So You're Getting Out...Why?

nsplayr

A little harsh for a dude that is excited about the possibility isn't it? I'm all about getting his eyes wide open, but crushing a dude's spirit because we are old, crusty, cynical bastards that are pissed at the AF isn't the right way to do it.

• Upvote 2

Dogshaming.com...what a great website concept.

CCshaming.com - someone suggest it to SECAF.

I'm with LJ. I hate the AF, but I love my job (the tactical part at least). It's alarming the amount of piss poor managers we have and all the bullshit big blue happily shovels on us. I can't wait for the day to be freed from all this, live where I want, etc. My family can't wait either. That said, I would never tell a dude to not go for it and crush his dreams about how shitty this place is and it's not even worth a second glance. The truth is most, if not all of us, have had the opportunity to do some awesome things; things that are unmatched by 98% of people in this world. It may be about that time for many of us to GTFO this burning shitpie of a ship, but that doesn't mean new guys yet to even open a Dash 1 can't have their own awesome experiences, despite the mega shitton of worthless assholes that run amok in this organization. They will most likely also be ready to put a shotgun in their mouth after 6-9 years and will be pumped for the chance to VSP out of the 2025 version of the AF, but that's fine. They'll have some great times, do some good shit and in the grand scheme of things probably have a way better decade than compared to working at IBM 9-5.

The AF is a disaster and terribly mismanaged, but the flying is fun as hell and worth it, at least for a bit. When you try to tell me the flying sucks and was NEVER worth at least the 6-9 years you did it, really think about it; I bet you come up with at least some good times and at the very minimum, a solid aviation foundation from which to jump into the civilian world. And honestly tell us you seriously regret setting foot in a military aircraft and wished you'd never walked on a flightline and instead had been sitting at a desk all these years, punching yourself in the sack. I know what I'd rather do.

• Upvote 16

Being an active duty Air Force pilot was the best time I never, ever want to have again.

Only Big Blue could make a dream job suck. The problem is that this CAN be fixed. SQ "managers" need to become leaders and need to grab their sack and rid their units of unnecessary processes and/or jobs. USE your people to help in this reduction. I am sure that this reduction would be viewed favorably within the unit with the exception of a few glass-licking shoes who live and breathe meaningless crap. In my previous job, I got an email of a list of all the additional duties in the unit. Of a 100-person squadron, there were 330 additional duties... This alone says enough. Do we really need 8 SharePoint content managers, 10 SAPR reps, 5 unit vehicle monitors, 10 booster club reps, 20 unit training managers, etc., etc., etc. This list can go on and on and most units are like this. I see every day the sheer amount of time that is wasted on unnecessary work that is more often than not emphasized more than primary duties.

Furthermore, regulation...too much of it. It's to the point where we add more regs than what we take away and it continues to get exponentially worse. Even the folks that are supposedly the experts at their jobs do not know EVERY SINGLE REGULATION in their job. So therefore, we as a force are breaking regs every day.

There is a reason why my CC told me he is frustrated that the people he thought would be getting out aren't.

THIS is why I am separating from the Air Force. Corporate and civilian America has queep BS, sure, but they also understand efficiency and work productivity. Oh yeah, no more worthless SAPR stand down days that do nothing more than make us want to ram our head through a wall as well. Talk about resiliency.

Edited by Cornholio5
  • Upvote 1

It's a self-licking ice cream cone too. Part of the problem is many of the bad managers don't know they're bad managers. I'd wager very few guys (even shoes) wake up in the morning & think "I'm going to be a shitpump today at work!" They're taking the taskers their bosses give them, and carrying them out like they've seen their bosses in the past do. We only know what we've been taught & have been exposed to, so the odds of a endless cycle of bullshit grow exponentially with every generation... Like the plague.

• Upvote 1

It's a self-licking ice cream cone too. Part of the problem is many of the bad managers don't know they're bad managers. I'd wager very few guys (even shoes) wake up in the morning & think "I'm going to be a shitpump today at work!" They're taking the taskers their bosses give them, and carrying them out like they've seen their bosses in the past do. We only know what we've been taught & have been exposed to, so the odds of a endless cycle of bullshit grow exponentially with every generation... Like the plague.

There's a quote from the SOS in correspondence reading that has always stuck out in my mind. It said, "Accountability is knowing who to blame."

It's this kind of BS that keeps the ship moving in the wrong direction.

There's a quote from the SOS in correspondence reading that has always stuck out in my mind. It said, "Accountability is knowing who to blame."

It's this kind of BS that keeps the ship moving in the wrong direction.

This is the one and only thing I remember from SOS. I had to read it again a few times to make sure it actually said that. I was just absolutely flabbergasted and disgusted at that statement.

I knocked SOS out with a few other guys from my squadron while deployed to the garden spot of Southwest Asia. A few days after reading that, a crew got Q3'd for aborting under completely legit circumstances prior to S1.

This is the culture we are creating for ourselves.

I read for ALS until I got to the following sentence somewhere in the first chapter: "The AF has a small and elite enlisted force. Most members of the AF are pilots." I decided that continuing to read would make me dumber.

I read for ALS until I got to the following sentence somewhere in the first chapter: "The AF has a small and elite enlisted force. Most members of the AF are pilots." I decided that continuing to read would make me dumber.

Even if you stretch 4.5% of pilots by the 10% rule, it's still only 45% pilots.
  • Upvote 1

Wouldn't it be 4.95% pilots?

No, he's right. You have to work the problem backwards. So if the claim was 45% of the Air Force are pilots, but only 4.5% are actually pilots, the claim would still be valid per the 10% rule. Only 10% of the claim has to be true for the statement to be accepted. However, it's supposed to be more of a WAG and less of a math problem. I don't do math at the bar.