FY 15 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

Received VSP payment this morning with taxes taken out. Also got two military IDs for TAMP (tan) and for three years of base privileges (green). Don't forget to change your address in DEERs for TAMP and then call Tricare to register for prime in your region for six months of health coverage. My family and I might use the continued benefits plan under Tricare unless better health insurance is out there. Good luck to all.

Edited by Fud

I know what secretary James said but what do you all think the likelihood of having another VSP this year?

[sarcasm]Based on recent news reports, I would rank another TAMI21 as being more likely than another VSP for 2015.[/sarcasm]

Edited to add proper notation.

Edited by HU&W

EOM pay came a couple days ago and VSP pay came today. Curious to see if the VSP payment will be on the 2014 or 2015 W2.

Just got off the phone with the Total Force Service Center, and then the DFAS call center. DFAS told me that it will be on the 2015 W-2. This jives with my research into the IRS W-2 guidelines. I tried to call the IRS, but their menu options did not allow me to talk to a representative. However, it should be on 2015's W-2.

At the end of FY15, the USAF is forecasted to be at just over 312k. At the Corona in October, the 4-stars decided their goal of 308.8k was untenable primarily due to the shortage of maintenance personnel. Their new "redline" for manning is 315k. By the end of FY16, they are funding 317k uniformed Airmen billets. For these reasons, any personnel reductions (voluntary or involuntary) beyond the normal retirements, discharges and quality force review boards are extremely unlikely. There is absolutely zero talk about another TAMI-21 or stop loss.

• 4 weeks later...

http://comptroller.defense.gov/Portals/45/documents/defbudget/fy2016/fy2016_Budget_Request_Overview_Book.pdf
Overview – FY 2016 Defense Budget Request

The active component of the Army will reduce its planned post-war end strength from the 490,000 soldiers proposed in the budget for FY 2015 to 450,000 personnel by the end of FY 2018. The Army National Guard will reduce its planned force structure from 350,200 in FY 2015 to 335,000 soldiers by the end of FY 2017. [...] reducing [the Marine Corps] from 184,100 end strength in FY 2015 to a planned end strength of 182,000 active Marines by the end of FY 2017.
Estimated manpower changes through FY 2017/18 are -8% for Army AD, -4% for Army NG, and -1% for Marine Corps AD. However, they cannot drawdown immediately (like the AF did) as there is a second OCO budget that temporarily funds most of these slots. Meaning their forces will have a slow shrink (which will likely have an adverse effect on morale, something the Air Force partially avoided). Separately, AF AD End Strength is actually going up from 315,300 to 317,00 (+0.5%). Also, the AF will begin re-balancing to a 55% AD and 45% RC (Guard and Reserve) manpower model (commonly known as 55/45) sometime in FY17--they don't give many specifics or numbers for FY16.

Air Force Reserve asking increases manpower authorizations

What is the balance at currently? In other words, are we all getting palace chased?

We are currently about 313K AD and 172K RC (105K ANG and 67K Res). That's around 64/36 right now. That's a 9% disparity, or about 46K on each side, to reach 55/45. If we get a BRAC approved in FY2017 or so, that'll be easy to reach by about 2024.

Edited by deaddebate