Air Force MARS Phone Patch

b1bhandler

I would like to recognize and thank the members of the Air Force MARS phone patch net. You don't hear too much about them. There is an old post on here, but one thing it says is they are sponsored by Sprint which is not true. They are part of the Air Force Military Auxiliary Radio System and volunteer their time and equipment to support us. They can use commercial or DSN numbers for official or morale calls from anywhere in the world if conditions are right. I used them not too long ago while over the Atlantic to call our command post and also got weather from METRO. They were a big help.
Thanks guys.

There is an old post on here, but one thing it says is they are sponsored by Sprint which is not true.

It was true in 2010.

Para 5: "All Air Force MARS phone patch stations have sponsored (toll free) phone lines by SPRINT telephone service for personal calls, and worldwide DSN access for official calls."

Untitled_zpsbe95190f.jpg

Throw this in your helmet bag or IFG, also comes in handy when you need to crush a newb.

Edited by Spoo

MARS is 10x better than the Global HF system. You can call and call on the Global system and not get a response. One transmission on the MARS calling freq, and you'll get a response right away I don't even bother with Global while CONUS. 13.927 MARS and the 11 MHz freq listed for Trenton Military in the FIH should be in everyone's kneeboard. The MARS website above does say the phone minutes are donated by Sprint.

Edited by snoopyeast

MARS is 10x better than the Global HF system. You can call and call on the Global system and not get a response. One transmission on the MARS calling freq, and you'll get a response right away I don't even bother with Global while CONUS. 13.927 MARS and the 11 MHz freq listed for Trenton Military in the FIH should be in everyone's kneeboard. The MARS website above does say the phone minutes are donated by Sprint.

60% of the time ALE works 100% of the time.

11.175, 11.232, and 13.927 are clutch.

Thanks to b1bhandler and others for your comments and they are most appreciated. As a member of the MARS phone patch net and seeing the recent comments, I thought I would provide some accurate information on the current net.

We are members of the Air Force MARS program. Sprint used to provide phone cards but has pretty much quit them and as the current ones run out many are not renewed. However, the majority of the stations have unlimited nationwide calling and one or two have international calling capabilities. DSN is always available.

We are not supposed to mention frequencies, but since they are already posted on here 13927.0 is the primary frequency and 7633.5 is secondary. Many of the stations monitor both these frequencies at the same time. First call should be on the primary and then try secondary if no one responds. If it is felt that better communication can be accomplished on one of the other frequencies then the operator will request you move but normally the 4, 11, 20 and 27 are not regularly monitored. Calling and operation information is on the websites mentioned.

The members of the net appreciates your service and it is an honor to be able to help you.

Regards,

Richard/AFA6BU

• Upvote 12

Members have from simple to large stations. I have a fairly large station with six HF transceivers, four HF power amplifiers and an array of antennas to cover all HF frequencies as well as VHF/UHF coverage. Photos can be seen at http://afa6bu.org. I usually monitor the phone patch net frequencies most of the time when home averaging 40 hours or more a week. Can do other things while monitoring. When not on the net or at the same time, I also do support with the US Coast Guard through their Auxiliary and chase working as many countries as I can. Have just over 300 worked up to now.

• Upvote 3

Wow, that is quite the setup you've got there!

+1, that is very cool.

Members have from simple to large stations. I have a fairly large station with six HF transceivers, four HF power amplifiers and an array of antennas to cover all HF frequencies as well as VHF/UHF coverage. Photos can be seen at http://afa6bu.org. I usually monitor the phone patch net frequencies most of the time when home averaging 40 hours or more a week. Can do other things while monitoring. When not on the net or at the same time, I also do support with the US Coast Guard through their Auxiliary and chase working as many countries as I can. Have just over 300 worked up to now.

I finished my amateur technician license a couple years ago then got 365'd and forgot everything I learned. This is the first time I've heard of MARS, and I thank you for your service and hope to give you a call next time I get a chance!

This is great stuff! I was familiar with the MARS folks but never tried it out. I've tried the HF Global network several times back home and was only ever able to make a successful phone call once..

Will look forward to giving this a go on my first flight back home.

There are several things to keep in mind when using MARS Radio:
Call on the primary frequency first. All MARS stations monitor the primary frequency both day and night. The secondary frequency is night US Time or when you are close to the MARS station and he can not hear you on the primary frequency. Some MARS station monitor the primary and secondary frequency at the same time.
Give your approximate location if not classified. The MARS station can often improve reception if the operator knows which way to aim the antenna. Having the antenna pointed correctly can make the difference between "Loud and Clear" and "Weak, Barely Readable". The location does not have to be specific. The state or country if not the US or Canada is sufficient. The MARS station might give his location and ask which direction you are from him.
Call multiple times. To avoid confusion, the only station that will answer you on the first call is the "Net Control" station. If "Net Control" does not hear you, other stations will respond after your second radio call. Also, if you are answered by an operator other than the net control, he will usually first contact the NCS to see who will handle your patch. Talk distinctly. Another station may be assigned to you based on your location and rotation of the operators.
EXAMPLE RADIO CALL:
"MARS RADIO. MARS RADIO, REACH 123, NORTH ATLANTIC, OVER"
If after calling several times you do not get any response, you may wish to try again in 30 minutes when propagation may be different or try the secondary frequency. You may be moved to another frequency for better communication or if there is active traffic on the primary.
Please pass this information on to other crews.
  • Upvote 5

I've used MARS many times, and the operators were always extremely helpful.

Another Helmet Bag item that is nice to have is a list of frequencies for CB radio channels. "Breaker 1-9, Breaker 1-9, This is SkyyyTrucker. Anyone hear my radio?"

Hilarity ensues. (or so I've heard).

http://www.csgnetwork.com/cbradiofreq.html

Works great on low levels. Dial up trucker common when approaching any major road. Light burners crossing road at night and wait for the ensuing commentary. I've been described variously as a 4 ship of F-18s, a stealth and a UFO.

• Upvote 1