Study: Nuclear Force Feeling 'Burnout' from Work

M2

Given that these conflicting accounts concerning the state of the missile community can’t both be true, the Air Force stands to gain by determining which is accurate, then asking itself some tough questions about both commanders. One of them has a serious grip. He should probably be promoted a couple more times and placed in charge of analyzing and fixing whatever is determined to be wrong. The other is out of touch and should receive considerable development before commanding again, if at all. What the Air Force cannot tolerate going forward is for a morally courageous voice of caution to seem so isolated that it doesn’t garner deserved credibility, instead cast aside as idiosyncratic. This is a risk when too many commanders are hired on the basis of the ability to nod and repeat the word “yes” . . . and it is a concern across the entire institution, not merely in one troubled community.

Huge fucking 2

I have often posed the question why an Air Refueling Squadron always had to get a first time commander? I already knew the answer and I already knew that's just the next progression waypoint that TC points out in his article. Again, I will say that careerism is the AF's #1 problem. We care more about promoting people than we do about promoting the right people, at the right time.

• Upvote 1

I have often posed the question why an Air Refueling Squadron always had to get a first time commander? I already knew the answer and I already knew that's just the next progression waypoint that TC points out in his article. Again, I will say that careerism is the AF's #1 problem. We care more about promoting people than we do about promoting the right people, at the right time.
not sure what you mean as all sq/ccs are first time sq/ccs. No one is picking on the tankers.

Hagel looks at pay raises for missile officers.

Cheating on cert test, illegal drug possession/ring, failing NSI's, security breaches, etc, = very well played, indeed.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2014/01/16/hagel-looks-at-pay-raises-for-missile-officers.html?comp=700001075741&rank=1

Submariners get paid more because it sucks. Makes sense to me.

Tony Carr nailed it! He essentially took all of the gripes from BODN and eloquently posted it in a blog. It makes me happy that senior leaders such as Carr at least recognizes that the problems within the AF comes partly by the way we identify and grow "leaders" (as much as I hesitate to use the word). I hope key LEADERS in the Air Force are listening...the answers are right there.

WABoom, I agree with you 100% that careerism is the AF's #1 problem because just as Carr explained, it forces careerists to do things and say what they think their bosses want to see and hear instead of identifying the #2 thru 100 problems that actually exist and being blunt and honest enough to fix them..

Wash, rinse, repeat. Until we end that cycle, none of this will change. We need more people to actually care about the Air Force and the TEAM's success, and less about what they can do to make themselves look better. The catch-22 is if you don't take care of yourself in this "careerist" world, you end up non-continued and or RIFd...and so we keep breeding careerism for job security.

Edited by BitteEinBit

not sure what you mean as all sq/ccs are first time sq/ccs. No one is picking on the tankers

I am only talking about what I know. Tanker world. Just saying that sometimes we could use an experienced commander, not a rookie like we get every time. Again, I was only talking about the tanker world because that's the lane I am in.

I am only talking about what I know. Tanker world. Just saying that sometimes we could use an experienced commander, not a rookie like we get every time. Again, I was only talking about the tanker world because that's the lane I am in.

With very few exceptions, all Sq/CCs in the AF are first time Sq/CCs...that's how it works. Now if you are saying you wish your Grp/CC had Sq/CC experience or Wg/CC had Grp/CC experience, that's a different argument, however, almost all of them will have commanded at the lower levels.

Just speaking to the squadron level. I was reiterating TC's logic about how we promote people and the boxes they need to check, waypoints in his article, and how this cookie cutter approach is not always effective. I have been around a long time, I know how the AF works, doesn't mean that we can't address these issues and evolve. If things are not working, change them.

Edited by WABoom

What will be funny is when all the PHOENIX guys are pissed that the entirety of the KC-10 community will crossflow if they shitcan us.

The fact someone was qualified in two different MWS is only mildly interesting to Big Blue. The important part of PHOENIX REACH is that you met a competitive board and were selected. Just because you happened to move from one airframe to another does not put you on the same playing field as someone selected to crossflow via Phoenix Reach.

There is a fairly large divide between what makes sense from a resume standpoint, to what the Air Force thinks is important.

Just because you happened to move from one airframe to another does not put you on the same playing field as someone selected to crossflow via Phoenix Reach.

Phoenix Reach requires an application. All things being equal, if someone had just as competitive of a record, but chose not to apply for the Phoenix Reach program then cross flowed via other means, they would still have just as competitive of a record.

What evidence is there on the records of someone selected for this competitive board? Is it listed on an OSB or in an OPR bullet?

Bendy

Submariners get paid more because it sucks. Makes sense to me.

Well, there is that danger of not making that last surfacing thing. I am unaware of any such risk with ICBM duty. I surfaced successfully around 240 times from beneath North Dakota.

And the fact that it takes a couple of years and a mega-buttload of money to train a nuke submariner.

• Upvote 1

The fact someone was qualified in two different MWS is only mildly interesting to Big Blue. The important part of PHOENIX REACH is that you met a competitive board and were selected. Just because you happened to move from one airframe to another does not put you on the same playing field as someone selected to crossflow via Phoenix Reach.

There is a fairly large divide between what makes sense from a resume standpoint, to what the Air Force thinks is important.

Yes, however you also come out on both Eagle Lists for Sq/CC Command of the MDS's you've flown. Which one you rank higher on is the MDS that you'll command. My personal feelings are there's some great folks that get picked up to crossflow via a PHOENIX program, however a majority of the ones I seen were the Sq/OG/Wg Execs who didn't fly that much in their first MDS, only upgraded to IP/EP because of their PRF's, etc. Also what do you think they're going to do when they crossflow? Here's your Wing job, OSS ADO, whatever and wait around for school/staff. So by the time they're Sq/CC they marginally flew two MDS's, however now they're the boss making decisions for younger crew members on their flying careers.

Just because you turned left in a KC-135 doesn't mean you can do AR in the C-17, or land a KC-10 doesn't mean you can fly an assault in a C-130.

What will be funny is when all the PHOENIX guys are pissed that the entirety of the KC-10 community will crossflow if they shitcan us.

Straight into a -135 PTX class. Enjoy!

• Upvote 1