China & Chinese Shenanigans

Marlboro BLACK

2 hours ago, FLEA said:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/11/politics/norad-additional-object-northern-canada/index.html

A third object shot down by NORAD. This one in Canadian airspace under Trudeau's orders. 

Chess pieces are starting to rapidly move on the boards. This is very interesting. 

31689F49-CA0A-41D5-AFE1-B48780C220DA.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Seems like we just discovered balloons are “always in the notch”.  Now that NORAD is turning off the filters, I think there are going to be a lot more scrambles to check out radar anomalies.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SuperWSO said:

Seems like we just discovered balloons are “always in the notch”.  Now that NORAD is turning off the filters, I think there are going to be a lot more scrambles to check out radar anomalies.

I'm going to be really disappointed and frustrated if this was it because we've had these discussions on everything from dirigibles to RPAs. Its like, this isn't knowledge we didn't have but there are a whole lot of group thinkers at the staff level that continually try to view air warfare in the context of GW1. 

Between balloons, commercial drone swarms, and other developments in the last decade I hope we are starting to think more outside the box.

I'm going to be really disappointed and frustrated if this was it because we've had these discussions on everything from dirigibles to RPAs. Its like, this isn't knowledge we didn't have but there are a whole lot of group thinkers at the staff level that continually try to view air warfare in the context of GW1. 
Between balloons, commercial drone swarms, and other developments in the last decade I hope we are starting to think more outside the box.

Between this stuff and what’s been going on with DCA over Iraq/Syria it’s become the air to air version of what we were doing spending multi hundred thousand dollar to kill a guy with a shovel.

Directed Energy can’t get here fast enough…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

On 2/11/2023 at 4:11 PM, FLEA said:

My experience on the Herk is everyone communicates a lot on the flight deck except the FE. Then when the FE opens his mouth almost everyone shuts up. Its always something like "heh.... thats interesting....." and suddenly both pilots and the nav are dead silent with their shoulder turned. I don't know if they train them like that or what but its like a ridiculous CRM tool. I could tune out a landing gear horn probably but I will never fucking tune out a Flight Engineer that says "heh.... thats interesting....."

That's funny. During my retirement ceremony a Load said that he could remember when things seemed to be going a little sideways and then there would be this voice that you didn't hear very often that would bring calm to the situation. That voice was mine. I hadn't thought of that during my career as an FE but after thinking about what he said I thought it was kinda cool.

On 2/11/2023 at 5:11 PM, FLEA said:

My experience on the Herk is everyone communicates a lot on the flight deck except the FE. Then when the FE opens his mouth almost everyone shuts up. Its always something like "heh.... thats interesting....." and suddenly both pilots and the nav are dead silent with their shoulder turned. I don't know if they train them like that or what but its like a ridiculous CRM tool. I could tune out a landing gear horn probably but I will never fucking tune out a Flight Engineer that says "heh.... thats interesting....."

Checks, I miss em' somedays, other days more, like during cascading ACAWS...

WillFmissed.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and Iran signed a deal restoring relations and opening the door to cooperation, perhaps even militarily.  The deal was brokered by CHINA.  The United States is failing, our position on the world stage is waning and our influence is decreasing by the day.

• Upvote 1

Will you still feel the same if the US is able to shepherd a peace deal between Saudi and Israel?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/09/us/politics/saudi-arabia-israel-united-states.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

I’m not necessarily for this deal (devil’s in the details), but IDK, the possibility being floated to me shows that our influence as a nation isn’t waning whatsoever.

China wants to compete, and they’re fairly the world co-number two with the EU, IMHO, but we’re still the top dawg. I also don’t see that changing given China’s slowing economy and disastrous demographic challenges ahead.

Edited by nsplayr

21 hours ago, nsplayr said:

Will you still feel the same if the US is able to shepherd a peace deal between Saudi and Israel?

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/03/09/us/politics/saudi-arabia-israel-united-states.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

I’m not necessarily for this deal (devil’s in the details), but IDK, the possibility being floated to me shows that our influence as a nation isn’t waning whatsoever.

China wants to compete, and they’re fairly the world co-number two with the EU, IMHO, but we’re still the top dawg. I also don’t see that changing given China’s slowing economy and disastrous demographic challenges ahead.

There’s a lot of optimism about demographics Re: blunting China’s rise. The blind spot there, however, is that their economy is not the same economy of the 90s or 2000s. Education and an emerging (established?) service and tech economy means that fewer people can make more money with less labor.

Hope of a natural decline is not a valid strategy; every time we fail to engage (as in Iran-Saudi or participation in international institutions), we should expect China to score easy points. Those international institutions are a BFD… let’s not forget that we set most of them up after winning WWII so we could pull the strings of global order.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Imagery obtained by CNN shows a large blimp developed by the Chinese military, spotted for the first time at a remote base in the desert of northwestern China.  The images, taken in November 2022 by US satellite imaging company BlackSky, indicating DoD likely knew and was tracking the entire time but decided to allow them to fly over out territory.

f_webp

f_webp

f_webp

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...