Upcoming Boards

6 hours ago, UrMomsFav20x102mmRound said:

From the 115FW’s website:

“NOTE: This board will be for CURRENT active military members ONLY.”

(Edit: Reading it over again, maybe “active” in this context ≠ active duty. Definitely worth emailing the POC for clarification and maybe reporting back here. I wouldn’t be eligible to apply however that restriction is interpreted, so I’m not going to bug the POC with an email from a non-applicant.)

https://www.115fw.ang.af.mil/About/Careers/Pilot-Training/

POC is 176fs.upt@gmail.com and I’m sure you’d get a straight answer there.

My unsolicited $0.02 below:

I agree that it does seem like a strange restriction. It sounds like it would preclude 115th FW enlisted/non-rated commissioned traditional Guard members from applying, who are often the main beneficiaries of UPT board restrictions. For example, I think the 104th FW in Mass restricted their last UPT board to members of their wing, which is easier for me understand the rationale behind.

But if it really is only open to current active duty servicemembers of any branch like it seems to be, that could be an awesome opportunity for some applicants. As someone who began applying while still on active duty, I was aware that even though my enlisted experience was (in my own subjective opinion) “impressive,” it would have to be hard for board members to rack and stack me or other enlisted types in their mid-20s against, for instance, a civilian CFI in their early 20s with a more well-known alma mater and a STEM degree.

There are young CFIs and Ivy League STEM grads on active duty, of course. But not as many as there are on the civilian side. So this could definitely be a great board to stand out at, if you’re on active duty and have done some interesting things in your career.

I emailed a few days ago and no response so I called and asked them about the phrasing and recruiting poc for them said they had no idea.

edit* it’s open to any military. Just not to civilians.  

Edited by Avi8

On 7/8/2022 at 1:29 PM, GreenArc said:

Just a head's up: It looks like the 175th FS will be having the Zoom interviews be via video submission instead, with a few prescribed prompts/questions for us to answer; we should find out on July 15th if we've been selected for submission of said video.

Best of luck to all of you; hopefully we can all get some good news next week!

EDIT: Fighter SQUADRON, not Fighting WING, my sincerest apologies for any confusion there guys, and edited to correct!

First time poster,

Has anyone heard from the 175th FS if they got selected to send them a video yet? 

6 minutes ago, USMC_AD224 said:

First time poster,

Has anyone heard from the 175th FS if they got selected to send them a video yet? 

I have not either, so assuming means no as well.

on another note, do y’all think it’s better to apply earlier than the last couple weeks of an application period for these squadrons? Usually I wait for the last week or two to make sure I have the most updated flight hours in my package but thinking maybe being earlier would help

9 hours ago, BL_224 said:

Did they give a reason why it’s restricted to current military members? Are they trying to limit applicants?

the 115th FW didn't give me a reason. I'm an army aviator so I didn't ask. 

On 7/15/2022 at 5:00 PM, red said:

I have not either, so assuming means no as well.

on another note, do y’all think it’s better to apply earlier than the last couple weeks of an application period for these squadrons? Usually I wait for the last week or two to make sure I have the most updated flight hours in my package but thinking maybe being earlier would help

Update: got the video interview invite today

Edited by red

The 169FW/157FS sent out TBNT emails today. Good luck to those selected. They had 200 applicants. 

Ever feel like you shouldn't read emails on your birthday? 😂😭

Time to seriously consider whether or not Wisconsin is worth it.

Edited by foxen

11 minutes ago, foxen said:

The 169FW/157FS sent out TBNT emails today. Good luck to those selected. They had 200 applicants. 

100% worth it bro. All it takes is one, and you never know just who might think you're exactly what they need.

Never stop improving, never stop applying. Stay at it, and it will work out man!

5 hours ago, foxen said:

I also got TBNT, I honestly was surprised they got back in less than a week given how many applications they got. Most squadrons get back to you in like a month, so I assume they had some quick filters or had a few people in mind already so don't take it personally.

Every squadron wants something different.  I've rushed squadrons where they ended up choosing somebody with 20 flight hours over somebody with a CFI and 500 hours. I talked to an F-16 guard pilot who applied and rushed for 4 years before he was selected as a finalist. You just have to keep applying and be persistent till the last ominous no. This will likely be my last year due to age but I'll keep applying till I no longer qualify.

Go grab a drink and enjoy your birthday!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, foxen said:

I totally know how you feel!! However Wisconsin out of all the units I think it would be absolutely worth applying to since the applicant pool will be significantly smaller. I myself am unable to apply but definitely would be if I was in the military. 

20 hours ago, foxen said:

Why would Wisconsin not be worth it? Never been there personally, honest question!

On 7/21/2022 at 8:09 PM, MeekTiger0824 said:

I also got TBNT, I honestly was surprised they got back in less than a week given how many applications they got. Most squadrons get back to you in like a month, so I assume they had some quick filters or had a few people in mind already so don't take it personally.

Every squadron wants something different.  I've rushed squadrons where they ended up choosing somebody with 20 flight hours over somebody with a CFI and 500 hours. I talked to an F-16 guard pilot who applied and rushed for 4 years before he was selected as a finalist. You just have to keep applying and be persistent till the last ominous no. This will likely be my last year due to age but I'll keep applying till I no longer qualify.

Go grab a drink and enjoy your birthday!

On 7/21/2022 at 9:39 PM, Checksix said:

I totally know how you feel!! However Wisconsin out of all the units I think it would be absolutely worth applying to since the applicant pool will be significantly smaller. I myself am unable to apply but definitely would be if I was in the military. 

11 hours ago, red said:

Why would Wisconsin not be worth it? Never been there personally, honest question!

On 7/21/2022 at 3:01 PM, GreenArc said:

100% worth it bro. All it takes is one, and you never know just who might think you're exactly what they need.

Never stop improving, never stop applying. Stay at it, and it will work out man!

So let me just say (this is my second post) I really appreciate the camaraderie and support from y'all. This was my first packet I put in. I've been waiting for my initial commitment to the army guard to get closer before starting. FWIW I will say I'm really proud of how far I went in a month from not looking into it at all before June 13 to cramming and getting a P 81 and pcsm 51 (0 flight experience). Not saying those scores are phenomenal but given a shirt time frame I'm content with what I was able to accomplish. 

@MeekTiger0824 I had spoken to the ops guy in the past (Rabbit) he said scores were the number one thing they would be evaluating and they would be using to weed out people.last year they had 167 apps. So it did go up..

@Checksix@red honestly, I wasn't considering it until I got the tbnt. Mostly bc I live in the SE and would prefer to stay in the SE. Never been to WI either(flying to drills wouldn't be the most feasible thing imo.).but I agree, no better shot than having a strictly mil board imo. So who knows maybe it'll play out in my favor. Anyone know someone from the 115 who would be willing to write a lor? :

Again thanks for the kind words, and also @MeekTiger0824I have had my fair share of drinks don't worry.

7 hours ago, WxNonner said:

Anyone get an invite for the 104th FS rush?

They went out last week. The POC noted that if anybody from the initial invite group can’t make it, they’d like to fill that spot with someone who wasn’t invited. So I think there’s still some hope for those still looking for an invite. 

36 minutes ago, Peachy said:

They went out last week. The POC noted that if anybody from the initial invite group can’t make it, they’d like to fill that spot with someone who wasn’t invited. So I think there’s still some hope for those still looking for an invite. 

Ah gotcha. Bummer for me then. Good luck to those who got the invite. 

On 7/23/2022 at 12:16 AM, foxen said:

I had spoken to the ops guy in the past (Rabbit) he said scores were the number one thing they would be evaluating and they would be using to weed out people.last year they had 167 apps. So it did go up..

Man, those invites must had had super high scores or there were other factors, I thought my scores were competitive Pilot 99 and PCSM 96 and still got a TBNT, but my undergrad GPA was a 3.2. I feel you, I live in the SE too, a few hours from the 157th FS.  It's a huge sacrifice to uproot your life to move closer to base, but it just depends on how bad you want it.  It doesn't hurt to apply every where you can, you could get invited to rush and meet some really cool people that might sway your hesitation.

• Upvote 1