Return of Friday shirts / patches

Toro

Bean counters and bean counter managers...take note: Such a small small change away from queepdom and people are a little more excited about coming to work on Fridays again.

Amazing how the little things can improve morale...imagine if you got the big things right every once in a while....

Interestingly enough, squadron colored Friday shirts are authorized in both flight suit and ABU.

I made a brief mention of this in the beginning of the thread, but this is what I thought was interesting. I remember many years ago talking to a maintainer who had tried (along with his buds) to wear Friday shirts, and they were slammed by their superintendent because they weren't in regs. This almost strikes as something that nobody was against on principal, but simply because it didn't apply across the board. I have no issue with the REMFs (not referencing MX) wearing colored shirts, and if that's what it takes to get our shit back, then more power to them.

• Upvote 2

Bean counters and bean counter managers...take note: Such a small small change away from queepdom and people are a little more excited about coming to work on Fridays again.

Amazing how the little things can improve morale...imagine if you got the big things right every once in a while....

Keep the union strong. Don't cross the picket line for such a small concession.

• Upvote 2

Does that mean the LOC I got last year for wearing a moral patch can get shredded?

And yes, I am serious...

You should push for it. Get the ADC in on it and I'd use the fact that they went retroactively and removed charges for those that violated DADT after a new policy was issued making it "ok".

You should push for it. Get the ADC in on it and I'd use the fact that they went retroactively and removed charges for those that violated DADT after a new policy was issued making it "ok".

Of course only those in a protected class can get charges for breaking the rules retroactively removed, not those of us that benefit from "white privilege" (DoD course material not my words).

If you want to get technical about it...if he got the LOC for intentionally not following an AFI, why should the LOC suddenly become null and void just because the uniform policy changed? And if he was repeatedly told to remove it, and did not, it means he was being insubordinate. As much as I hate a lot of the regs, it's still the military.

And for the record--I thought the original uniform changes 2-3 years ago were total BS, and I would have a hard time agreeing with a supervisor/CC giving out an LOC for a morale tab unless it was blatantly obvious that he was being insubordinate. Sorry, I have to play devli's advocate sometimes!

Stoleit--we need the story here! And hopefully it involves naked chicks while being TDY.

ETA: Just saw Stoleit's pic after I submitted my post. Still potentially a story about naked chicks while TDY??

Edited by HeloDude

Warning - Boring non-eventful story ahead:

Nope, I was trying to be a good LT and head up a base event. Long story short, I forgot to take it off when I had a meeting with the AD WG/CC. My SQ/CC was waiting for me when I got back from the meeting with a nasty email from the WG/CC in hand. I got chewed out and the LOC.

I use it as a valuable reminder though of the difference between AD and ANG (I'm AD in TFI). My ILANG bro's would be constantly trying to steal it from me and their WG/CC has asked me a couple of times if I could order them for his entire SQ.

I'm over it, but I use it as a warning to all the FNG's that you can get highlighted negatively for the dumbest shit.

Anywho, now that the reg has changed I'll see if I can redeem myself and head up morale shirts and patches for the SQ!

• Upvote 1

CSAF just empowered Wing Commanders to use judgement in situations that are usually standardized at HAF, MAJCOM or NAF levels. I respect him for empowering subordinate commanders, but I suspect we will see a wide variety of "fun" approved for wear on our uniforms.

What advice would you give Wing Commanders on approving morale patches? Should there be reasonable limits on what we allow on our uniforms? Should it be acceptable to allow patches with sports teams, KCCO, Infidel, Honey Badger, sexual innuendos, playboy silhouette, etc? Who should decide what is acceptable or not and how should they enforce the standard?

illinois.jpg

Not really in bad taste IMO.

I agree. My guess is your LOC did not go into a UIF or your OPR, making it a counseling tool and nothing more. No need to shred it because nobody will ever read it.

First: Awesome!

Second: This gets us closer to what we used to have. We didn't just win the lottery. Imagine if your wife who used to be faithful, cheated on you for a few years, then decided she was going to be faithful again. Do you have an amazing marriage now?

Third: This won't stop REMFing from those that can't do their job. There are a lot of bad regs out there for them to enforce or conspicuously comply with.

Fourth: Regarding Liquid's post about wing commanders; wing commanders should lead. If the mission of your wing is to kill people then it might be okay to have patches celebrating that. If they don't know how to lead then maybe they shouldn't be wing commanders.

• Upvote 2

What advice would you give Wing Commanders on approving morale patches? Should there be reasonable limits on what we allow on our uniforms? Should it be acceptable to allow patches with sports teams, KCCO, Infidel, Honey Badger, sexual innuendos, playboy silhouette, etc? Who should decide what is acceptable or not and how should they enforce the standard?

If troops in Flight Med get to wear sports jersey's during football season, then I don't see why we shouldn't get to wear tabs with a sports team name/logo. Though I'm sure those who root for the DC NFL team will get a call from MEO (just joking...or am I?).

As for who decides what is acceptable, it sounds like from the AFI that it is up to the Sq/CC...which means that anybody above the Sq/CC can tell him/her that it's not acceptable (since that's how it goes for everything else). And as for enforcing the standard, well of course you will be required to take a picture of the tab, make an eSSS and route the tab for approval to your Sq/CC, and then will have to keep the signed copy of the approval letter on your person at all times. I'm sure a new form will be developed specifically for the process.

• Upvote 1