RIF vs Force Shaping?

Regular Dude

Hey all,

My wife and I are both military and according to the FY14 Force Management Program I fall in the "RIF Board" category but my wife falls in the "Force Shaping Board" category (based on our year groups).

Does anyone know what the difference is between being RIF'd vs being Force Shaped?

From what I understand, they are both equivalent to being laid off by the military, but there has to be a difference (if there are two separate categories).

Thanks in advance.

~Just a Regular Dude

Force shaped = no money

No money? I'm starting to wish I hadn't put all that stuff about my desire to be force shaped in my ADP.

I do think we would keep commissary and health benefits for 180 days though, which is great, but if I am working at wal mart, why would I drive all the way over to base to use the commissary.

I think it's so I can get cheaper condoms to use after the AF shows me the door and tells me to go f--- myself.

• Upvote 1

Also anyone who gets shaped or RIF'd and still owes on the military service obligation is required to go to the IRR until the 8 year total time in service is reached. Additionally, anyone who receives separation pay is required to go to the IRR for 3 years. And that is on top of the 8 (non-concurrent).

1Lt Doe gets force-shaped at 4 years total service. Required IRR time: 4 years.

Capt Obvious gets RIF'd at 6 years total service. Required IRR time: 5 years. (2 to get the MSO and 3 more for receiving sep pay)

Anyway, IRR gets base privileges, BX, commissary, etc.

Anyway, IRR gets base privileges, BX, commissary, etc.

Didn't know IRR gets these privileges...

IRR also lets your years of service clock keep ticking for pay purposes (in the event you ever find yourself back on the military payroll.) Doesn't count as TAFMS (for retirement purposes,) but does adjust your pay date.

The only way I know for an officer to get a good year in the IRR is to do PME (SOS, ACSC, AWC) in correspondence. After that, you better find a SELRES unit, IMA, or look into what the USAF calls the PIRR (which is really the SELRES). PIRR can do CAP-RAP or Academy/ROTC Admissions Liaison Officer and it's easy to get good years, although generally your only "pay" is points. PIRR meets the same promo board as SELRES. IRR meets a sham promo board in which 99.99% are passed over. Get passed over twice and you're out of the IRR and disqualified from further commissioned service.

Edited by Chida