Upcoming Boards

11 hours ago, sludgesloan said:

I saw that email but filled mine out just fine without seeing anything about a $50 fee. I just input my info and submitted. 

It was just that Google form right?

Yeah they must've updated the Google form taking out the fee question after sending out the 2nd email explaining that the $50 was not required and that paying would provide "app review services." There was initially a question basically saying "Are you willing to pay $50 to be considered for this UPT slot?" with answers of "yes" or "No I won't pay $50 and do not want to be considered" and a Venmo code to scan to pay it...

Edited by Tomahawk

2 hours ago, Tomahawk said:

There was initially a question basically saying "Are you willing to pay $50 to be considered for this UPT slot?" with answers of "yes" or "No I won't pay $50 and do not want to be considered" and a Venmo code to scan to pay it...

Seriously? Sounds like they fixed the problem, but holy shit I can’t believe the total lack of SA on ver 1 of email if true. 

36 minutes ago, pwhockey11 said:

I had a friend who was invited to a rush for LA. He was telling me they kept it very small (like 12 people)

Interesting, thanks! Any gouge on average scores / flight experience of those invited?

1 minute ago, pwhockey11 said:

I can't speak to the whole group, but my buddies scores were pretty high and he is a CFI with like 1,500 hours.

Different units seem to have different key items. Someone high test, scores, many emphasize, being local, some care less about being local over flights experience, some you need to know someone.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

For those with experience being an older applicant or hiring a finalist needing an age waiver-

I'm seeing 3 types of age limits on UPT postings:

1. 33 (some listing 30)

2. 33- Age Waivers case by case

3. 33- No Age Waivers

For squadrons that listed 1 or 2, do you think it's worth it to fly out to their meet and greet or is it a hard rule? What if I was invited even though I'm over the age limit, should I say something?

The reason I ask is because a squadron I interviewed with last year said they'll interview me for 2023 board and if chosen they'll push the paperwork for an age waiver.  I remember last year they listed an age limit (I applied when I was below the age limit) which got me wondering how strict is the age limit?

Also, should I be up front and list it on my resume and mention it at meet and greets? My mentor who is in a heavy squadron told me to NEVER mention it on my resume and if they want to find out my age they will figure it out. I had a bad experience doing this, I was chosen to interview for a slot and when they asked my age, I saw a few jaws dropped and they all scribbled furiously notes and I knew immediately I was out of consideration because of it.

TIA

If the squadron says no age waivers over X, and you’re over X, then not worth your time to visit. But, if < X, or they invite you to come out, definitely go visit.  Not saying you should advertise “old age” in conversation unprompted, but your birthdate has to be somewhere in the packet, right? I don’t know how a board interviewed you with zero clue on your age.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MeekTiger0824 said:

...old people words...

So, very much what @brabus said. If they advertise a limit, it might not be worth your efforts to head out, as time is not your friend and you should focus your energy where it'll have the greatest effect...with squadrons that will be fine with Centrum Silver. 

Secondly, in regards to your interview and the jaws dropping about your age, best course of action is to EXPECT that and practice your response to why your age is an ASSET, not a hinderance. You certainly don't want to hide your age, but there should also be quite a few examples and supporting lines for how your greater life experiences through time on the planet will help you overcome obstacles, interact with others, etc. It's not a bug; it's a feature. 

Third, being old usually comes with extra entanglements that young folks don't have. You might have a sig other/kiddos that add to the expense or just general struggles with PCS-ing between schools, spending time studying, staying focused if they don't enjoy life/can't find employment in the middle of nowhere UPT bases are located, etc. You may be single and have no attachments, but you'll also have probably made more money/accumulated more expenses that can be tough to swing on a 2Lt salary; you wouldn't be the first to be "shocked" at how little military pay is. You may also not be as keen about getting berated at OTS or at UPT after a shitty sortie. It's not the easiest for many folks to swallow getting crushed by someone that may be 6-9 years your junior that never lived life outside of the military. The elderly are less keen to play the game and just shut up and color.   

Lastly, realize that a main reason many do not want to process a waiver is that it's extra work that they don't have to do if they go with a younger candidate. It's a lot of paperwork, explanations, and risk that, if you bomb out, the hiring board/squadron could be beat over the head with. "See, we did all that work and they failed out or quit." At the very least, it's a lot of paperwork to push a waiver (called an ETP), so you can certainly help your cause by figuring out what that paperwork is and promising the squadron you will do everything in your power to help complete it and push it along. Most people don't want extra work, so if you can show you're willing to minimize the extra work required to push an age waiver, then you'll help them feel a lot better about considering someone requiring one. 

Good luck!

• Like 1