Can anyone give recent FC1/MFS Experience?

rotorguy

On 1/28/2019 at 1:06 PM, Insert name said:

Has anyone had an FC1 scheduled recently? It's been 3 weeks since I emailed the coordinator, I gave a follow up call last week, but haven't heard anything about scheduling a date yet. Did the shut down affect their operations?

FWIW I did not include my social on anything I emailed for obvious reasons - I said to call me and provided my number. But again, have not had contact.

I'm not sure exactly how you are getting yours done, but I scheduled one recently. However, I am Active Duty already and was able to schedule it through my local clinic. They were very busy though.

As far as the government shutdown. The DoD had been funded already and the shutdown did not affect us at all. So that shouldn't be the issue here. 

1 hour ago, Riddles said:

I'm not sure exactly how you are getting yours done, but I scheduled one recently. However, I am Active Duty already and was able to schedule it through my local clinic. They were very busy though.

As far as the government shutdown. The DoD had been funded already and the shutdown did not affect us at all. So that shouldn't be the issue here. 

Thanks for the info. I'm going through a Guard unit but currently in the Naval reserve, so I'm unsure if I have to wait for my conditional release before I can get medical dates or not and if there's anything I can do on either end to push things along.

On 1/28/2019 at 1:06 PM, Insert name said:

Has anyone had an FC1 scheduled recently? It's been 3 weeks since I emailed the coordinator, I gave a follow up call last week, but haven't heard anything about scheduling a date yet. Did the shut down affect their operations?

FWIW I did not include my social on anything I emailed for obvious reasons - I said to call me and provided my number. But again, have not had contact.

Who is the "coordinator" you've been in contact with?

• 2 months later...

Hey all, just trying to figure something out about what all I need to do before the MFS...conflicting info from a recruiter (seems to be the norm here). I filled out my DOD2807 when I went to MEPS and marked down a few things like getting tonsils removed, wisdom teeth, having contacts, etc. Do I fill out a new 2807 for the MFS? Or do they use the same one? And do the records that MEPS creates go to Wright Pat? Just trying to figure out if I need to get those records again (NBD since I was a dependent and Tricare's online records are great) or if MEPCOM even talks to the folks who do MFS. 

I had my recruiter tell me to not list anything but the above at MEPS, but since Wright Pat has Tricare records, am I screwed? Will they come after me for not disclosing the random sore throat I had at age 15 at MEPS? Or the time I had bronchitis and they put the words "chest tightness"? 

Flying is my dream, so I want to follow the right process and not screw it up. 

Thanks in advance. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/3/2019 at 5:37 PM, af_newman said:

Hey all, just trying to figure something out about what all I need to do before the MFS...conflicting info from a recruiter (seems to be the norm here). I filled out my DOD2807 when I went to MEPS and marked down a few things like getting tonsils removed, wisdom teeth, having contacts, etc. Do I fill out a new 2807 for the MFS? Or do they use the same one? And do the records that MEPS creates go to Wright Pat? Just trying to figure out if I need to get those records again (NBD since I was a dependent and Tricare's online records are great) or if MEPCOM even talks to the folks who do MFS. 

I had my recruiter tell me to not list anything but the above at MEPS, but since Wright Pat has Tricare records, am I screwed? Will they come after me for not disclosing the random sore throat I had at age 15 at MEPS? Or the time I had bronchitis and they put the words "chest tightness"? 

Flying is my dream, so I want to follow the right process and not screw it up. 

Thanks in advance. 

You're going to fill out a new DD2807 and send it in a week or so before you arrive. Just stay congruent is my advice. I believe the folks at WP will have access your Tricare and MEPS (ime in the reserves they had some stuff but not everything since I'd commissioned into another branch so I'm really not sure) but they're only going to pull the applicable ones. My suggestion is obviously to not outright hide anything, but some things aren't necessary to share and to be honest, they don't want to deal with more paperwork for something minor if they don't have to. If they have found something they're interested in then they will ask you about it during your med background interview while you're there. But they're not going to grill you over it and nothing you said seems disqualifying.

Don't overthink it. They want you to succeed.

On 5/7/2019 at 9:51 AM, Insert name said:

You're going to fill out a new DD2807 and send it in a week or so before you arrive. Just stay congruent is my advice. I believe the folks at WP will have access your Tricare and MEPS (ime in the reserves they had some stuff but not everything since I'd commissioned into another branch so I'm really not sure) but they're only going to pull the applicable ones. My suggestion is obviously to not outright hide anything, but some things aren't necessary to share and to be honest, they don't want to deal with more paperwork for something minor if they don't have to. If they have found something they're interested in then they will ask you about it during your med background interview while you're there. But they're not going to grill you over it and nothing you said seems disqualifying.

Don't overthink it. They want you to succeed.

Awesome. Thanks! I just know how sensitive the AF is about asthma these days and didn't want to fall in that hole. I had the classic recruiter "don't say yes to anything", but had to tell him they would notice if my tonsils were gone.........

I figure the only thing they're going to be concerned at all about is the times I had bronchitis and docs thought it might have been asthma. But, before age 13 and no formal diagnosis (thank god). 

Anyways, thanks for the reply. Appreciate it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished FC1 with a pass, didn't go as smoothly as I wanted but everything on this forum helped tremendously. Had to take about 4 extra color blind tests and 5 extra vision tests, but all went well in the end. The technicians and doctors were incredible. Can't stress enough that if you go in there with a good attitude, they will do literally everything to help you and get you a pass. The explanation on page 5 by JustHangingOut hits everything on the head. 

• 1 month later...

Just got back from an initial FC1A at Maxwell.  The queue for Wright-Patt was not moving, so we decided to try and schedule it with my sponsoring squadron.  Oddly enough, I just received my dates for Wright-Patt the day before I left for Bama. (scheduled 2 months out still).

Physical was the same as most have written.  Docs are all super helpful, and want you to pass unless it's something serious that could endanger yourself or your aircrew.

I was the only one there that morning for this particular battery.  Tests started at 0700 with the lab.  8 vials I believe, then pee in a cup.  After that, over for the chest x-ray, then back to the flight medicine desk.  They had some time before my optometry appointment, so the med guys did my visual acuity, CCT, depth, convergence test, etc.  Tech then took my blood pressure, height and weight, some measurements (back to knee, knee to foot, vertical reach) and ekg.  They ran it twice to make sure there were no artifacts left on the machine from the previous patient.

Optometry was great as well, except for the cyclo drops (you stay dilated for 24 hours-ish).  They did the remainder of the exams while dilated, and they went well.

Audiology was straight forward, just the same booth as MEPS.

By this point it was only 11, so they told me to grab lunch and come back at 1 to meet the doc.  Doc was great.  He went over the lab results that they had received back, listened to my lungs, pushed on my stomach, and the joyful hernia check.  One of the cool things about this doc, was that instead of just a stethoscope for the heart check, he brought in an ultrasound to check for any hypertrophy in the heart. After that, i was cleared to go!

No waivers were needed, so hopefully the certification process goes smooth.  My advice is to just relax of course, take the fasting seriously, and take your time on the tests.  Ask questions along the way if you want to be more comfortable.  Everyone was friendly and happy to help.

My only question, and I've found a few vague answers, but nothing concrete, is about the MFS.  Since I did the IFC at a different base, when do I go to Wright-Patt for the MFS?  I have an age waiver if that is relevant.  I've read that you can board without the MFS, and you just need to do it after OTS, and before IFS. Not sure if that is correct.  

Good luck to anyone who is scheduled soon.  If you're anything like me, it's been a long wait to get to this point, so sit back and enjoy.  You're almost there.

On 7/30/2019 at 8:55 AM, rudderrightmore said:

we didn't do that a few months ago, you must have been the special winner 

Some guys did it in June and some didn't. It seemed to depend on which flight doc you got. One was much more thorough than the others.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
On 8/1/2019 at 7:30 AM, N730 said:

Some guys did it in June and some didn't. It seemed to depend on which flight doc you got. One was much more thorough than the others.

can confirm. recently had my FCI and hernia check experience varied.

the staff at USAFSAM are just as accommodating and friendly as everyone said, they do great work and will try to help you as much as possible.

food recommendation: some of the best steaks in the country (literally) are at The Pine Club. classic, timeless cash-only steakhouse in Dayton. it's close to the university, maybe a 15-20 min drive from WPAFB, but a great steak and glass (bottle?) of wine to celebrate completing FCI await.

• 6 months later...

Hey bros,

Got FC1 coming up - curious to what the minimum passing requirements are for Depth Perception. From what I understand, the DP test is the exact same one from MEPS. 

I got 6/12 on the DP Test (Passed B) at MEPS. Is the minimum requirement to pass "D"? To be eligible for pilot. 

I do not have an eyesight problem, nor do I wear contacts/glasses. After MEPS, I went to an Optometrist and maxed out every DP test they had.

Any info would be awesome, thanks!

18 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

6/12 on the DP test would be a different test than the one used at FC I.  I actually don't know any DP test that uses 12.

B is the passing line for FC I now (used to be D).  The new standard is MUCH easier.

No way? When did they change the standard? Awesome info!

On 8/3/2020 at 3:56 PM, Burger said:

Hey bros,

Got FC1 coming up - curious to what the minimum passing requirements are for Depth Perception. From what I understand, the DP test is the exact same one from MEPS. 

I got 6/12 on the DP Test (Passed B) at MEPS. Is the minimum requirement to pass "D"? To be eligible for pilot. 

I do not have an eyesight problem, nor do I wear contacts/glasses. After MEPS, I went to an Optometrist and maxed out every DP test they had.

Any info would be awesome, thanks!

I failed it at MEPS when I enlisted and failed it at FC1, then they gave me some ben franklin looking bifocals and all the sudden it became very easy. So I just have to fly with glasses is all. The technicians are super helpful and they'll work with you. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about FCI. I have a bicuspid aortic valve with moderate leakage. It is waiverable for FCII in limited G aircraft so tankers and bombers. It is not waiverable for FCI. If you must have an FCI to go to UPT does that just mean I’m out of luck even though I would qualify for heavies?

• 1 month later...

Make sure you check in with your tech prior to going. We had a mix of info coming into the week. The COVID pre-arrival and group arrival instructions said that we would be doing blood draws the first morning, and to fast the day before, but our tech had us do blood draws the second morning of testing. Also, its not super clear where you do the blood draws. It just says 88th MDG Lab. For your situational awareness, that is located in the Wright Patt hospital, across the street-ish from the Wright Patt Inn. Also, with COVID hours, the lab doesnt open until 7, and all the paperwork tells you to be there at 630. So unless you feel like waiting around for a half hour, I dont suggest getting to the lab right at 630. Get some more sleep. And dont be afraid to ask the tech what other tests you have for the day. I ended up sitting around for about an hour and a half one day thinking I had one more test or something to do, and I could have left way earlier and spent more time at the museum or something. But as a whole, was not as stressful as I anticipated. The whole environment was really relaxed and as everyone says, the technicians there are on your side and are all friendly. Make sure to get a group message going with the people in your group and get dinner as a whole one night. We did that and it was great. You'll most likely run into some of those people at pilot training. 

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, ryleypav said:

How long did you have to wait to get your FC1 back stamped approved after the exam? I was told 3-4 weeks, but I've not gotten any answer back from my tech after several emails.

When I left several months ago I heard it was more like 4-6 weeks and that AETC was way behind (COVID?) so it could be even longer.

4 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

When I left several months ago I heard it was more like 4-6 weeks and that AETC was way behind (COVID?) so it could be even longer.

Kind of what I figured. My tech didn't really say anything I guess. The other lady that was handling the other half of the exams said 3-4 weeks. But, it would still be neat if she could respond to my email anyway. 

28 minutes ago, ryleypav said:

Kind of what I figured. My tech didn't really say anything I guess. The other lady that was handling the other half of the exams said 3-4 weeks. But, it would still be neat if she could respond to my email anyway. 

The techs really won't be able to give you a good timeline other than a WAG.  Once the physical leaves Wright-Patt and goes to AETC, everyone at Wright-Patt pretty much loses visibility.  Until it gets signed by AETC, it's just pending.  There are no interim updates.  They certainly can find out if it's been signed, but until then it's a big black hole for everyone.