Upcoming Boards

I know this isn’t the best channel for my question but in short I am currently Navy rotorary wing with an application into an ANG fighter squadron. G willing I get an interview I’m looking for information on who to talk to about syllabus requirements for someone like me that’s completed fixed wing primary (phase I & II) in the T-34. It would be nice to show up for an interview with a concrete answer on how much training I require. I will post a separate thread later with more information for those interested. 

On 4/28/2018 at 12:17 PM, Chancellor said:

I know this isn’t the best channel for my question but in short I am currently Navy rotorary wing with an application into an ANG fighter squadron. G willing I get an interview I’m looking for information on who to talk to about syllabus requirements for someone like me that’s completed fixed wing primary (phase I & II) in the T-34. It would be nice to show up for an interview with a concrete answer on how much training I require. I will post a separate thread later with more information for those interested. 

I’ve had a lot of rotor dudes show up with the same questions. Your packet would go to an ARB (aviation review board) to determine exactly how your cross service time is to be counted and how much credit you’d get for training. Don’t be surprised if they require you to do a lot more than you expected. We hired a Navy Hornet guy and he might have to go back to SERE in addition to the chamber and centerfuge. It’s ridiculous, but a lot of it has to do its the way the USAF tracks and documents things vs the Navy way. 

Bottom line, that wouldn’t keep your from getting hired if you are the right guy for the job. Let the unit figure it out if they decide to offer you a job. 

On 4/28/2018 at 1:17 PM, Chancellor said:

I know a marine AH-1Z guy who got hired by a reserve tanker unit and is going straight to Altus for KC-135 school...his only FW time is T6s back in the pilot training day almost a decade ago. They aren’t making him go to T1s, or any other fixed-wing course prior to Altus.

That said, I can’t imagine a fighter squadron (or those conducting the ARB, NGB, and/or AETC) could/would send a helo guy straight to IFF/B course without a robust (or full phase 3) T38 syllabus. While rushing fighter units, I met a couple guys in your boat and they never got a clear answer from units or NGB for that scenario. Answers they got ranged from having to do all of UPT like us army dudes, to just phase 3 T38s/IFF b course, to just IFF/B course. None I know ended up getting hired, so don’t know how it would have gone down. I would THINK on the fighter side that doing phase 3 T38s/IFF/B course would be the appropriate track, but I don’t know, so take that with a grain of salt. I just know on the heavy side, my bro didn’t have to do any FW phase 3 when crossing over. But that doesn’t make sense for single seat jets. Good luck...and if you find out something for sure please share. 

2 hours ago, EvilEagle said:

I’ve had a lot of rotor dudes show up with the same questions. Your packet would go to an ARB (aviation review board) to determine exactly how your cross service time is to be counted and how much credit you’d get for training. Don’t be surprised if they require you to do a lot more than you expected. We hired a Navy Hornet guy and he might have to go back to SERE in addition to the chamber and centerfuge. It’s ridiculous, but a lot of it has to do its the way the USAF tracks and documents things vs the Navy way. 

Bottom line, that wouldn’t keep your from getting hired if you are the right guy for the job. Let the unit figure it out if they decide to offer you a job. 

So much for the fighter pilot shortage LOL. When it comes to hiring in times of low retention, the 11F community truly knows how to fvck up a two car funeral.

1 hour ago, FlyArmy said:

I know a marine AH-1Z guy who got hired by a reserve tanker unit and is going straight to Altus for KC-135 school...his only FW time is T6s back in the pilot training day almost a decade ago. They aren’t making him go to T1s, or any other fixed-wing course prior to Altus.

That said, I can’t imagine a fighter squadron (or those conducting the ARB, NGB, and/or AETC) could/would send a helo guy straight to IFF/B course without a robust (or full phase 3) T38 syllabus. While rushing fighter units, I met a couple guys in your boat and they never got a clear answer from units or NGB for that scenario. Answers they got ranged from having to do all of UPT like us army dudes, to just phase 3 T38s/IFF b course, to just IFF/B course. None I know ended up getting hired, so don’t know how it would have gone down. I would THINK on the fighter side that doing phase 3 T38s/IFF/B course would be the appropriate track, but I don’t know, so take that with a grain of salt. I just know on the heavy side, my bro didn’t have to do any FW phase 3 when crossing over. But that doesn’t make sense for single seat jets. Good luck...and if you find out something for sure please share. 

To you sir and EvilEagle thank you. Phase three and on is what I would imagine is the proper course as well.

It’s disheartening to hear of other helo pilots not being picked up but hopefully I will prove to be an anomaly. I will keep you posted. 

53 minutes ago, Fakedicck said:

To the tune of our favorite Buckley applicant, has anyone heard of the results of the 120th interview board? All that commotion was confusing and was curious as to if the final decision has already been made. 

From what I know, the results have not come out yet. 

48 minutes ago, Snoopy_2_1 said:

I know the DCANG had Skype interviews this past weekend, does anyone know if the in person notifications have come out yet? Figured it might be a tight turn if interviews are planned for this upcoming weekend. 

Haven't heard anything from DC yet. I'm sure everyone is prepared to withdraw all the green from the unit rushing fund for airline tickets. Keep us updated if good news starts coming round!

9 minutes ago, BigRigButters1 said:

Haven't heard anything from DC yet. I'm sure everyone is prepared to withdraw all the green from the unit rushing fund for airline tickets. Keep us updated if good news starts coming round!

You are not kidding about that......Sounds good. Will keep all in the loop if anything is heard soon. Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ultimate Fighter Pilot said:

Anyone hear from Fresno yet? Also what was the deal with DC? They already selected all of the people they want to interview? 

As far as to DC, they had over the phone interviews this past weekend. I am not aware of in person interviews being released yet. I have also asked around, and others have not heard.

Do not know about Fresno. 

1 minute ago, Ultimate Fighter Pilot said:

So DC already has their candidates? No chance for interview if you didn't already get that Skype interview? 

Not at all. Don't give up any hope until the notifications come out. Hope for the best, assume the worst. That's what I have learned. Keep at 'em!

2 minutes ago, JustHangingOut said:

persistence pays

Good luck on your next round of tests man!  Knock it out and get hired to your dream job!

Agreed on this. 

knock doors down, break walls, stay persistent. You'll get there. We all will with time and hard work. 

Best to all. 

27 minutes ago, Ultimate Fighter Pilot said:

Interesting, I woulda thought they invited like 20 for skype interviews, then invite the best 10 to in person interviews? Why would they not invite a guy for a Skype interview then invite them to the in-person interview? All speculation at this point though 

You're right, I think that's their plan. This timeline is really tight so I wouldn't be surprised if someone couldn't make it (drill, family, etc.). I'm just saying, its possible. Keep the faith. It isn't over until it's over brother!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BobisBell said:

For sure, I was just pointing out usually heavy squadrons have lower PCSM's and AFOQT's. Also have heard of a lot of dudes get picked up in heavy squadrons without PPL's while a lot of fighters require it. Just an observation on the forum but nonetheless fighter or heavy both serve the country to the fullest extent. 

I’m sure this has been said before on here, but I believe the standards have always been high across the board for both the heavy and fighter communities.  The sheer number of applicants for the fighter squadrons means they have an incredibly competitive pool of applicants to choose from.  The guys who get their foot in the door for interviews will tend to have the highest scores and have at least a PPL because they have that many competitive applicants they can be more selective.  You can definitely be a good dude with no PPL or lower than average scores and still get an interview.  Depends on what the squadron is looking for and if you fit into their perception of an ideal UPT candidate.  The worst they can say is no, and the only way to guarantee rejection is to not apply out of fear.  Sorry to beat a dead horse dudes, but just wanted to reiterate in case someone out there is afraid to send out an app.

38 minutes ago, MIDN said:

Fresno interview invites went out last week?  Anyone hear back from DC yet?

Correct on Fresno, and as far as most know, DC has not announced. Anyone else feel free to chime in if you have heard different up to this point. 

8 minutes ago, Snoopy_2_1 said:

Correct on Fresno, and as far as most know, DC has not announced. Anyone else feel free to chime in if you have heard different up to this point. 

The announcements for Fresno were made today and names posted on their website.

http://www.144fw.ang.af.mil/Resources/Pilot-Boards/

... I'm not one of them

Edited by Sopwith Camel

47 minutes ago, Lets Get Down To Business said:

What are your scores? 

People might not be comfortable sharing their scores. As a rule of thumb, 90's across the board are good point to shoot for. If you're below that, it doesn't mean you shouldn't apply. If you have a higher scores than everyone rushing, it doesn't guarantee you an interview.