UPT/ENJJPT Start Dates

Cubic

All,

Looking at UPT base selection process near the end of October. Curious if anyone has any info/leads on the current status of each base's start dates and the possibility of them being delayed with sequestration. Also, considering applying for ENJJPT (decently competitive) and the possibility of a later start date than Columbus/Vance/Laughlin. Is it worth it to potentially wait a year for ENJJPT or is it better to go to standard UPT with an immediate start date? Thanks to all who reply, truly appreciate it.

8 classes a year at ENJJPT, typically one starts every 6 weeks.

If you do not want to fly a fighter, I wouldn't apply to ENJJPT, which sounds obvious. However, some people get here and halfway through decide they want heavies. Don't think the leadership likes that much but it worked out for the recent grad class.

Not sure on the timing. Heard all FY14 dates are full, so if you apply in October, you may be looking at a full year regardless of which base you go to.

Big picture, I say go to UPT if there is a choice between a wait and starting immediately.

I thought I had the option to go ENJJPT while I was in ROTC (#1/6, 3.8, 99 PCSM, SP) and applied, thinking I wanted to go fighters. When I found out I didn't get it, I was pissed. Apparently, my det/cc, who was new, saw my speeding ticket I got right before packets were put in and bumped me down to #2, even though I was #1 for the last 5 semesters straight. I ended up getting Vance, and I was nervous, primarily because I figured ENJJPT was my only ticket to a guaranteed 38. I spent weeks looking at selection rates, realizing that I was probably boned and would have to go tubes.

Honestly, though, phase 1 and 2 was not that hard. If you work hard and really want a 38, you will get one, I did with really no worry. At the same time, there were people in my class that were deadset on fighters at the beginning that by the end of phase 2 had them last on their track preference. Things change, and I saw that as a good thing for 4 or 5 of the 18 AD dudes in my class.

After you go 38's, you are, for assignment purposes, exactly equal to ENJJPT - they don't get preference for fighters, it's all the same drops. I ended up gettting my fighter in the end, as did 5 other dudes in my class.

Also, you have to consider that your competition at ENJJPT is going to have almost only those motivated super cadets/people with 690 hours of flight time/real type-A dudes. I don't know if I would have been able to do as well as I did if I had been pitted up against them. At Non-ENJJPT bases, you have a mixture of people and a mixture of goals, which I realize now was beneficial to me in a competitive environment.

Waiting for a year sucks ass. While you do get a guaranteed 38, I don't think it would be worth the extra competition with respect to assignments/delay.

Edited by uptstud1314
  • Downvote 4

To my knowledge ENJJPT is prob your best bet for leaving sooner. I know two bros commissioned in May, one EAD'd the day after he graduated. The other left about a month after he graduated both went ENJJPT. Everyone that I know who went to Vance or Laughlin was EAD within two months of graduation. Columbus however is a different story. I know one guy who left for CBM within 2 months of graduation, I am expected to EAD January, 7 months after graduation, there is a group of us all going to CBM on facebook, I would say 40-50 who have assorted dates from October to May.That being said, if you want ENJJPT, from my VERY VERY limited knowledge you will EAD similar time if you chose Vance or Laughlln. I would stay from CBM if you want a early EAD.

Disclaimer-I have no actual accurate info on how backed up each base is, just my knowledge of some bros who have all gone to UPT/ENJJPT within the last several months. Hope this helps.

Most of the guys from my class and all my friends that are pilots from my year group EAD'd within a week of commissioning. It's all luck of the draw, we were all at IFS within a month of commissioning and pilot training a couple weeks later. The only guy in my IFS class from ENJJPT had commissioned the previous December.

Bottom line it doesn't matter what base you pick, some of you will leave right away and others will wait a couple months.

To my knowledge ENJJPT is prob your best bet for leaving sooner. I know two bros commissioned in May, one EAD'd the day after he graduated. The other left about a month after he graduated both went ENJJPT. Everyone that I know who went to Vance or Laughlin was EAD within two months of graduation. Columbus however is a different story. I know one guy who left for CBM within 2 months of graduation, I am expected to EAD January, 7 months after graduation, there is a group of us all going to CBM on facebook, I would say 40-50 who have assorted dates from October to May.That being said, if you want ENJJPT, from my VERY VERY limited knowledge you will EAD similar time if you chose Vance or Laughlln. I would stay from CBM if you want a early EAD.

Disclaimer-I have no actual accurate info on how backed up each base is, just my knowledge of some bros who have all gone to UPT/ENJJPT within the last several months. Hope this helps.

Speak English or die.

This might be the most worthless post in this thread.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Anyone have any info or know where to find start dates for UPT/ENJJPT FY15? (Any base)

Not sure about ENJJPT because I haven't personally seen theirs, but welcome packets from the other UPT bases usually have the start, track select, and graduation dates for all classes during the fiscal year.

If you have bros at any of these bases, you can ask them to send you a copy. You can probably also call the Student Squadron and each base and ask if someone can send you a copy.

Cheers

---

PK...

• 3 weeks later...

Enjjpt is the best pilot training base there is. The foreign influence and independence makes it awesome. Great IPs, best city for fun. And you're not competing with classmates for your 38.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

• Downvote 1

Enjjpt is the best pilot training base there is. The foreign influence and independence makes it awesome. Great IPs, best city for fun. And you're not competing with classmates for your 38.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

............ and I assume you present this gracious ray of enlightenment because you've somehow had the distinct honor and privilege of being both a student AND an instructor at all four UPT bases?

• Upvote 1

............ and I assume you present this gracious ray of enlightenment because you've somehow had the distinct honor and privilege of being both a student AND an instructor at all four UPT bases?

Um, duh! ENJPPT is obviously better because only the top ROTC/AFA guys go there! Everyone knows valedictorians make the best pilots! Besides, everyone there gets a fighter, right?? They wouldn't do that if it wasn't the best base!

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

My RNLTD was 30 Nov and I start class mid February. The wait is longer than some of the other guys picked up on the last active duty board so YMMV but it gives you an idea of what to expect.

Which base are you headed to? Also, any info on typical RNLTD and class starts for new LTs out of ROTC?