Upcoming Boards

16 hours ago, Terminator5 said:

Yeah that's exactly along the lines of what I was thinking. @ryleypavDo you have confirmed OTS/UPT dates now prior to your FC1?

Ha. No. I dont have anything. My selection package is up at NGB. Should be approved by now, but havent gotten that fancy letter from them. 

19 hours ago, Terminator5 said:

Not sure if NGB and the reserve board works the same. But once my package gets approved by NGB is that when they issue OTS dates? If that is the case then my recruiter is sending my package to NGB now and that is prior to me getting my FC1 so it is definitely possible. However, I can see it being the other way around as well with them not wanting to issue OTS/UPT dates to someone who may not even be eligible considering their FC1 has not been done/stamped approved yet.

NGB and the reserves probably do things different I'd imagine. Your package gets approved by NGB, you'll get a letter stating so, then you get to wait some more for OTS dates. You basically get put in the queue to receive them once your package is approved. Typically guard guys dont get UPT dates until part way through OTS.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Yeeyee said:

It would make sense for your FC1 to have to be completed in order to submit for the NGB/ Reserve Board, because what if you DQ for something during your FC1?

Like Fox said, they'll give you the slot, but its basically pending an approved FC1. Don't get one approved, lose the slot. That's why they ask if you want short-fall dates, so you can take someone's spot when that happens.

2 hours ago, ryleypav said:

Ha. No. I dont have anything. My selection package is up at NGB. Should be approved by now, but havent gotten that fancy letter from them. 

NGB and the reserves probably do things different I'd imagine. Your package gets approved by NGB, you'll get a letter stating so, then you get to wait some more for OTS dates. You basically get put in the queue to receive them once your package is approved. Typically guard guys dont get UPT dates until part way through OTS.

Haha right there with you man, hurry up and wait. Ty for info though, that cleared up a few things for me.

On 2/24/2021 at 8:46 AM, Flyman said:

Got sponsored by a reserve squadron, now just have to meet the AFRC board. Anyone know the exact date of the next one?

April, packet due by March 31st. Contact your recruiter if you're eligible for it. You'll need your FC1 stamped. 

Quick rant,

Any of you off the street or out of towners find it annoying to take time sending applications, spend money to rush and attend boards, only to hear through the grapevine afterwards they went with the local kid from afe or crew chief. Like if that was your pick the whole time why even have a board besides for formality, save me the time and money. Either have a board with only members from your unit or quit putting so much damn emphasis on people just because they’re already in the unit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dangerzone said:

Quick rant,

Any of you off the street or out of towners find it annoying to take time sending applications, spend money to rush and attend boards, only to hear through the grapevine afterwards they went with the local kid from afe or crew chief. Like if that was your pick the whole time why even have a board besides for formality, save me the time and money. Either have a board with only members from your unit or quit putting so much damn emphasis on people just because they’re already in the unit. 

Been told too my face by more than one squadron that “You interviewed really well and we really like you BUT the squadron has been burned by hiring people not from the area and then they leave so not this time, but we’d love to see you apply again”... it sucks but it’s just how it goes sometimes. Just keep pushing it can get very frustrating though.

10 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

Quick rant,

There's only so much you can control. Hardest one for me was when I interviewed somewhere one year, they said I was in the top third of interviewees, and the only reason I wasn't selected was because the guys who got selected interviewed the year prior. Fast forward one year...didn't even get an interview at the same place and my app was much stronger. I can't really explain that one, or why I get certain interviews some places and not others. I just look at it and say, it's probably a good thing you didn't get selected there because there is another squadron out there who actually wants you, what you can bring to the table, and would be a much better fit. The problem is that you don't find that out until after the interview and everything is already a sunk cost.

I agree, it stings to put the emotional, monetary, and time investment into each unit, but it stings more when you don't even get the chance to interview. I am an out-of-towner for every unit, so I would like to think that as long as you get an interview, each dude you are interviewing with has an equal chance, but I doubt that is usually true. Always an uphill battle, even more so recently.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

Quick rant,

Or they went with the local kid because he interviewed better. There may be some bias towards the local guy, but it comes down to how the unit likes you on that interview weekend. Yeah it sucks, but them's the breaks sometimes. I was passed over for local guys a few time, but then got it after sticking with it. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

Quick rant,

I was that crew chief, I can see that being incredibly frustrating, especially on your own dime. That being said, that's part of the process. It sucks, but from my point of view, I saw it as I was being interviewed for 4 years.  When It came time for the board, you know they contacted every supervisor I had and asked how is this dude? Any shot of a slot could've been shot down right there. Not saying kick sand by any means, but as many have said on this website, keep pushing and sharpen your package and interview skills up and I honestly believe they see that. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, elvis said:

I was that crew chief, I can see that being incredibly frustrating, especially on your own dime. That being said, that's part of the process. It sucks, but from my point of view, I saw it as I was being interviewed for 4 years.  When It came time for the board, you know they contacted every supervisor I had and asked how is this dude? Any shot of a slot could've been shot down right there. Not saying kick sand by any means, but as many have said on this website, keep pushing and sharpen your package and interview skills up and I honestly believe they see that. 

Congrats, not taking away from your hard work by any means and I'm sure you earned it my man. 

It just appears from the outside looking in that it was already a done deal, like this guy has hung around the bar and slapped hands with the pilots for 4 years we already know we want him and it would look bad if we went with an outsider. So just sucks going up neck and neck against other good dudes with the only difference being this guy is homegrown. I guess that's the nature of the game. 

1 hour ago, ryleypav said:

Or they went with the local kid because he interviewed better. There may be some bias towards the local guy, but it comes down to how the unit likes you on that interview weekend. Yeah it sucks, but them's the breaks sometimes. I was passed over for local guys a few time, but then got it after sticking with it. 

If that's the case I'll take it on the chin and move on, but I really don't think that's always the case. The whole local guy been here for a few years lets give him a nod and see how he interviews, should only matter up to the interview, beyond that it should only about who would we rather have around for 20 yrs or who do we trust can handle the mission and not fail UPT, etc... 

Would be interesting if a Gray Beard whose led a board or sat on a board could chime in and give their 0.02. 

If the scale is tipped in the favor of the local guy after an interview or if it's strictly business no good old boy politic games. 

Edited by Dangerzone

1 hour ago, Dangerzone said:

Congrats, not taking away from your hard work by any means and I'm sure you earned it my man. 

It just appears from the outside looking in that it was already a done deal, like this guy has hung around the bar and slapped hands with the pilots for 4 years we already know we want him and it would look bad if we went with an outsider. So just sucks going up neck and neck against other good dudes with the only difference being this guy is homegrown. I guess that's the nature of the game. 

If that's the case I'll take it on the chin and move on, but I really don't think that's always the case. The whole local guy been here for a few years lets give him a nod and see how he interviews, should only matter up to the interview, beyond that it should only about who would we rather have around for 20 yrs or who do we trust can handle the mission and not fail UPT, etc... 

Sounds like you think this individual doesn't fit the part on that last bit? Being the local probably does give a leg up getting the interview, but as you said, should be a level playing field once you get to the interview. I interviewed multiple times at the unit I ended up getting hired at, and plenty of local dudes got passed up each interview. Maybe that guy has been interviewing for the past few years and they finally gave him a shot. I'd refrain from making assumptions when you're on the interviewee side of the table. Just my $0.02.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

I think it's all unit driven. I interviewed with another crew chief from my unit who'd been there just as long, maybe even longer. He has tried the last 3 boards and still hasn't been picked up. At first I thought I had a leg up because they knew me and all that stuff, but really I think it all came down to the interview. They've hired 1 person in house in the last 6 that have been picked, but it's a different commander now as well. 

Units differ. At least for us, local guys get an interview regardless of package (that’s the one perk they get). Off the street guys’ apps and face time get them the interview. Now everyone is at the interview as equals - interview performance is what gets the job. Our local guys performed extremely well at last year’s board, so we hired 3 of them. We’ve also passed on many local guys over the years, including some who have tried multiple times. While this doesn’t apply to every unit, there is not some secret huge leg up for the local guy.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, admdelta said:

Has the deadline for them passed? Would love the deets if the application period is still open. 

Deadline was 26 Feb 😕

19 minutes ago, SpaceCowboy91 said:

Yes I have, said will be in touch soon!  Good luck.

I also submitted an app...tracking via FedEx said it was received but I haven't emailed/called asking about it yet. I'd imagine since it was a hardcopy submission they may not confirm receipt unless asked?

2 hours ago, SpaceCowboy91 said:

Yes I have, said will be in touch soon!  Good luck.

1 hour ago, Av8 said:

Deadline was 26 Feb 😕

I also submitted an app...tracking via FedEx said it was received but I haven't emailed/called asking about it yet. I'd imagine since it was a hardcopy submission they may not confirm receipt unless asked?

Hm okay. I might call later this week to make sure they received it. Thanks ya'll! Good luck

Anyone in the know regarding Tulsa Vipers? Their 2020 board was cancelled but I heard through the grapevine that they are just planning to re-invite those selected to interview last year rather than having a new board altogether.

11 minutes ago, NABO said:

Anyone in the know regarding Tulsa Vipers? Their 2020 board was cancelled but I heard through the grapevine that they are just planning to re-invite those selected to interview last year rather than having a new board altogether.

About a month ago I saw their Facebook post for the monthly newsletter. In the bottom left corner it talked about a board deadline of March 1st but only for members within the wing. I called the squadron to ask and they did confirm it’s only for 138th wing members or those who applied during the last board. They didn’t specifically say you had to already be selected for an interview though. At least I don’t recall him saying that. However if you didn’t apply for the last board (myself included) it seems like we are out of luck for this round unfortunately. Hope this helps! 

• Upvote 1