Can anyone give recent FC1/MFS Experience?

rotorguy

37 minutes ago, umaerograd said:

The ejection seat limit for the T-6 is 245 lbs.....just to clarify for those keeping score.  

Thanks!  Yeah I asked the lady there if it was cool if I ate a big dinner and she said the limit is "like 240 or something", but I didn't get specific because I weighed in at 170.

7 minutes ago, iceman said:

Thanks!  Yeah I asked the lady there if it was cool if I ate a big dinner and she said the limit is "like 240 or something", but I didn't get specific because I weighed in at 170.

Hahah all good. I’m 6’4.5 and I’m close to the limit, so it’s a number I worked with when I went through flight training 7 years ago ha. 

• 5 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, gear3green said:

Wouldn't having the FC1 class approved better your chances of selection?

I don't think it's a consideration. They know that a certain percentage of selects are going to not end up going to OTS/UPT for medical or other reasons.

I'm not even sure they'll send you to get your FC1 until board selected, I'm a little hazy on it but for me the ball didn't start rolling until after. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sforron said:

I don't think it's a consideration. They know that a certain percentage of selects are going to not end up going to OTS/UPT for medical or other reasons.

I'm not even sure they'll send you to get your FC1 until board selected, I'm a little hazy on it but for me the ball didn't start rolling until after. 

Makes sense. Thanks bro. 

The e-mail for my FC1 appointment says I need to send them a copy of my military entrance physical within 5 days of receiving the notification. Has anyone else had to acquire their copy of their MEPS physical and e-mail it to Wright Patt? I am having a hard time getting a copy of it, haven't heard anything from my recruiter or my training manager.

8 hours ago, GDAL said:

The e-mail for my FC1 appointment says I need to send them a copy of my military entrance physical within 5 days of receiving the notification. Has anyone else had to acquire their copy of their MEPS physical and e-mail it to Wright Patt? I am having a hard time getting a copy of it, haven't heard anything from my recruiter or my training manager.

Yes...my recruiter is taking care of all my FC1 scheduling, so I never saw an email like yours, but he needed my MEPS physical for Wright Patt in order to get an FC1 scheduled. He got it from MEPS with no issue. 

On 12/6/2017 at 5:41 PM, FlyArmy said:

Yes...my recruiter is taking care of all my FC1 scheduling, so I never saw an email like yours, but he needed my MEPS physical for Wright Patt in order to get an FC1 scheduled. He got it from MEPS with no issue. 

I guess I'm doing all the legwork, but I finally got a hold of my recruiter and got my MEPS paperwork to send the USAFSAM. Thanks for the words!

• 2 months later...

MFS only accomplished (finally! feels like a huge accomplishment and weight off my shoulders) in Feb 2018.

Lodging in Wright Patt Inn is simple and it was taken care of for me, just follow the Google Maps to “Wright Patterson Inns” (yes, Inns)

I rented a car which was under $100 and made things extremely convenient.

“Building 840 parking lot” in google maps takes you exactly to the parking area shown in the screenshot earlier in this thread. Park, walk around the roundabout, and then go in building 840. The instructions said to go to W100, but for some reason I couldn’t find it so I went into W105 where the people inside took care of me. 

We did a red dot test and then my anthropometric measurements. Then completed the remainder of all the tests. Everything was very standard to me. Something I’ll point out that I noticed: if you wear glasses, be careful on the red dot test as your glasses and the way the person holds the device can give you a false picture; take your time and don’t be afraid to tell the person to adjust the device if it isn’t lined up properly. 

I had to wait 2 hours in W100 (which I finally found) for my Form 600, but now it’s FINALLY DONE!

Tips for while you’re here: Kings Table Bar & Grill has a Tuesday special of $2 burgers that are a good size. And the AF museum is definitely a given.

Edited by Sit On Acorns

35 minutes ago, Sit On Acorns said:

MFS only accomplished (finally! feels like a huge accomplishment and weight off my shoulders) in Feb 2018.

Lodging in Wright Patt Inn is simple and it was taken care of for me, just follow the Google Maps to “Wright Patterson Inns” (yes, Inns)

I rented a car which was under $100 and made things extremely convenient.

“Building 840 parking lot” in google maps takes you exactly to the parking area shown in the screenshot earlier in this thread. Park, walk around the roundabout, and then go in building 860. The instructions said to go to W100, but for some reason I couldn’t find it so I went into W105 where the people inside took care of me. 

We did a red dot test and then my anthropometric measurements. Then completed the remainder of all the tests. Everything was very standard to me. Something I’ll point out that I noticed: if you wear glasses, be careful on the red dot test as your glasses and the way the person holds the device can give you a false picture; take your time and don’t be afraid to tell the person to adjust the device if it isn’t lined up properly. 

I had to wait 2 hours in W100 (which I finally found) for my Form 600, but now it’s FINALLY DONE!

Tips for while you’re here: Kings Table Bar & Grill has a Tuesday special of $2 burgers that are a good size. And the AF museum is definitely a given.

To clarify, Sit On Acorns meant building 840, not 860.

• 2 months later...

I encourage you to read everyone post in this forum. I have recently completed my FC1 at WP AFB.

I landed in Dayton on Sunday afternoon. I rented a car( very very useful if you can afford it, my unit would only approve taxi fare reimbursement). I drove from Dayton International, about 25 mins to WP AFB area a to the Wright Patterson Inns. If you have a military Id, you will go thru gate and check in. If you’re guard or reserve they will ask you to pay it with a credit or debit card. I was booked from Monday thru Friday.

On Monday, i showed up to the USAFSAM building 840 at WP AFB area B. If you google “building 840 parking lot wright patterson it will take you close to the actual parking lot. Go ahead and park and enter the building on the north entrance. Immediately after you enter, there is a hallway. Make a right on hallway and go to room W100. ( that’s what was instructed). A technician then briefs you on what to expect and hands over a folder with your info. In the front of folder there is a list of tests. Every time a tech completes a test, they will initial it. Day one, they did an EKG( fasting required min 4 hours), checked my blood pressure, dental exam, some eye exams (amsler, red lens, pressure test, color, etc) they also took dental x-rays, optometry check up, hearing test, medical history interview. We went to lunch, then came back to a 4 hour psych assessment. There were like 5 sections but each came with a break in between.

Next day, I started at the area a hospital across from Wright Patterson inns reception. You must fast like 12 hours. They has us do a urine test, blood draw (9 biles). Then, they had us do a chest x-ray. Then back to area b building 840. There were additional eye tests, dilate pupils, more eye tests. They did the body measurements and weight. You get to sit in a chair without shoes or socks. It simulates the T6 seat. They measure your sitting height, arm length, leg length. Takes like 5 mins. Once you’re done, you get to see a flight doc who confirms with you whether any new stuff from MEPS to this exam. We were then told to hang in until next day by 9 am. The main tech called us to let us know we were good or if she needed us to retest. Luckily for me, i was able to be released same day and i took a flight home. Now just waiting till i hear from the NGB to get my TFOT Dates and hope for UPT info too.

Tip: Definitely make time to check the AF museum. Worth every second of your time. It’s free and they do close at 5 pm.

Another thing. Attitude is, in my opinion, the biggest thing to be conscious of. These technicians and doctors are there to hep you. Do not feel intimidated by them at all. These are people and love to talk. if you have a good attitude, and may assist you with completing the tests or give you an idea if you have an issue and whether is waiver able or not. Overall, we had one guy dq for some issue with his eye, but he will be able to get waiver and fly for the US air force. The optometrist was very frank with him and initiated all waiver info.  We also had an ROTC guy who thought couldn't go for manned aircraft due to his eye sight issues and was set for RPA.  However WP people told him his condition was waiverable and now will pursue a manned airframe spot instead of RPA. 

Also, for guard and reserve, they won't have any lunch purchased for you. You will either buy something on the cafeteria (Starbucks) on the second floor of building 840 at WPAFB area B.  This is one of the reasons it is good to have a car (rental) because you can go off site and pick up lunch. All in all a very good experience.

Good luck to you all.

• Upvote 5

• 1 month later...

So I am not really sure what to think at this point, my transition from civilian to AFR has been somewhat unique, as in no one I've talked to has gone through the process I have, and I am a little concerned. 

I initially started talking to my recruiter back in January 2017, he wouldn't even talk to me until I scheduled my AFOQT. I was able to schedule it through a local college AFROTC program, but had to take it in September. I did fairly well on the test and waited for the next step from my recruiter. He emailed me a 30+ page packet to fill out and by the time I filled it out it was November (come to find out it wasn't important and I didn't actually need to do it). Then in December I went to MEPS, got the full approval and passed everything and my packet (LORs, MEPS Results, AFOQT Scores, etc.) was sent to the selection board in January. 

At the end of January my recruiter informed me that I was selected for a Navigator (CSO) position as an Unsponsored candidate. The next step was to take the FC1A flight physical. For some reason my physical was scheduled at Sheppard AFB back in April. I took the physical and everything seemed to be in order until about 2 weeks later when the base called me and requested me to return and take dental X-Rays. I live 3 hours away so they said it would be okay to have my civilian dentist email a copy of my latest X-Rays over to them. After I sent those files over, a very wonderful and happy individual called me to inform me that as a civilian I should have no contact with the base and that all communications should be going through my recruiter, which she had contacted the week prior. When I contacted my recruiter he assured me that everything was in the hands of the SG AFRC, this was on May 1st. Couple weeks later I got an email with all kinds of documents to fill out, all this before the recent gain date of May 18th. My recruiter told me to disregard the email as it is a generic email sent to all candidates, and that we were still waiting on the SG to sign off on my physical. 

It has been a combined total of 50 days since my physical and I cannot get my recruiter to return emails, phone calls, texts, nothing. I even contacted my training unit to see if they knew anything and no one has responded to me. I know it is a matter of being patient but I need to know now where my path is going. I work for a large construction firm and my job is quite critical to the day to day operations and even my company is asking me for updates on my leave. 

So has anyone, does anyone know what is going on here? Can anyone shed some light on my situation or give me some advice on the current situation? I know I should sit back and be patient but with the non-responsiveness of all parties involved I am worried that something is wrong and they just don't have time to deal with me. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Here is your weekly Flight Physical update.  Below is the list in order of what I did for my physical and a short description of each test.  I will do my best to maintain the integrity of tests and not give any answers away, but also try to give as much detail as I can to help prep you all for your exams.

I stayed at the on base hotel (google maps wright-Patterson inns and it will take you right there) I was in Group 1 which consisted of a combination of civilians, Guard, Reserve, and ROTC folks.  (group 2 looked like all ROTC).  We all rallied in room 100 of building 840 (google maps USAFSAM and it will take you there)(parking guidance is in page 3 of this thread) like everyone else here has talked about.  Yes, there was a TV, VHS tapes, two DVDs, a barely functioning PS2 for videos, and a non-functioning VHS/DVD combo player.  If I would have known half the stuff didn't work...I may have just brought my own Blu-ray player and some seasons of game of thrones and hooked it up.  The staff are super laid back, and probably wouldn't have cared.  Enough of that...let's get into the meat and potatoes of this post

Day 1 Activities

1. EKG
    1. they put probes on your body and take readings.  nothing crazy.
  2. Medical History
    1. go into an office and go over your medical history.  This is typically the "shut your mouth" phase of a physical
  3. OVT (depth perception and near/far)
    1. I read through all the posts for tips and tricks on this.  I went all the way through groups A-F twice (with different patterns) and can confirm that the tips in this forum are accurate except the "no repeating theory."  If I remember correctly, I had one in each test with repeats.  So keep doing your eye exercises and you should be fine.  I practiced the Magic Eye 3D Books (checked them out from local library), and also practiced the "Brock String" eye exercise (really helpful youtube videos to explain the exercise)
  4. Red Lens test
    1. They will have these "glasses" that have two "frames" on them.  The guy will hold a light up in front of a "grid" on the wall with one hand.  With the other hand he positions one of the sets of frames in front of your eyes.  Each set has a red lens and the other is a clear.  One set of frames the clear lens at a different angle and makes you see double.  The instructor will move the light around the grid, while also switching "frames" that are in front of your eyes.  Your goal is to tell him if you see double, or you see a mix of the two.  I didn't get it at first (sounds stupid right), but as said before, the techs are awesome and help you out even when you're a dummy like me.
  5. Hearing
    1. you will be put in a glass case of emotion and listening for the most faint beeps and bloops ever.  Leave your cell phone outside...on airplane mode.  Hold your headphone cable and your remote cable from touching the wall.  You are in a sound proof box where it is easier to hear your own heart beat than these beeps they are testing you on.  I have heard of some guys wearing earplugs on the airplane flight over to keep their ears from compressing from the loud sound and pressure change....go for it...I cant confirm this to be effective as I drove to my appointment, but it sounds like a great idea to me.
  6. Vitals
    1. blood pressure and heart rate stuff...nothing crazy
  7. Eye Pressure/Measurement
    1. this is the..."look here!" and blast your eye with air test...and look into this bright thing so I can take picture of your eye ball!  Again, nothing crazy, just follow directions and you're good to go
  8. Dental
    1. Dentist looks at your grill.
  9. CCT (color blindness)
    1. so I was told the actual CCT was the old test and they now use something different (which I took). 
    2. You looked at a computer, the tech measured the distance you needed to sit away from it.  You wear a patch over one eye to test the open eye.  The light go out, they hand you a video game controller.  Your goal is to look at the image on the machine and tell what direction it is pointing.  The image you are looking at is a letter "C."  You push the appropriate button in the direction the letter opening is facing (up, down, right, left on the A/B/X/Y pad).  As you go through the test the image will get dimmer and dimmer.  Then it will start over in a different color.  you do red, green, blue.  Then, switch the patch onto the other eye and do it again.  This test is timed.  You get 4 seconds per iteration.
  10. Skynet Robot Eye Scanning Machine...
    1. I don't know what this is called but i'm pretty sure I have a serial number on my eyeballs now.
    2. you look into a machine...it looks like a red laser pointer being shot right into your eye.  then a green "star" appears with a dot in the middle.  Focus on the dot while they do their science experiments
  11. Lens Topography
    1. Again, bright lights in the eye balls while they do science.  This one makes you feel like you are in the movie clockwork orange, or tron.  They are measuring the curvature of your lens and the thickness.  I was told I had a thicker than normal lens...I got worried...he said it was cool...it's better to be over than under for that one.
  12. Psych Battery
    1. This is the 4 hour computer testing where you are answering all sorts of "do you hear voices in your head" kind of questions.  What I didn't read about this test from this thread before taking it was the other stuff that wasn't as silly.  There were lot of "mind games."  It was fun at times.  For example...we will show you a sequence of numbers...you must type that sequence of numbers back to us in reverse order...my trick...don't memorize the numbers...memorize the keyboard sequence....worked for me...okay right, right, up 2, left 1 down 1...
    2. Other things to help you prep for this...practice mental math.  This is timed, so practice techniques for adding/subtracting/dividing/multiplying numbers with 2,3,4 digits.  no scratch paper, pens, or calculators.
    3. short term memory stuff.  You will read a story...then do other tests...then answer questions about that story an hour later.
    4. I think the best thing you can do to prepare for this testing battery is downloading some mental exercise apps like lumosity, peak, or elevate.  These are little games, that are fun and sometimes similar to what you might see here.  like "click this button when you see a certain letter, or type of word.  sequences of shapes, blah blah blah"

Day 2 Activities

1. Labs
    1. Pee and Bleed...
    2. all you can do to prep is read the welcome letter instructions about staying hydrated before and throughout the testing.  I found myself not drinking nearly enough water on day 1...everyone thought we were going to pee and bleed that day and I was ready to go then...but group 2 went on day 1.  Dont fall behind on water intake and don't drink alcohol 72 hours before or during the physical days.
  2. X-Ray
    1. you stand against something...make a funny pose...they take pictures...sounds like a cruel joke right?
    2. I asked if I could have a copy of my x-ray (my dad's a chiropractor so I always share x-rays with him for fun), and all I had to do was ask the front desk for a release of information form and she gave me a CD with my images...pretty cool.  (i'll post them if I can)(also for fun)
  3. Flight Doc interview
    1. the flight doc goes over your records up to that point, asks some more questions, makes you touch yourself while he watches....touch your nose...(get your mind out of the gutter)...and balance on one foot.
    2. if you are going to go to IFS, he initiated a FAA class 3 physical for me since I didnt already have one.
  4. Height/Weight
    1. some guys in my group did this the first day.  they kind of fit it in wherever.  No big deal unless you are super huge or super small
  5. Optometry
    1. they will do another eye exam.  more looking at and reading charts, follow the light, look up, look down, look through this crazy machine...ok lets dilate those babies
    2. then you wait for your eyes to whack out like a crack head.  you have to wait an hour.
    3. I was seen at 1hr 20 min. and then more looking into super bright lights, and reading charts etc.
    4. Here I discovered I have a slight far sightedness...even though I don't require glasses.  The doc said, I may need a waiver, but he couldn't tell until after he dilated me.  Even if I did need it, he assured me that it wasn't a show stopper, they would just process the paperwork like it was no big deal.  After he gave my eyeballs a thorough look over...he said he was comfortable with my numbers and wouldn't need to push a waiver through.

As stated before...attitude is everything.  Enjoy your time there.  Don't make your techs hate their job that day because of you.  Help other people get through the process, carpool, see the museum (if you can even see after dilation), and be a good sport overall.  Another thing, don't worry about it as much as I did.  Prepare...but don't fret.  Go there, do the best you can at things you can prepare for, and understand that everyone there wants to see you succeed.  It is very evident when you are there that they are on your side.

I hope this helps everyone out.  I'm hoping to get the good news in a couple weeks along with my other partners in crime that I shared those halls with.

Thank you to @stuckindayton, @GDAL, and @FlyArmy for your input and the information you provided in this forum to help me and all the other hopefuls out there.

p.s.....sorry for the long post

Edited by JustHangingOut
  • Upvote 3