ENJJPT July 2014

Noob

FYI (may come in handy...)

Situation awareness (SA) involves being aware of what is happening in the vicinity, in order to understand how information, events, and one's own actions will impact goals and objectives, both immediately and in the near future. One with an adept sense of situation awareness generally has a high degree of knowledge with respect to inputs and outputs of a system, i.e. an innate "feel" for situations, people, and events that play out due to variables the subject can control. Lacking or inadequate situation awareness has been identified as one of the primary factors in accidents attributed to human error. Thus, situation awareness is especially important in work domains where the information flow can be quite high and poor decisions may lead to serious consequences.

• Upvote 1

Changed photo for you FUSEPLUG, thought I'd make your day...you did appear to be a little bothered. Thx for the reply though.

GuardGuy beat me to it by seconds as I was about to address the SA piece.

I'm just giving you shit, dude. Best of luck in UPT... sorry, ENJJPT. SA consists of three steps:

1) Keep your mouth shut

2) Thoroughly assess the situation

3) Open your mouth (as required)

This should be boldface.

Yeah, working for 152 FS....queep obviously and only 1 ride in the trunk so far. I made MSgt at 28yo, but yeah...the ETP took about 6 months...and it was for age. Used a little VooDoo...only needed it cause it took all that red tape to commission me last year.

You made MSgt in the Guard dude. Slow your roll.

I'm just giving you shit, dude. Best of luck in UPT... sorry, ENJJPT. SA consists of three steps:

1) Keep your mouth shut

2) Thoroughly assess the situation

3) Open your mouth (as required)

This should be boldface.

FIFY

• Upvote 2

Pretty good, pretty good. Azimuth... I def had to slow my roll...went from (near) the top of one totem pole...to the bottom of another. But oh well, time for a career change.

Take the hint and stop posting.

• Upvote 1

Take the hint and stop posting.

I'm not worried about it....thx Ram...hook, line and sinker.

For those of you gentlemen who have responded in PM...I appreciate it...and I'll continue to try and help as much as I can.

Edited by Noob

Pretty good, pretty good. Azimuth... I def had to slow my roll...went from (near) the top of one totem pole...to the bottom of another. But oh well, time for a career change.

The more senior members of a tribe are on the bottom of totem poles.

FYI

The vertical order of images is widely believed to be a significant representation of importance. This idea is so pervasive that it has entered into common parlance with the phrase "low man on the totem pole". This phrase is indicative of the most common belief of ordering importance, that the higher figures on the pole are more important or prestigious. A counterargument frequently heard is that figures are arranged in a "reverse hierarchy" style, with the most important representations being on the bottom, and the least important being on top. There have never been any restrictions on vertical order; many poles have significant figures on the top, others on the bottom, and some in the middle. Other poles have no vertical arrangement at all, consisting of a lone figure atop an undecorated column.

Sometimes a very exclusive or prestigious family crest is placed on the bottom. There it supports the remainder of the crests above. Placing a figure on the bottom increases its prominence as a feature of the pole, as trees are thicker towards the base, increasing the bottom figure's size. Placement on the bottom also brings that figure closer to the people, increasing their interaction with that crest. Haida doorways are often seen embedded in the bottoms of house-frontal poles. These were kept deliberately small. To enter, guests and members of the house would need to bow in respect to the supporting crest of the pole.

Conversely, the tops of Haida poles often feature a family's moiety-crest. Haidas come from one of two moieties and identify primarily as the descendants of an eagle or a raven-associated family. This 'primary' crest could be said to be more important as the first level of family identity and societal structure, or less important as one of the most common and least exclusive crests.

Given the complexity and meaning of symbolism in Haida totem poles, which figure is most important could be considered arbitrary. The importance of each crest is in the observer's informedness and connection to the meanings of each figure. Asserting that one figure, story, or history is more important than another because of its placement on a pole may reflect the observer's own cultural perceptions of hierarchy than the actual significance of the figures.

• Upvote 1