Deployed again....from my deployment?

Flare

Here's a new one....to me at least. Wanted to see if any of you all had heard this, or experienced it. I'm currently 8.69 months into a 365. I volunteered for it as a result of getting the "you're getting a 365 next week" warning e-mail (my CC did some checking into it; it was valid and I was going to get a different one). Prior to all of this, I was assigned to the X4 band (1 Apr - 30 Sep 14) at an AETC base. Early last week, I started getting e-mails (to my home station e-mail) that I needed to complete my required X4 band CBTs. Then, yesterday, I received an e-mail from my CC that he was PCAing me to a different squadron so that I wouldn't get tagged for a 179 as my name is apparently being thrown around for it. Good for me that he's willing to help me avoid this, but really....WTF? Apparently, he was told that I could still be deployed (from my deployed location) or deployed again as soon as I get home in May. AFI 36-2110 clearly states:

5.6. Post Deployment Deferment Period. Airmen are exempt from extended deployment selection for 6 months following return from an AEF deployment or an Extended Deployment. Eligibility is calculated from return date to the date of first training or RDD (at time of selection), whichever is earlier. Approval authority to deploy Airmen before their deferment period expires will be for valid mission reasons only and will be approved by AFPC, Director of Assignments.

So, have any of you seen or heard this? I know the AF can do whatever they want (and the porch just broke a different promise to me 3 weeks ago, so my skepticism is at an all-time high), but has anyone else ever seen this?

Do 179 day taskings even have a name attached to them when they hit the wing?

I didn't think they did, but I don't know for sure...what I do know is thinking that you need to deploy a deployed person is straight out fucked up.

We definitely better shut off all the rest of this force management shit quick!

Bendy

If they PCS-d you (not 365 Itdy), you could be vulnerable, since you're at your PDS. If you're on a 365 Itdy, you are likely NOT vulnerable for a 179 until 6 mos post return from the TDY...but they CAN task you NOW to deploy exactly six months after your return...

I see a lot more of this in our near future. Of course they're going to try to do more with less when they are quickly cutting 25K personnel that they didn't originally plan for, and now even the original plan to gradually cut 25K over 5 years is being accelerated again without a real plan for "how do we cover current ops" question. There are going to be a lot of shortfalls on taskings out there and poor fucks who are denied VSP and spared the RIF will have to fill them.

If I were anyone in a position to give advice, I would probably wait until these wars were over before I start making cuts to my overstressed force when I still have overseas commitments I'm having trouble filling. That's just me though...I'm just a BODN bitcher without the big picture (wait...did I just bust a rhyme??).

Again, life is going to suck the next few years in the AF...

I see a lot more of this in our near future. Of course they're going to try to do more with less when they are quickly cutting 25K personnel that they didn't originally plan for, and now even the original plan to gradually cut 25K over 5 years is being accelerated again without a real plan for "how do we cover current ops" question. There are going to be a lot of shortfalls on taskings out there and poor fucks who are denied VSP and spared the RIF will have to fill them.

If I were anyone in a position to give advice, I would probably wait until these wars were over before I start making cuts to my overstressed force when I still have overseas commitments I'm having trouble filling. That's just me though...I'm just a BODN bitcher without the big picture (wait...did I just bust a rhyme??).

Maybe they found the perfect 7-day opt recipe, so they won't have to pay VSP...

Flare-

I'm wondering what training or specialty you're in that made you such a hot commodity. I guess it's possible you just pissed the wrong person off but 18 month deployments in a two year span? Sheesh. I hope you're flying, tho somehow I doubt it.

Do 179 day taskings even have a name attached to them when they hit the wing?

I didn't think they did, but I don't know for sure...what I do know is thinking that you need to deploy a deployed person is straight out fucked up.

We definitely better shut off all the rest of this force management shit quick!

Bendy

I thought 179s didn't even hit the wings anymore. That's all done by the AFPC AEF sausage grinder.

The only time the wing comes in is if you want to swap, you can swap within your wing.

This whole scenario makes me think the AFPC AEF section hasn't caught on to the fact that Flare is already deployed.

I know 11Fs are short, but I refuse to believe were at the point of breaching min dwell time to support all the dumb 11F taskings.

I thought 179s didn't even hit the wings anymore. That's all done by the AFPC AEF sausage grinder.

The only time the wing comes in is if you want to swap, you can swap within your wing.

This whole scenario makes me think the AFPC AEF section hasn't caught on to the fact that Flare is already deployed.

I know 11Fs are short, but I refuse to believe were at the point of breaching min dwell time to support all the dumb 11F taskings.

If it can be swapped within the wing, why would there be a need to PCA somebody? How can anyone not "catch on" (duty status *should* reflect it)? Maybe they don't check that...seems important, but what the fuck do I know.

RTB nailed it. The whole thing is beyond stupid at this point. We just took something stupid and made it stupider. THAT is not easy to do...you have to try.

AFPC has been trying really hard lately.

Bendy

Probably. TDY history is not updated until you return from a trip; therefore, you can have a significant jump in STRD or Short Tours completed when you return. On vMPF main page you should see your Individual Dwell Time (IDT Counter). Those #'s should show your 1:1 dwell based upon your current deployment. The 1:1 dwell is written in Deployment Availability Code (DAV) 81. If there is no indication of a deployment, get it fixed ASAP.

I hope that helps. I am afraid for you and others in the position of deployment to 365/PCS to the Died (I assume). I hope the 1-yr PCS is not how we "fix the glitch."

http://youtu.be/F4eCd6xUSik

This sounds all too familiar...

Probably. TDY history is not updated until you return from a trip; therefore, you can have a significant jump in STRD or Short Tours completed when you return. On vMPF main page you should see your Individual Dwell Time (IDT Counter). Those #'s should show your 1:1 dwell based upon your current deployment. The 1:1 dwell is written in Deployment Availability Code (DAV) 81. If there is no indication of a deployment, get it fixed ASAP.

I hope that helps. I am afraid for you and others in the position of deployment to 365/PCS to the Died (I assume). I hope the 1-yr PCS is not how we "fix the glitch."

Can you explain what I'm looking at on the IDT counter? Mine says 172 days but TDY history doesn't show anything more recent than 2012. Thanks.

Can you explain what I'm looking at on the IDT counter? Mine says 172 days but TDY history doesn't show anything more recent than 2012. Thanks.

Are you saying your TDY history is incorrect or the 172 days?

I am an Enabler so YMMV. On the vMPF homepage, top center I have an IDT counter. Top part explains my AEF bucket (Enabler) and bottom part has three values. First value is Individual Dwell Time(IDT). Mine lists 69 days which is length of my last deployment; not a joke. Next, IDT Expiration date is listed. Mine lists 1 Sept 2013, which is 69 days from my last completed deployment. The last value is IDT Counter, which shows 180 days. This is the length of my current deployment. These numbers may change for AEF cycles. Compare your experience to the data and hopefully, something logical falls out.

IDT counter is the number of days since you returned from your last deployment.

If your deployments and/or TDYs are not showing up in your TDY history, you need to take your travel vouchers for the missing trips over to the personnel people to get your records fixed.