Let's bitch about the BX here!

Apparently AAFES only counts permanent party when deciding the size of the BXs, so in trending with this thread's well established BX idiocy in management, they did not count the thousands of pipeline and TDY students that go through that base every year.

I got a different excuse from the manager at the CVS BX. He said that the reason Cannon's BX is so small and has such limited hours has everything to do with revenues, not AD footprint. Since Clovis is a less than desirable location for many retirees, the shoppers are mostly AD. Retirees provide the backbone of AAFES revenues, so without them we were stuck with a small, understocked BX that closed early.

I'd assume that's why the resort locations with high retiree populations have the extremely large BX's with all the extras.

I got a different excuse from the manager at the CVS BX. He said that the reason Cannon's BX is so small and has such limited hours has everything to do with revenues, not AD footprint. Since Clovis is a less than desirable location for many retirees, the shoppers are mostly AD. Retirees provide the backbone of AAFES revenues, so without them we were stuck with a small, understocked BX that closed early.

I'd assume that's why the resort locations with high retiree populations have the extremely large BX's with all the extras.

Sounds like a valid reason, what I said I was told during one of my PIQ rides with the deputy OG at the time.

Explains why the Randolph BX is like the Costco from Idiocracy

• Upvote 1

I think we need to start an AF-wide petition to get Five Guys and Rubios in our BXs. You want airmen to spend less time at lunch? Give them the options they want on base.

Or Chipotles, but I agree with the intent.

Edited by Muscle2002

I think we need to start an AF-wide petition to get Five Guys and Rubios in our BXs. You want airmen to spend less time at lunch? Give them the options they want on base.

NEX/MCX's I've been to are lightyears ahead of the shitty AAFES model.

I'm staying on the small submarine base in Point Loma. That base has more stuff and nicer facilities than the AFB I'm stationed at. That wives tale of the USAF getting the nicer things on base is bullshit.

The commissary here is the size of a Sam's Club. The NEX is split into two huge buildings.

If AAFES contracts to Burger King and NEX contracts to McDonalds; how come HMN and IKR have McDonalds on base? Haven't seen that on any other AFB I've been to.

I've noticed that some bases make exceptions for certain things. Lackland had a Godfather's Pizza, Baskin Robins, and Arby's. Some bases don't have Burger Kings, like LTS.

Edited by Azimuth

Maybe I'm just a nostalgic Army brat, but does anyone else like the Robin Hood sub shops? I'd like to see that in my local on-base food court. Right now it seems like all the onbase food options are fairly unhealthy (BK, cheesesteaks, and pizza). I tend to default to commissary sushi (actually quite good here at Ellsworth).

• Downvote 1

If AAFES contracts to Burger King and NEX contracts to McDonalds; how come HMN and IKR have McDonalds on base? Haven't seen that on any other AFB I've been to.

From what I remember (from what I was told when I lived there) about those two was it was a political thing with the New Mexico gov't. Something like Burger King wanted to do something and it didn't jive with the state gov't so they said no no mr. King and Hello Golden Arches.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

Edited by Craftsman

I stopped by Naval Base San Diego. Here's stuff, minus Subway and Starbucks you'll never find on a AFB.

ru1zcp.jpg

Edwards has a Panda Express, Starbucks, Subway, and 2 different pizza places (Anthony's and Pizza Hut)...the IHOP is a new one though.

As for the PFT, just waive your dwell and deploy so that you're exempt when your report is due and you can eat all the crap you want. Duh.

Bendy

Maybe I'm just a nostalgic Army brat, but does anyone else like the Robin Hood sub shops? I'd like to see that in my local on-base food court. Right now it seems like all the onbase food options are fairly unhealthy (BK, cheesesteaks, and pizza). I tend to default to commissary sushi (actually quite good here at Ellsworth).

They're still around, however I think they're closing them. I know the one at Ft Sill just closed to become a Subway.

HRT still has a Robin Hood, as well as a Smoothie King and a couple other random ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This world needs more Charley's Grilled Subs. :vomit:

But hey, Nellis food court has Denny's Express. Ironically, it's the one AF base that doesn't need exotic food establishments on base.

Btw, MCX's barbershops tend to be cheaper compared to AAFES' barbershops.

Edited by PanchBarnes

Btw, MCX's barbershops tend to be cheaper compared to AAFES' barbershops.

Probably because Marines need to get their haircut weekly to stay within their regs, whereas we AF people can get away with twice a month. Or you can just go with the advanced technique: male pattern baldness.

• Upvote 1

Probably because Marines need to get their haircut weekly to stay within their regs, whereas we AF people can get away with twice a month. Or you can just go with the advanced technique: male pattern baldness.

Trim round the ears brah

Twice a month? I just go until I get called out by someone of higher rank twice and then I cut it to a #2 length. I usually get a good 4 weeks out of a haircut.

Edited by sky_king

Twice a month? I just go until I get called out by someone of higher rank twice and then I cut it to a #2 length. I usually get a good 4 weeks out of a haircut.

This. Had to keep the hair longer so I wouldn't get immediately categorized as "military" by the local female population and all the fun things that come with that stereotype.