattern-only sortie is worth dealing with the queep.

That said, had I been stuck in my previous assignment any longer (ACC multi-engine Tactical ISR prop), I would have applied for VSP or separated at the end of my commitment.

.....anyone else think it's time to change the title of the thread to: "So You're Staying In....Why?"

Because I truly care about the PR mission and I think I can still make an impact. I know there are plenty of Hawg guys that feel the same way; this last weptac was an epic argument that proves people's passion.

• Upvote 1

I'll bite. I love my job. It's one of the small corners of the Air Force that still values airmanship, camaraderie, and selflessness. I enjoy serving my Country. Strapping into a jet at 0600 for a pattern-only sortie is worth dealing with the queep.

That said, had I been stuck in my previous assignment any longer (ACC multi-engine Tactical ISR prop), I would have applied for VSP or separated at the end of my commitment.

Alright dude, let's call a spade a spade. It's hypocritical to state "I love serving my country" followed by "... In my previous assignment ... I would have separated." Truth be told, your enjoyment of serving your country only occurs when you enjoy what you are doing. Not that there is anything wrong with that; I'd argue that most if not all of us are the same way. But don't use the "I bleed red, white, and blue" rationale when there are clearly strings attached.

I've also noticed that assignments usually get less fun with age. How long have you been a part of this new job you love?

-9-

• Upvote 2

Well, gee....You think your present sense of a good deal might just not be permanent? You shot your own argument ^^^

Alright dude, let's call a spade a spade. It's hypocritical to state "I love serving my country" followed by "... In my previous assignment ... I would have separated." Truth be told, your enjoyment of serving your country only occurs when you enjoy what you are doing. Not that there is anything wrong with that; I'd argue that most if not all of us are the same way. But don't use the "I bleed red, white, and blue" rationale when there are clearly strings attached.

I've also noticed that assignments usually get less fun with age. How long have you been a part of this new job you love?

-9-

You beat me to the post. Exactly my sentiments. I'd love what I was doing too if I got to do what I wanted. Alas, there are such things as getting buffed/tami'd/alo'd. I'm not gonna be a hypocrite and go all kool-aid and say I love my fighter and everybody oughtta love their lot in life too because I got to fly my dream airplane, today.

Life is indeed a moving target. And that's alright. That's the real value of the civilian job. The option to quit when it no longer makes sense in otherwise the same sea of managerial apathy and disregard for your contributions, as an individual with an above average measure of work ethic.

• Upvote 2

Life is indeed a moving target. And that's alright. That's the real value of the civilian job. The option to quit when it no longer makes sense in otherwise the same sea of managerial apathy and disregard for your contributions, as an individual with an above average measure of work ethic.

Shack.

The grass isn't greener on the other (civilian) side, but there are indeed multiple different lawns you can try. The grass I've experienced on AD has only been one color and despite the fact that I actually like my job a lot, the color of that grass wasn't doing it for me anymore.

BL: I'm getting out because then I have options, I'm in the driver's seat, and I can decide what's best for my family. There will indeed be sacrifices and not all options are better options than what I'm doing now, but the choices will be mine and ours.

In response to Nineline and hindsight2020...

Probably longer than your "old" job you appear to hate. Most everybody enjoys being in the land of misfit aviators for an extended period of time. Plus, the recent FM shenanigans have left lots of room for growth in the program for the younger guys.

Good enough reason to stay in as any...

Edited by Shaft34

Well, gee....You think your present sense of a good deal might just not be permanent? You shot your own argument ^^^

You beat me to the post. Exactly my sentiments. I'd love what I was doing too if I got to do what I wanted. Alas, there are such things as getting buffed/tami'd/alo'd. I'm not gonna be a hypocrite and go all kool-aid and say I love my fighter and everybody oughtta love their lot in life too because I got to fly my dream airplane, today.

-9-

The two are not mutually exclusive. I'm proud and honored to serve regardless of the job I'm in. Even on the worst days, I'm proud to wear the uniform. I expect our RPA brethren probably don't love life, but are still proud to serve. Have I enjoyed non-flying assignments (CAOC)? No, but I performed to the best of my ability regardless.

When your commitment is up, your quality of life is a huge factor on whether to stay or go. Attack me all you want, but like I said, had I still been stuck in my previous assignment, I would have departed-- like the 75-100 VSP applicants from said airframe. Is it hypocritical to love serving but consider separation/VSP when you're trapped in an airframe with a PCS freeze and funding only through 30 Sep 14? I'd argue that's common ing sense.

So back to why I'm staying in-- I enjoy serving in the active duty capacity for now and for me, the mission outweighs the queep.

BL: I'm getting out because then I have options, I'm in the driver's seat, and I can decide what's best for my family. There will indeed be sacrifices and not all options are better options than what I'm doing now, but the choices will be mine and ours.

tumblr_n41hb7wev71smy9ueo1_500.gif

• Upvote 3