Upcoming Boards

So the B-1 guys called me twice just figuring out who I was and they seemed pretty interested in me. I had two good conversations over the phone then was told they would send out email invites Friday evening. I never got any email notification from them (invite or rejection) so I was kind of unsure. I called back today but no answer and sent an email but no answer. Should I call again? What do you guys think?

17 minutes ago, pilotcrum said:

So the B-1 guys called me twice just figuring out who I was and they seemed pretty interested in me. I had two good conversations over the phone then was told they would send out email invites Friday evening. I never got any email notification from them (invite or rejection) so I was kind of unsure. I called back today but no answer and sent an email but no answer. Should I call again? What do you guys think?

This coming Friday or last Friday? 

For those who have been wondering about the 112 FS in Toledo, I got in contact with the POC for this year's board. As of right now, the board is on hold. They will be deploying at some point and are making every effort to hold interviews before then.

• Like 2

I got my no thanks letter today from 104FS, moving on!

I want to get some feedback on something from you guys that have been fighting this fight for a while, especially current active duty.  I've got one year left on my service commitment and have been fully prepared to separate or go ANG to help me find a UPT spot.  Then I get slapped with a dream assignment to the UK for next year and now I've got a big decision to make.  On one hand I'm a pretty low hour student pilot so the extra time on AD will help me to build my hours enough that I should be much more competitive and COVID has kinda dried up a lot of the board opportunities of late.  On the other, I will be locked into another contract which eliminates me from being able to get a spot at all for at least 2 years.  Something that stood out to me on the 104FS email about anyone over 28 should be applying to anywhere they can.  I'll be 26 when I would PCS and 28-30 before I can even get a spot, so that makes me feel like I would actually be less competitive.  Anyone been through this dilemma?

48 minutes ago, Lisenbyjacob said:

I want to get some feedback on something from you guys that have been fighting this fight for a while, especially current active duty.  I've got one year left on my service commitment and have been fully prepared to separate or go ANG to help me find a UPT spot.  Then I get slapped with a dream assignment to the UK for next year and now I've got a big decision to make.  On one hand I'm a pretty low hour student pilot so the extra time on AD will help me to build my hours enough that I should be much more competitive and COVID has kinda dried up a lot of the board opportunities of late.  On the other, I will be locked into another contract which eliminates me from being able to get a spot at all for at least 2 years.  Something that stood out to me on the 104FS email about anyone over 28 should be applying to anywhere they can.  I'll be 26 when I would PCS and 28-30 before I can even get a spot, so that makes me feel like I would actually be less competitive.  Anyone been through this dilemma?

I'm not in your position, but I have been told "no" more times than I care to count on account of my age (I'm 30, going on 31). Honestly 28 is when it becomes crunch time, but it probably doesn't affect your competitiveness until you're 29 or 30. That said you never know if the Air Force might suddenly reverse the age limit again.

Edited by admdelta
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lisenbyjacob said:

I’m 30, current military, doctorate degree, and high scores, but my flight hours aren’t amazing. I think I’d trade my degree or scores for 4 years off my age based on the feedback I’d received. I know it’s vague but I hope that helps. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lisenbyjacob said:

I’m current AD enlisted stationed in England and I absolutely love it. I think it’ll just depend on where your priorities lie, if you’ve got an opportunity for a 2 year tour over here I would take it. If it’s 3 or 4 I’m not sure what I’d do. Obviously makes it tougher since there’s not really a way to rush units. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Broskees said:

Has anyone else heard from the 144th in CA? Got an email the other day asking about interview dates but haven’t heard anything else. 

Same boat here. The email said to expect an email within the next week if invited to interview so I'm guessing it's a no go for me.

4 minutes ago, Checksix said:

According to their website both the board and package deadline are suspended indefinitely. I know they had a posting for a while but then took it down. Did you guys hear otherwise?

The email I got said "Your application has been received prior to the April deadline and will be under review." so I guess the original deadline was still applicable.

13 hours ago, Lisenbyjacob said:

I understand the dilemma..active duty here too, but i've made the decision to go 100% for a fighter position instead of a PCS. I would say that you have a couple of options here:

1. PCA to give yourself some more time without incurring additional ADSC. If you want to fly I would apply to as many boards as possible and do whatever it takes to make it a reality, even the active duty board. 
2. If you want to go to the UK do that and keep applying for boards/making yourself more competitive. However, on the GA side I don't know much about flying in the UK, but rumor is that it is considerably more expensive and there are less days of VFR weather so your flying experience might be hampered. Also a large downside is the fact that you won't be able to visit units as frequently.
3. There's always the Palace Chase option that might keep you from being "locked in" for 2 years and if you think of the hiring timeline...it will likely take about a year on average to get through, so I wouldn't stop applying/visiting units.

Bottom line, think of where you want to see yourself in 5 years and set yourself up for that as best as possible. Hope this helps, I understand coming from AD can make it a bit tricky when the career progression values frequent PCSs on the officer side it makes it hard if you spend a year or two applying, especially coming up on your VML.

Edited by Av8
Grammar
  • Like 1

When a board wants an "official printout" of your AFOQT score where do you guys normally print that out from? I was able to print out my PCSM score from the PCSM site, however when I go onto the AFOQT test results site there really isn't an option to print it off. I was just thinking of taking a screenshot of the test results page?

24 minutes ago, Checksix said:

When a board wants an "official printout" of your AFOQT score where do you guys normally print that out from? I was able to print out my PCSM score from the PCSM site, however when I go onto the AFOQT test results site there really isn't an option to print it off. I was just thinking of taking a screenshot of the test results page?

I just screenshot. 

3 hours ago, Checksix said:

File -> Print -> Save as PDF

Edited by mb1685
  • Upvote 1

Thanks all you guys for the advice on the orders.  It became pretty clear after a few days of thinking on it that if I'm really committed to finding a slot then the right move is to decline them.  Plus 4 more years of my stupid Comm job is more than I can stand.  

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 2:00 PM, mb1685 said:

Same boat here. The email said to expect an email within the next week if invited to interview so I'm guessing it's a no go for me.

The 144th sent out a formal email today for those interviewing and gave us a call yesterday for any others wondering. Good luck everyone interviewing!

1 hour ago, H_G said:

To anyone who has experience/applied to Bomber Squadrons, is it safe to assume it is as competitive as Fighter Squadrons? Thanks. 

From my experience, so take with a grain of salt, yes. But at this point I would argue all units are competitive. 

• Thanks 1