2014 Fort Hood Shooting

GKinnear

http://www.kcentv.com/story/25146842/reports-of-shooting-on-fort-hood

Thoughts and prayers to those injured...

edit: second local outlet reporting http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Active-Shooter-situation-reported-at-Fort-Hood-253639761.html?llsms=780041&c=y

third local news reporting: http://www.kbtx.com/home/headlines/Active-Shooter-Situation-Reported-At-Fort-Hood-253635771.html

Big 3 (CNN, FOX, MSNBC) are spinning trying to find something to report (some worse than others). Linked to Drudgereport and others...

Nothing solid on motives.

Edited by GKinnear

Just finished watching the entire news conference by the post CG live. Four deceased including the shooter. Most seriously injured sent to Scott & White, which is a nearby Level I trauma center. Some are very critical. Others treated at the on post hospital. All casualties are military. The single shooter was a soldier who killed himself when engaged by MP's. Nothing to indicate any relation to terrorism. Post has been opened back up.

This sucks...and the fallout will be interesting.

On a slightly different note, did anyone see the initial CNN broadcast where they were talking to a Private (who called in) on his cell phone while "sheltered in place?" I'm not too optimistic about his immediate administrative future.

That's a ton of time to be on the loose pulling the trigger.

Who knows exactly how long he had...but regardless, when seconds count, the police are only minutes (at best) away. I doubt much will change after this incident--military members who are trusted with arms inside a base in a combat zone will still not be trusted with one on a base back home. Management's solution: Pretend you're a child once again and have your favorite hiding place ready to go.

My thoughts and prayers are with all the victims and their families. This sucks.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I haven't heard it yet, but I definitely heard it during the navy yard shooting but my favorite taking head argument against guns:

"These shootings are happening on military bases where almost everyone is armed! The argument that an average citizen could stop a mass shooting is ridiculous"

As if we march around all day in formation with weapons at "right shoulder."

I will never understand why our Generals allowed Bill Clinton to disarm us back in the 90's. Each day I carry enough weapons to destroy a city block, yet I can't be trusted to keep a .22 on my leg just in case?

To be accurate and fair, this was started under H.W. Bush, and then has continued under all Presidents since. I see this more as an 'Elite' vs 'common man' issue much more than a Dem vs GOP issue. As far as the Generals, they're not going to tell their boss 'no', especially on this issue.

Even if it wasn't me carrying, I'd love to have an on-base CCW program. Just the thought that a few people may be armed and effectively resistant is a pretty good deterrent.

It only deters rational, logical thinkers. It IS an effective defense.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It only deters rational, logical thinkers. It IS an effective defense.

If it doesn't deter, it eliminates. Nearly EVERY mass shooting ends with the shooter dead, usually by their own hand, and usually at the first sign of resistance. It's no coincidence that the VAST majority of mass shootings take place in "gun free" zones. These are cowardly chickenshit worthless pieces of filth and therefore select the easiest target/environment. If they KNOW that their victims will not be armed, it makes a far more inviting target. Like HU&W said-- even if YOU don't decide to carry, knowing that others around you may be armed is reassuring. I don't think anyone is advocating actively ARMING military members in garrison, they are merely saying that they should be given the OPTION to carry weapons on military installations. If we had armed guys in the building the ridiculous 69 slide active shooter "run and hide" CBT could be consolidated into one slide-- SHOOT THE SUMBITCH!

• Upvote 4

Wasn't this a problem inside the wire in the AOR, we had a so called friendly start shooting up our guys more than once then leadership told everyone to start packing even Airmen and those occurrences slowed or stopped. Being deployed and stateside are 2 different things like you can tell the guy you share a tent/bhut with , you can tell if things are not right with your bud and try to get him help, stateside you only see him on duty hours. We have this false allusion stateside everything is fine and we are safe, read off of drudge that Marines are losing more guys to car accidents than combat. Also read that we lose 22 G.I's a day to suicides. Hell as a commander I would think I would like to keep my guys in the shit, their safer, can shoot back, and staying off the interstates and bars and also they are not alone to handle problems. We have guys who doing this crap since 2001 and have been at war their entire career and doing multiple combat tours, now we are going to make these guys( caged tigers) garrison soldiers. I surprised that this doesn't happen more often.

Anecdotal story here, one day we had a active shooter at KTIK when a divorce went bad and a Airmen killed himself along with his kids in base housing, my SP bud was ready with his team to go in but Base CC gave it to the county sheriff which took time and maybe the lives of those kids. The reason for this story is that Base CC would rather let it go down the way it did than risk losing a SP and losing his career. I saw the prick bastard smile when he was told the Airman was a 552nd troop ( tenant unit) and not a 72nd troop(Base Group). Now I ask the question with the current guys who are base CC's, non rated, finance, personnel , very very very risk adverse, tater tot serving type guys that they would trust us to defend ourselves?

• Upvote 1

Lopezs mother, Carmen Lopez, died in Puerto Rico last year, and he was enraged at the Army for at first refusing to let him attend her services, a childhood pal told El Nuevo Dia, a Puerto Rican newspaper.

Military brass later relented and he was given a 24-hour pass to attend her funeral.

No excuses for this coward but the Army has some explaining to do.

http://nypost.com/2014/04/03/fort-hood-shooter-sought-help-with-mental-issues/

No excuses for this coward but the Army has some explaining to do.http://nypost.com/2014/04/03/fort-hood-shooter-sought-help-with-mental-issues/

I deployed with the Army for a 365. This is how they look after their people. I can't tell you how often I saw "leadership" ing over their troops like this.

I'd rather spend 365 days in a Turkish prison than be affiliated with that organization ever again.

No excuses for this coward but the Army has some explaining to do.

http://nypost.com/2014/04/03/fort-hood-shooter-sought-help-with-mental-issues/

A whole 24 hour pass for him to attend his mothers funeral in Puerto Rico, with the travel involved and such? The Army couldn't grant anything more beyond that?

Agree no excuses for what occurred; but when you peel back the onion in order to try and understand why a person may have been driven to do what they did and what led them there, things like this certainly don't help matters.

A whole 24 hour pass for him to attend his mothers funeral in Puerto Rico, with the travel involved and such? The Army couldn't grant anything more beyond that?

Agree no excuses for what occurred; but when you peel back the onion in order to try and understand why a person may have been driven to do what they did and what led them there, things like this certainly don't help matters.

My thoughts exactly MD, this guy was an E-4 in garrison, surely he absence for a couple days wasn't going to be the missing link that lost the war. This is a blatant example of not taking care of your people, I've seen my leadership get guys home from deployed locations for serious issues on the homefront, there is frankly no excuse for this guy's management (purposeful use of the word).

While I question this guys PTSD from a 4 month deployment that never saw actual combat from my understanding, this type of stuff would be assinine even for a soldier not struggling with it.

how they can release medical information? isn't there doctor/patient confidentiality still in effect?

HIPPA for dead folks. The info can't be released for 50 years, unless....

These include provisions that permit a covered entity to disclose a decedent’s health information: (1) to alert law enforcement to the death of the individual, when there is a suspicion that death resulted from criminal conduct