Upcoming Boards

1 hour ago, FoxtrotNovemberGolf said:

Thanks for the info. I'm wishing people who got some good news would say something. It's fun to read about and see if there's any inside information like there has been in past years.

Looking for anything in particular?

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:58 AM, FoxtrotNovemberGolf said:

I think it's fun seeing guys from the forums here having success in getting interviews/slots. There have been plenty of boards so far, so I'd imagine there should be some.

I got hired by a fighter unit recently--my dream for as long as I can remember. I visited the unit prior to applying and showed genuine interest in the unit, the area, the current pilots' histories and end goals, etc. I was social, but drank without making an ass out of myself. I'm a happy dude, so drinking and hanging out with people who are very accomplished at something I've cared about being successful at my entire life was awesome. I didn't kiss ass, and I wasn't a dick to the other guys interviewing/rushing. As far as the interview goes, I'm pretty sure I gave some good answers because I got some laughs and some nods, but I think it all came down to showing them who you are and what your approach to getting through pilot training is. They want your answer, so don't try to be someone you're not or someone you think they want. Use good judgment, STFU, and all that stuff you've heard before.

Getting the phone call was awesome! Getting hired is by far the greatest accomplishment of my life. I'm incredibly honored that a bunch of awesome guys got together and said "Yeah, we like this guy enough to include him in our inner circle. We think he comes from good stock, we think he can go the distance, and he just fits in with who/what we are." With all that said, I'm still blown away that I have the opportunity to pursue my dream job, but now I've switched my focus to kicking ass during training and getting through the pipeline as quickly as possible so I can be useful to my unit.

Anyway, sorry for the long read, but I hope it gives you guys/gals something to look forward to. Stay positive, and feel free to PM me so we don't further derail the thread.

• Upvote 6

24 minutes ago, tk1313 said:

I got hired by a fighter unit recently--my dream for as long as I can remember. I visited the unit prior to applying and showed genuine interest in the unit, the area, the current pilots' histories and end goals, etc. I was social, but drank without making an ass out of myself. I'm a happy dude, so drinking and hanging out with people who are very accomplished at something I've cared about being successful at my entire life was awesome. I didn't kiss ass, and I wasn't a dick to the other guys interviewing/rushing. As far as the interview goes, I'm pretty sure I gave some good answers because I got some laughs and some nods, but I think it all came down to showing them who you are and what your approach to getting through pilot training is. They want your answer, so don't try to be someone you're not or someone you think they want. Use good judgment, STFU, and all that stuff you've heard before.

Getting the phone call was awesome! Getting hired is by far the greatest accomplishment of my life. I'm incredibly honored that a bunch of awesome guys got together and said "Yeah, we like this guy enough to include him in our inner circle. We think he comes from good stock, we think he can go the distance, and he just fits in with who/what we are." With all that said, I'm still blown away that I have the opportunity to pursue my dream job, but now I've switched my focus to kicking ass during training and getting through the pipeline as quickly as possible so I can be useful to my unit.

Anyway, sorry for the long read, but I hope it gives you guys/gals something to look forward to. Stay positive, and feel free to PM me so we don't further derail the thread.

Congrats man! 

• Upvote 1

Echo all the above. I applied to 50 fighter boards and did 7 interviews before I got hired. Keep applying if you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 3

While my situation is probably going to be far different than most, I was picked up by a fighter unit in October 2015, ran into some hurdles, reapplied to a different fighter unit, and interviewed/was hired by them in August 2016. Overall, I applied to 8 fighter units and interviewed at 6 of those.

First and foremost, if there's ever a meet-and-greet or cookout hosted by the unit, go to it. I cannot stress enough how important it is to show face and prove you want to be there, much less make sure you're a good fit with the unit. Obviously, this will also let the folks in the unit see what kind of person you are outside of a "rehearsed" interview. I made an effort to talk to every pilot there during the meet-and-greets, but I never once tried to blow smoke up their butts - they will see right through it. I genuinely wanted to know how they got to where they were and any advice they might have for training. In the end, it's all about being a good and genuine dude/chick that can prove they can get the job done.

PM me if you have any specific questions or want further details on anything in particular.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, cagg011 said:

While my situation is probably going to be far different than most, I was picked up by a fighter unit in October 2015, ran into some hurdles, reapplied to a different fighter unit, and interviewed/was hired by them in August 2016. Overall, I applied to 8 fighter units and interviewed at 6 of those.

PM me if you have any specific questions or want further details on anything in particul.

I know you said to PM, but that's a pet peeve of mine since then the knowledge only benefits one person vs the group. However, I realize this may be a personal question, so I understand if you pass on it. What were the hurdles and why would they preclude you from joining the original unit? And how would they not prevent you from joining this other unit? Why didn't the original unit stick with you while you, presumably, fixed the issue?

Just curious if there are pitfalls to avoid since my age will prevent me from having any second chances.

EDIT: never mind... Just read through your history.

Edited by FoxtrotNovemberGolf

On 5/30/2017 at 8:04 PM, FoxtrotNovemberGolf said:
I know you said to PM, but that's a pet peeve of mine since then the knowledge only benefits one person vs the group. However, I realize this may be a personal question, so I understand if you pass on it. What were the hurdles and why would they preclude you from joining the original unit? And how would they not prevent you from joining this other unit? Why didn't the original unit stick with you while you, presumably, fixed the issue?

Just curious if there are pitfalls to avoid since my age will prevent me from having any second chances.
EDIT: never mind... Just read through your history.

Yes, it is personal but it started with a SG waiver. I'd prefer not to discuss the entire situation in a public setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by cagg011

Anyone heard from the 115FW? Interview notifications are scheduled to be out today.

EDIT: Scratch that, got an email literally 30 seconds after posting this saying they're running behind schedule because they received so many packets.

Edited by mb1685

1 hour ago, Herk Driver said:

Results flow through NAF/CCs to WG/CCs. If they aren't reaching out to you then probably through your recruiter.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Ahh that makes sense. Who schedules the training dates? And how long after board approval does that usually come? I always get a few different answers on this. Training to give my employer The largest heads up as possible as it will take time to replace my position.

download.jpg.5a327da78dd2002f9ba0627e603ea0ce.jpg

The 166th ARS at Rickenbacker ANGB is having a UPT board in July. This has already been mentioned, but the upcoming drill is the one to go visit if you want the job. This is an outstanding sq with a lot of history and the guys are top notch. So is the traveling. Full-time positions will likely be available by the time you complete training. If the airlines along with part-time military flying career path interests you, the KC-135 is arguably the best way to get you there. You have to want to serve, not saying use it as a stepping stone of course. Hit up 166ars.pilothiring@gmail.com or PM for more info.

OH_ANG_FC_-7856.jpg.d7549403024f5834f0f33328d16e95e6.jpg

Edited by Bobsan

On 6/2/2017 at 10:04 AM, JustHangingOut said:

If we go through a recruiter for unsponsored AFRC UPT boards, can the recruiters help get age waivers?

I've heard that the official answer is no, but to try anyway. 

11 hours ago, mrgrey said:

Why did they take afpilotjobs.com off, I really loved that site. I wonder how much bogidope.com paid them.

While I'm a bit disappointed to see the growing trend of monetizing the guard application process, bogidope's job listings are more comprehensive than afpilotjobs'. And last time I checked the bogidope site, the job listing page is free (not the fancy map, but the basic list). I got interviewed by a unit I never would have known was even having a board due to bogidope, as it wasn't listed on afpilotjobs. (I do not pay a subscription to bogidope)

• Upvote 3