What you wrote:

What I read:

Personally, I love to go to Rome or Barcelona - if only the Air Force would send me. I refuse to waste my family's time, my time and taxpayer money doing something that I full well know will further my career and support my family for no other reason than to further my career and continue supporting my family. I feel like doing less work is more important than making sure the career I have is secure, again, the one I use to support my family. The funny part is, although I could take the opportunity to work really hard and do something worthwhile, I'm just going to pass on it now and waste my kid's education benefits that I chose not to give them (they'd have just wasted the opportunity anyways.)

Even though this isn't what I said... I'll bite.

I'd love to go to Rome or Barcelona too - we have no issues there.

You assume I don't work hard already? It has nothing to do with the amount of work and everything to do with what I am working towards. I know I'd take an online college about as seriously as my cyber awareness challenge CBT. Although, now that I think about it, I did go back through and collect all the trophies so maybe I'd like online college.

You don't need the GI bill to send your kids to college.

I agree that trident university makes you a better person and officer... on paper.

There is no butt hurt here. I know the possible consequences of my decision - that's where having a backup plan comes into play.

What you wrote:

What I read:

Personally, I love to go to Rome or Barcelona - if only the Air Force would send me. I refuse to waste my family's time, my time and taxpayer money doing something that I full well know will further my career and support my family for no other reason than to further my career and continue supporting my family. I feel like doing less work is more important than making sure the career I have is secure, again, the one I use to support my family. The funny part is, although I could take the opportunity to work really hard and do something worthwhile, I'm just going to pass on it now and waste my kid's education benefits that I chose not to give them (they'd have just wasted the opportunity anyways.)

You're often pretty spot on, but this comes off as "I played the game, so you should too." Whether you meant it to or not, which I doubt you did. I had the exact same attitude he did, got promoted and sent to school in res. some of you have the erroneous belief that you can only "work hard" if you get the extra AAD on top of everything else. I was ready to be RIFed, but I had worked hard minus the AAD. My bosses saw that, and took care of me. I recognize that may be rare, but it still happens. No exec jobs either.

All he really said was he refused to play their game and is ready to accept the consequences. What's wrong with that? People like him will change the game, not those saying "play it safe, get your degree anyway." Those people will ensure things keep going the way they are.

Edit: buffoonery

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

Edited by slackline

Guest LumberjackAxe

All he really said was he refused to play their game and is ready to accept the consequences. What's wrong with that? People like him will change the game, not those saying "play it safe, get your degree anyway." Those people will ensure things going the way they are.

Yeah my philosophy on it is to not play the game, simply because I'm really only here to fly around the world for a few years and then punch out. If Big Blue decides that I get to leave early (because I have no AAD), then so be it!

But, I'd offer a better solution than simply nothing or everything--get your BAC+, regardless of how you feel about getting the full AAD box checked. Why? Because you still don't want to be bottom of the barrel, and having a BAC+ is a very easy and simple way to boost your SURF. Hell, you can go to Brandman University Online, sign up for their OLMP Master's, get an automatic 12 or 13 credits for commissioning, pay for ONE class, and you'll have more than 15 credits. BAM. Bac+ for minimal effort.

Depending on your integrity (and I'm not suggesting this, of course...), having a BAC+ would possibly give the appearance that you are actively working for your Masters, even if you're not.

As soon as I got my BAC+, I stopped taking classes. I don't care about staying in past 10 years (and strongly disagree with this promotions system), but I still know the rules of the game and you still have to play a little bit, even if you don't like them.

^ This is awesome. I've said it before and I'll say it again: there are work-arounds for most things in the AF, especially idiotic things like Masters degrees. Had I known about Brandman 3 years ago I would have jumped on this in a heartbeat (after all, what girl wouldn't want a "Brandman"?!).

But, I'd offer a better solution than simply nothing or everything--get your BAC+, regardless of how you feel about getting the full AAD box checked. Why? Because you still don't want to be bottom of the barrel, and having a BAC+ is a very easy and simple way to boost your SURF. Hell, you can go to Brandman University Online, sign up for their OLMP Master's, get an automatic 12 or 13 credits for commissioning, pay for ONE class, and you'll have more than 15 credits. BAM. Bac+ for minimal effort.

Amazing!

Yeah my philosophy on it is to not play the game, simply because I'm really only here to fly around the world for a few years and then punch out. If Big Blue decides that I get to leave early (because I have no AAD), then so be it!

Depending on your integrity (and I'm not suggesting this, of course...), having a BAC+ would possibly give the appearance that you are actively working for your Masters, even if you're not.

As soon as I got my BAC+, I stopped taking classes. I don't care about staying in past 10 years (and strongly disagree with this promotions system), but I still know the rules of the game and you still have to play a little bit, even if you don't like them.

The issue, of course, is the managers who use masters degree completion (or lack thereof) in determining who gets "good" assignments. Heaven forbid you show your cards, admit that you have zero desire to stay beyond your UPT ADSC, and tell the boss that you're not going to waste your time nor taxpayer dollars on a fraud/waste/abuse masters degree. It's easier to send that non-conformist to Preds or whatever than someone who pretends to want to be an AD O-6 someday.

I'd at least recommend people get a joke of a BAC+, and ride that out if they don't want to get the whole thing.

Guest LumberjackAxe

The issue, of course, is the managers who use masters degree completion (or lack thereof) in determining who gets "good" assignments. Heaven forbid you show your cards, admit that you have zero desire to stay beyond your UPT ADSC, and tell the boss that you're not going to waste your time nor taxpayer dollars on a fraud/waste/abuse masters degree. It's easier to send that non-conformist to Preds or whatever than someone who pretends to want to be an AD O-6 someday.

I'd at least recommend people get a joke of a BAC+, and ride that out if they don't want to get the whole thing.

Yeah, it's a very fine line--I know I'm not going to make O-5 (nor do I want to) so I don't volunteer my free time doing things to be competitive for that, but at the same time, I'm not bragging about not giving a shit for the reasons you said (at least not publicly outside of BODN).

I sat down with my CC when discussing my next assignment, and told him that short term, I want to focus on making Instructor upgrade. As far as long term goes, I want to keep my options open because who knows how I'll feel at the end of my ADSC? Which is true, but I'm about 90% sure I know how I'll feel--hence the BAC+ and nothing more. It also gives me loads of free time for what I consider personal development, not what the AF considers personal development. I'm much happier this way.

I don't advocate "box checking" or "playing the game for game's sake" and I certainly do not feel that since I did something that means you should too. If you know the consequences, you make your own decisions.

The initial post literally said, "I'd love to get a master's degree in something relevant or useful - if only the Air Force would send me." If that's true, is it impossible to find a "relevant or useful" master's degree without the Air Force sending you or is it only not fraud, waste and abuse if I pay for both your basic pay and tuition at the same time? I would humbly submit that you get out what you put in to it, wether it's online or not. The lack of available options was not the presented rationale for not pursuing it, rather pure principle: they said I don't need to...therefore I will not. If you know the consequences, you make your own decisions.

You must "work hard" at your job. No one believes that getting an AAD will make up for sub-par performance when you show up for work and there is no erroneous belief that you can only "work hard" if you get an AAD. I believe there is an erroneous belief that you should have the available resources to excel at your primary duty while spending the time to study for an AAD that will prove to be "relevant and/or useful". This is why people with average capacity should start early...doing it right takes time.

Working hard and choosing to do less work are not the same thing. No one is saying anyone specific is not working hard...I am saying that choosing to not get an AAD while it is an option is choosing to do less work. I'm sure when you separate and get your degree it won't be nearly as taxing on your family as getting one now. (To help you understand me: that was sarcastic.)

The GI bill is really not much of a player in the decision matrix if you have children. Pay for your school later or pay for theirs, you are paying for something (if you even choose to do that; with attitudes like this, I'd pay for yours since yours will likely cost much more). Personally, I don't think people should do anything more than get cheaper online degrees. Different conversation though...

If you know the consequences, you make your own decisions. There is nothing wrong with that at all in my opinion. I'm amused by the BAC+ risk mitigated strategy....sounds like a logical plan though. I'm not here to judge you. You get to "take a stand", "do less work", and "play the game" all at the same time...quite crafty.

I still fail to see the straw man in the room,

Bendy

Edited by Bender

If that's true, is it impossible to find a "relevant or useful" master's degree without the Air Force sending you or is it only not fraud, waste and abuse if I pay for both your basic pay and tuition at the same time?

If the Air Force was serious about education then it would send officers to obtain real master's degrees. There are already programs like this for medical officers, force support, CE, etc. You are not required to pay tuition during SOS but the Air Force pays to maintain the facilities and staff.

I would humbly submit that you get out what you put in to it, wether it's online or not.

I agree. However, based on the quality of education you get from an online school, I could just buy the books and work hard to learn the material.

You must "work hard" at your job. No one believes that getting an AAD will make up for sub-par performance when you show up for work and there is no erroneous belief that you can only "work hard" if you get an AAD.

I disagree. I have seen sub-par performers make Colonel based on nothing more than looking good on paper and timing. I have also seen extraordinary pilots and leaders being passed over because they had not finished their AAD and wouldn't be "competitive."

Working hard and choosing to do less work are not the same thing. No one is saying anyone specific is not working hard...I am saying that choosing to not get an AAD while it is an option is choosing to do less work.

There are only so many hours in the day. You can either spend them writing OPRs, learning more about flying, spending time with the family, sleeping, etc. Choose which one you want to suffer while you work on an online AAD.

I'm sure when you separate and get your degree it won't be nearly as taxing on your family as getting one now. (To help you understand me: that was sarcastic.)

If you have enough money saved / invested then no it wouldn't be taxing on the family. I never said I was separating - it's my backup plan for being RIF'ed due to lack of master's degree.

I am not arguing that people should not try to further themselves as officers and leaders. I am arguing that a degree in "Space Law" won't help you lead a wing. I am arguing that reading books on previous wars and learning your job is more important than paying a diploma mill for a degree. Perhaps if we rid ourselves of these little check boxes then maybe we will have to look a little bit harder at career performance. The master's degree requirement has already held back enough hard chargers and pushed too many weak performers to the top. It's an irrelevant metric and should be completely eliminated from the miltiary.

"If getting advanced academic education makes you a better performer in your job, i.e. STEM and professional career fields, pursue the education and let the improved performance show in your performance reports ..." - Gen. Welsh

• Upvote 2