Return of Friday shirts / patches

Toro

It's not about wearing the baseball cap in the aircraft, it's about why you think it's okay to wear the baseball cap in the aircraft. It's about why you take it off when someone is watching you.

It is not about following rules. It is about demonstration of judgment.

CSAF will release guidance to not consider AAD for Maj and Lt Col.

Historical note for the younger dudes who don't remember the last time this happened:

A whole bunch of Captains followed the CSAF's advice that they should focus on their jobs and families rather than getting a Masters....and then a couple years later, Jumper retired and and Mosley (the next CSAF) promptly reinstated the requirement to have a Masters for Lt Col (and unofficially did so for Major again).

Sometimes you have to be careful which CSAF vectors you choose to follow.

• Upvote 1

Bendy, do you have a link to that study?

Honestly I don't have a lot of time to dig this stuff up right now, but RAND has a large array of budget-sucking reports to peruse. Here is an example of one related to my point:

http://www.rand.org/pubs/technical_reports/TR759.html

Free time could be used semi-productively looking at the National Security stuff they've produced: http://www.rand.org/topics/national-security.html

There are many, many more recommendations the Air Force pays to get that it subsequently ignores. As it pertains to O-6's specifically (the link above), I'd have to do more research into any alterations that may have come of it.

Bendy

Re-Edit: Now that I relook at One1's posted document, that one was 1 of 5 documents I recall pertaining to leader development (AAD, billets, progression) leading to eventual skill pairing requirements (O-6 and GO)...although one of them, IIRC, was actually an Army sponsored study. It is possible that RAND was not the source of all of the documents, but I honestly think they were. I will point it out to you if I come across it...I'm sure I probably saved them, 3 laptops ago.

Edited by Bender

Historical note for the younger dudes who don't remember the last time this happened:

A whole bunch of Captains followed the CSAF's advice that they should focus on their jobs and families rather than getting a Masters....and then a couple years later, Jumper retired and and Mosley (the next CSAF) promptly reinstated the requirement to have a Masters for Lt Col (and unofficially did so for Major again).

Sometimes you have to be careful which CSAF vectors you choose to follow.

When people say just this, nothing will ever change! If everybody follows this guidance, no one will have AAD when they change it forcing the AF to either promote people without it, or promote no one! I agree, it's subject to change, but it's an attitude that says, "well, I'm going to do it anyway" that screws everyone else.

When people say just this, nothing will ever change! If everybody follows this guidance, no one will have AAD when they change it forcing the AF to either promote people without it, or promote no one! I agree, it's subject to change, but it's an attitude that says, "well, I'm going to do it anyway" that screws everyone else.

Which is why I advocate getting rid of the ability to pursue AAD at a certain rank.

What can/can't be seen on a SURF/DQHB can change in the blink of an eye.

• Upvote 3

Yep, there were a bunch of Captains who thought that in 2004, too.

As another reminder of what happened during the time that Hacker mentions...when the return to AADs started, it was not at the flip of a switch...there was about a year (or longer) between decision and implementation, IIRC. Although, there were some that got caught behind the 8-ball with little time to catch up. Either way, there has to be more to the effort than to just tell SR's to ignore AADs when considering strats and for promotion boards, etc. SURFs and other documentation need to be addressed so that the information is not available, like CK has pointed out.

Edited by Herk Driver

Shoe Flag: no-go. Not surprised.

Ha...of course..but I bet they're still using callsigns, having roll calls and a whole bunch of other crap they've unknowingly duplicated from the aviation community that they so despise.

Got an email that said, "Wait for further guidance."

No further guidance.

Wears POW/MIA morale patch anyway.

3c09d14adcdd6626599b630020298af374a0fd83

That's what we are getting, also it looks like all patches including pen tabs are going to be standardized.

ETA: On a positive note,I have seen a few people around base wearing Friday shirts, even thought there hasn't been any official word.

Edited by Fuzz