Mass urinalysis at Dover AFB

HeyEng

Did anybody hear about the mass piss test they did at Dover to include transit aircrews coming from overseas? Full disclosure this was beer talk at Ramstein with other aircrews so it might have been exaggerated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

They did one of these whole I was at LR. Cordoned off all roads from the front gate to the OSS, collected all cell phones, and made everyone stay until they pissed. Great way to start a checkride day.

Even better.... I was at LRAFB when they did exactly what you described except on a Sat night.

Ahh, fun times.

Had one where they recalled the whole squadron on a Saturday, and then loaded us on busses to go over to the auditorium. OSI was out there loaded for bear, with their vests and goofy utility belts, looking like they were about to go on a SWAT raid. Had the K-9's out and everything.

Sat everyone down in the auditorium, and then did some theater where a very short OSI dude hopped up on stage and started asking if anyone knew someone doing drugs. A couple young enlisted folks raised their hands, and they were led to the back of the room. Heard rumors later that some of the folks who raised their hands were "plants," that had been asked previously to step up. Guess the thinking was that no one would want to be first, but once some kid saw someone else raise their hand, then that would embolden others to do it. Don't know if that bit of kabuki theater actually ended up in anyone being caught or not, but I doubt it. Don't remember anyone disappearing from the squadron afterwards.

Spent the rest of the morning sitting around the auditorium sipping on bottled water, BS-ing, and awaiting my time to piss in the cup. They didn't even have the decency to serve us breakfast afterwards.

Why would they take your cell phone and why is that legal?

Stract has it right and yes it is 100 pct legal.

Edit to add: In unit sweeps, it is possible that you will also be given a gag order since testing can remain open for several weeks so those that are TDY or on leave will be tested upon return. A text message, email or social media post would undermine the testing by alerting drug users to the urinalysis.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

Edited by Herk Driver

The shear logistics and cost to perform a mass urinalysis just to catch less than .1% defies any cost benefit analysis. Big Blue is really desperate to get rid of people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Had one where they recalled the whole squadron on a Saturday...

Reason #69,000 you don't answer a phone call from work on the weekend....let that shit go to voice mail.

Stract has it right and yes it is 100 pct legal.

I'd actually like to see where it's legal to take my cell phones away. Not doubting you, just wonder where something like that would live.

What a bush league....

I wonder how this all works with technicians?

Edited by SocialD

Sounds like the time I commercialed into GFAFB to pick up a jet. Got there late at night after a long day with a couple of connections. They were testing everyone at the gate. When asked what unit I belonged to, I was met with blank stares when I stated I was TDY. The confusion probably added about 30 minutes to the 1 hour wait for my turn to piss. Got more blank stares when I informed them that I was supposed to enter crew rest 10 minutes into the wait and that the delay would lead to mission impact the next day. Didn't change my position in the line.

I'd actually like to see where it's legal to take my cell phones away. Not doubting you, just wonder where something like that would live.

First, I will state that I am not a lawyer, so I would suggest consulting with a JAG and/or an ADC.

Unit sweeps are justified as an "inspection" that is ordered and collected under Military Rule of Evidence 313(b).

--- The primary purpose of an inspection is to determine and ensure the security, military fitness, or good order and discipline of the unit. This may include an
inspection to determine whether the command is functioning properly, if proper standards of readiness are maintained, and if personnel are present, fit and ready
for duty. An entire unit or a part of the unit may be inspected, or you may participate in a base-wide random selection process. This is also known as a unit sweep. (quoted from Military Commander and the Law)
In practice a unit sweep may last for several weeks as a commander attempts to get "max participation" since some unit members may be on leave or TDY, etc. Additionally, a "gag order" may be issued to prevent (or at least make it illegal) you from talking to others about it. This helps to keep those that are/may be using drugs from finding out about the testing and take steps to avoid providing a urine sample. The temporary collection of cell phones is a measure to prevent individuals from circumventing the chain of command. IIRC, it is justified as a measure to prevent undermining good order and discipline.
Again, I would recommend talking to a JAG and they can give you the legal basis.

Boner pills?

Unlikely. My guess is something to treat an STD. There is gouge floating around that your commander will be informed if the doc finds out you have an STD. I know this is true for HIV, not sure about less serious STDs. If a guy is married and caught something, you could see why he wouldn't want to take a chance, especially if his chain of command doesn't like him.

Unlikely. My guess is something to treat an STD. There is gouge floating around that your commander will be informed if the doc finds out you have an STD. I know this is true for HIV, not sure about less serious STDs. If a guy is married and caught something, you could see why he wouldn't want to take a chance, especially if his chain of command doesn't like him.

Do the random drug tests check for antibiotics? I figure it's a sleep aid/pain pill/ADD med.

Edited by LookieRookie

I remember back in 05 my unit at Dyess all got rounded up. They had mid shift stay late for a CC call and did a recall for swings. Had all 250 or so of us tested. They busted about 9 or 10 people. Same thing no calls no leaving til you piss. They even had about 20 NCOs from EMS to monitor testing. Pretty good justification IMO.

I know this is true for HIV, not sure about less serious STDs.

For HIV, there is no way around this--your Commander and many people in the Medical Group will know about this. Your command shouldn't allow it to affect your career beyond normal ALC standards. Anybody with passing access to your medical records will know you have it. Medical Personnel really don't care, as a given base has a dozen or more HIV cases. For anything less than HIV, almost nobody in medical gives a damn beyond the mandatory paperwork that gets buried in your record along with everything else. Again, anybody could find it, but who cares?

Conceivably, your Commander could coordinate an understanding with the SGH or another high level MDG officer to forward any positive STD findings, however that would be an extreme or unique instance, likely beyond the scope of military necessity, but I've never seen that stop the flow of information to the Commander or any future questioning/investigation.

Realistically, this sounds like the paranoid delusion of somebody that doesn't trust their command and is looking for an excuse for a recent shitty assignment. It doesn't add up.