913th Airlift Group - C-130J, Little Rock

So any unit that has any firings of the unit has me raising an eyebrow. I was looking at that as a possible future unit but the spidey sense is tingling here. What are the thoughts on the unit as a future home in light recent events?

I don't think you have anything to worry about. They weren't fired because of anything illegal or immoral from the info I have.

So any unit that has any firings of the unit has me raising an eyebrow. I was looking at that as a possible future unit but the spidey sense is tingling here. What are the thoughts on the unit as a future home in light recent events?

I thought I didn't understand that first sentence last night because I was drinking. But I still don't get it this morning.

If anything, the recent events have helped break through some of the two team mindset.

• 3 months later...

If that's the case then why have any associate reserve units?

AFRC is trying to close units with their own facilities. Pope is probably one of the most expensive to keep open along with those that operate Air Reserve Bases. Pope is a little different because the AF winds up paying for most of the airfield costs...and they don't want to keep paying for the Army's airfield. They like AFRC units located on active AFB or other joint facilities. Keeping LR means keeping an AFRC unit on an active base.

Closing LR would save them the manpower billets but little else. It's chump change compared to the other stand-alone units. It would be moving in the wrong direction as far as saving money for the long haul.

If the 913th associates, the OSS goes away along with a few ART positions.

Edit: The OSS would go away, but the 913th would keep an OSF that would integrate into the 19th OSS. Full-time ART billets would be reduced to around 5 pilot positions, and the maintenance footprint would be reduced.

Edited by Hueypilot

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
The 5-0 is effectively shutdown

Is the 327th still flying H's, or are they still hoping and praying for the J?

From what I understand, and I am not at LR, the H3s are gone, the manpower in the 5-0 is mostly gone. That is to say that that there are a handful of people left...the reserves are going to form a classic association with the 19th and are starting or have already started putting people through JMATS.

Anyone with better info feel free to correct any of that.

The 50th will be at zero manpower by April, and will be inactivated at the end of the FY.  The 913th has most of their flight crew currently in JMATS or graduated.  They are already flying with the 19th AW.  Over the remainder of this FY, they will form a classic association with the 19th AW.  The active duty squadrons have reduced manning to accommodate the Reservists.  They will retain their own chain of command, but will fly 19AW iron.  Eventually (likely this summer), they will manage their own flying schedule.  At some point, they may get their own iron, but there's really nothing concrete on that at this time.

And if anyone is interested in full-time employment, they have 5 ART vacancies right now.  Many ARTs have left to go to the airline world.  There are also TR positions available.  

• 4 weeks later...
On March 18, 2016 at 8:44 PM, Hueypilot said:

The active duty squadrons have reduced manning to accommodate the Reservists.

They further reduced? About 2yrs ago they left a 2.3 crew ratio, so they reduced it again? No way in hell big blue would use any foresight when it comes to manning. 

• 2 weeks later...
On April 10, 2016 at 11:29 PM, Herkasaurus said:

They further reduced? About 2yrs ago they left a 2.3 crew ratio, so they reduced it again? No way in hell big blue would use any foresight when it comes to manning. 

They reduced the 41st to a 2.0 crew ratio, and the 327th is manned at a .5 crew ratio.  That way the manning numbers work and they don't have a million folks trying to get one sortie a month to stay current.