Allergies/Allergy info

Guest JPritch

Guest Rage_:P

If you've been able to manage your allergies with over the counter medicines...I wouldn't mention it.

If you've been on desensitiization therapy...you've got an allergy problem and would be lying if you didn't mention it.

Hope that is a guide.

I'm getting married soon (before UPT) and my future wife is going to want pets...unfortunatly, as much as I love them, I'm a little allergic to cats (Not too bad, but being around them 24/7 prolly won't be good!). I was thinking about trying to get started on a nasal steroid before we get married. My dad uses them and they work great for him, so I figure it'd be the same for me. My question is that if I go to the doc now and ask for it, will it screw me over for UPT by either dqing me or pushing my start date back (late November right now)? Should I just wait until after UPT and tough it out at home (or tell her to wait until after UPT to get the pets?). If I do go to the doc now, is there anything particular I should know about talking to him about it?

Thanks =)

-Matt

• 2 months later...
Guest xtian2

I have a pretty mild issue, but similar to all of these. I have what I would describe as pretty mild allergies. I have never taken medicine for them, and never had to go to the doctor for them. Recently, I had the perfect storm hit. I was in Visalia (central CA, right in the middle of a bunch of ag), and had just been in a car accident (unharmed), so I was under a LOT of stress, the winds were really wild, it was april (pollens everywhere) and I got really bad allergies, but the week after I had "allergies" I was sick as a dog. I went to the doctor, and I had a sinus infection, earaches, fever, etc. I think it was a culmination of lack of sleep, accident, and the allergies just made it worse. The doctor prescribed me some medicine, I think antibiotics, for the cold, and he also offered to give me some nasal spray for the allergies, which had subsided after the first day. I gladly accepted, fearing that it might happen again. I haven't had any noticeable allergies since, with the occasional sneeze or two here and there.

Anyhoo, I think my allergies are pretty mild, only once can I recall that they stopped me from doing things, and that was compounded with a cold. I get sneezy sometimes, and if I play (not just sitting in the house with them) with cats, I can get itchy eyes and a runny nose, but it goes away after a while when I stop. Does it sound like I will have a problem with the Brooks physical? What about the fact that the doctor prescribed me nasal spray? I don't use it often, usually when I have a runny nose in the morning, and I want to fix it up, but even that runny nose will go away after a while.

Thanks,

0701 Pilot Select

FC1 Physical Completed and signed off

waiting on the class date...

Guest P27:17

xtian2,

Brooks is't going to dive into your allery issues (they should already been told to the medical folks during your FC I). Allergic rhinitis of any kind after the age of 12 is disqualifying...over 99% of those are waived! Gotta like the odds...

Guest xtian2
Brooks is't going to dive into your allery issues (they should already been told to the medical folks during your FC I). Allergic rhinitis of any kind after the age of 12 is disqualifying...over 99% of those are waived! Gotta like the odds...

So even if I have allergies, I can get a waiver? Or at least the chances of getting one are pretty high? Is that before or after UPT? Isnt it harder to get the waiver before?

So even if I have allergies, I can get a waiver? Or at least the chances of getting one are pretty high? Is that before or after UPT? Isnt it harder to get the waiver before?

Re-read the previous post. Allergies are disqualifying...that means no UPT...if you get a waiver for the disqualifying condition then that means you can go to UPT. So yes, if you have allergies, the waiver will have to happen before UPT.

I had a sinus infection. The doctor prescribed me some medicine, I think antibiotics, for the cold

FWIW, antibiotics don't do much for a cold, but would work wonders for a sinus infection.

• 3 months later...
Guest thumper2t

I am an AMC copilot and today i was spraying something called triazide on my yard. it is an insecticide that you hook to your hose and spray for fleas ticks ants etc. kills everything.....anyways about 15 minutes after i finished spraying it i noticed that i was breaking out in a rash but only where my tshirt was (back chest underarms sides etc...but not legs lower arms or anthing that wasnt covered be my tshirt/shorts. I ended up getting a shot in the butt and allegra and benadril from the civilian i saw (sunday) and have to have a follow up with the flight doc.

All that being said, Im scared shitless of being DQed or being DNIF for months or perm. I have never had anything medical happen and all i know is the horror stories about getting dnifed for silly sounding stuff.

Do you think the flight doc will just write it off as getting nasty stuff on me and rashing out...or is there a greater concern.

Don't worry about it - I had something very similar happen to me about five years ago when I was at Incirlik. I woke up and had a disgusting red rash all over my body that looked like hives. I went to the doc and he told me it was probably caused by an allergic reaction to something like laundry detergent in my sheets since it popped up overnight.

He gave me a shot of something, DNIF'd me for a day or so, and it went away no problem.

• 2 months later...
Guest tiger229

Hi,

My brother and sister have allergies, one of them is allergic to peanuts which is apparently a bad allergy to have. I've never had any symptoms or reactions, but I've also never been tested. I admit that I am reluctant to get tested in the absence of any symptoms, but I'm concerned maybe I do have allergies since apparently you don't always need to show symptoms for the blood test to show you are allergic.

If I don't get tested on my own in the civilian world, are there allergy tests done during the FC1? I'd rather not open up a potential can of worms by getting tested now especially since I don't have any problems. But I also don't want to pursue a UPT slot and then get screwed if they do test and I do have a positive test result for something. I'm not turning a blind eye, but like some of the other posts I've seen on this forum, why expose yourself to more stuff that could disqualify you if you don't have to. Ultimately I'd just like to know if they run standard blood/ skin tests for allergies at the FC1 exam or only if you have a clinical history of reactions etc.

Thanks, this place is a great source of information...

There are NO blood/skin tests for allergies on your IFC 1 (there is no "FC 1") physical exam.

Ultimately I'd just like to know if they run standard blood/ skin tests for allergies at the FC1 exam or only if you have a clinical history of reactions etc.

• 2 months later...
Guest kev110382

I haven't found anything specific to my problem but the OP's question was remotely similar to mine. Can someone in the know give guidance/advice?

I am prior enlisted AF. I'm planning on applying for a pilot slot for the first 09 pilot board.

So here's the potential problem. About 4 years ago shortly after PCSing to Travis, I started having mild allergy like symptoms. We're talking about a runny nose/ sneezing that lasted for a day or two and then gone. But..

The doc up at the base hospital prescribed me Flonase one time. Took it a few times, everything cleared up and stopped taking it. I've never taken even a Claritin since. The problems didn't last long and haven't had problems since then. I figured I got used to living out here. I've never had so much as a minor flareup since.

I was never technically diagnosed with allergies (by an allergist or otherwise). Just the one time a doc prescribed me Flonase "to see if helps" as he put it. I wouldn't even mention it if it wasn't in my military medical records. So should I expect a FC1 DQ? If so, could I have a chance for a waiver?

Edited by kev110382

I haven't found anything specific to my problem but the OP's question was remotely similar to mine. Can someone in the know give guidance/advice?

I am prior enlisted AF. I'm planning on applying for a pilot slot for the first 09 pilot board.

So here's the potential problem. About 4 years ago shortly after PCSing to Travis, I started having mild allergy like symptoms. We're talking about a runny nose/ sneezing that lasted for a day or two and then gone. But..

The doc up at the base hospital prescribed me Flonase one time. Took it a few times, everything cleared up and stopped taking it. I've never taken even a Claritin since. The problems didn't last long and haven't had problems since then. I figured I got used to living out here. I've never had so much as a minor flareup since.

I was never technically diagnosed with allergies (by an allergist or otherwise). Just the one time a doc prescribed me Flonase "to see if helps" as he put it. I wouldn't even mention it if it wasn't in my military medical records. So should I expect a FC1 DQ? If so, could I have a chance for a waiver?

If you've been given the diagnosis or have been treated for allergy symptoms after age 12 then you will likely be DQ. You will more than likely get a waiver (99% range)...the only reason I won't say "100%" is to leave a little wiggle room :thumbsup:

Edited by P27:17

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Unknown0100@gmail.com

Hello Everyone

I have occasional seasonal allergies that are mild, i have been prescribed zyrtec (now over the counter) for them and i take it if i have allergies, which is a rarity really now a days. I understand this is waiverable which is good news! :flag_waving:

A few years ago (when i was like 15ish), i started randomly breaking out in hives on my face every few days. Zyrtec took them away completely, but like an idiot (curiosity killed the cat), i went to an allergist to try to find the source of the hives. He did a scratch test thing and told me he had no idea. About a year later, i found out it was an additive in Ivory brand soap that i was washing my face with. I am completely hive free and have been for some time. This won't come back to haunt me will it? I have technically been to an allergist even though he had no idea what the problem was.

Now i have one more problem. When I was about 13ish, i started getting migraines. They were pretty bad (no aura, nausea, vomiting, or anything...they just hurt) and since I have a family history on my mothers side, i went to a doctor who sent me to some headache doctor. The doctor scanned my head (MRI) and neurotically speaking...i was fine. The doctor prescribed a preventative treatment which made me sick and I got off it soon afterwards. Eventually, i stopped getting migraines and i will be migraine free for about 4 years when i comes time to take my flying class I physical. Will this cause me to be DQ'ed even though i don't get migraines anymore at all? I think it was just a puberty thing.

I thank you for your time in helping me out,

Much Respect,

Mike

Hello Everyone

I have occasional seasonal allergies that are mild, i have been prescribed zyrtec (now over the counter) for them and i take it if i have allergies, which is a rarity really now a days. I understand this is waiverable which is good news! :flag_waving:

A few years ago (when i was like 15ish), i started randomly breaking out in hives on my face every few days. Zyrtec took them away completely, but like an idiot (curiosity killed the cat), i went to an allergist to try to find the source of the hives. He did a scratch test thing and told me he had no idea. About a year later, i found out it was an additive in Ivory brand soap that i was washing my face with. I am completely hive free and have been for some time. This won't come back to haunt me will it? I have technically been to an allergist even though he had no idea what the problem was.

Now i have one more problem. When I was about 13ish, i started getting migraines. They were pretty bad (no aura, nausea, vomiting, or anything...they just hurt) and since I have a family history on my mothers side, i went to a doctor who sent me to some headache doctor. The doctor scanned my head (MRI) and neurotically speaking...i was fine. The doctor prescribed a preventative treatment which made me sick and I got off it soon afterwards. Eventually, i stopped getting migraines and i will be migraine free for about 4 years when i comes time to take my flying class I physical. Will this cause me to be DQ'ed even though i don't get migraines anymore at all? I think it was just a puberty thing.

I thank you for your time in helping me out,

Much Respect,

Mike

If your hives can be explained (via the documentation from a doc) as an external exposure you should be fine. if you have chronic/unexplained urticaria (hives) then you have a problem.

If you haven't had a migraine since age 13 and haven't been on any treatment...you should be fine there also.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Miclhstrase

When I first saw this thread I freaked out a little bit. All this time I've been worried if my vision was good enough when the bigger problem may be my allergies. I understand they are largely waiverable but I thought I'd post my condition to see if I could qualify.

I've had allergies since I was young. I am allergic to dogs and cats, and live with a dog. I put up with the mild symptoms and just try and avoid making fur/face contact either indirectly or directly. The worst that ever happens is sneezing and itchy eyes. However, I also have seasonal allergies which affect my sinuses. For much of the year I am congested (only partially, one nostril always works fine). On rare occasions I get cold like symptoms where I become completely congested, but that only lasts about as long as a cold.

I have also been allergy tested back when I was 15 or 16. The results were basically that I was allergic to several bugs, dogs/cats, and a lot of local plants. I can't remember them all. I've never had severe symptoms. I have no problem doing physical activities outdoors. When I run I am fine, but after I stop and start to wind down, I sometimes sneeze for a bit. I've never had a problem with pressurization changes in airliners in regard to my allergies. Just those ears popping and cracking. The only horrible experience I've had was when I flew with a cold; god awful experience going through those pressure changes.

Are my symptoms waiverable or not? I've been prescribed medication loong ago, but I am not one of those people who pops pills, I prefer to live with the symptoms instead. I've never even considered my allergies as a medical DQ, I would be absolutely heartbroken if that's what brings me down.

On an aside:

Are the cabins of fighter aircraft constantly pressurized and depressurized during flight? If you're doing maneuvers between 5,000 and 15,000 feet, would the cockpit stay pressurized for 10,000 feet?

Are the cabins of fighter aircraft constantly pressurized and depressurized during flight? If you're doing maneuvers between 5,000 and 15,000 feet, would the cockpit stay pressurized for 10,000 feet?

I can't answer the allergy waiver question, but I can tell you that fighter aircraft are pressurized. In T-38s and F-15s it's outside pressure up to 8000MSL, then it maintains 8000MSL cabin pressure to 23K, then it increases in a percentage of your outside pressure above 230.

When I first saw this thread I freaked out a little bit....Are my symptoms waiverable or not? I've been prescribed medication loong ago, but I am not one of those people who pops pills, I prefer to live with the symptoms instead. I've never even considered my allergies as a medical DQ, I would be absolutely heartbroken if that's what brings me down.

As long as your allergies can be controlled you should receive a waiver.

• 2 months later...
Guest yurk b

Can i be an Air national guard pilot if i am allergic to sulfur drugs?

The other day I was taking the antibiotic drug called Bactrim. It caused me to have a bad reaction that almost made me go crazy. Can i still join the ANG with this allergy. I know they sometimes use sulfa drugs for nuclear biological chemical reasons. Other than that problem i am 100% healthy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Benko

Yes you can be a ANG pilot, or any pilot with an allergy to sulfa. The reason medical personel need to know your allergies to medication is so that you don't get a medication that has sulfa in it as well. Just tell everyone whoever asks you if you have ANY allergies just say yes, to sulfa meds, from now on.

Edited by Benko

• 2 months later...
Guest james h

I have allergies that I take allegra for. I have no problems when I take them. I've read some posts that mentioned allegra being ok. Does that mean I could try to get a flight spot with the allegra or I would be dq'd since I am not already in the af?

I have allergies that I take allegra for. I have no problems when I take them. I've read some posts that mentioned allegra being ok. Does that mean I could try to get a flight spot with the allegra or I would be dq'd since I am not already in the af?

You'll be fine...probably need a "rubber stamp" waiver but no big deal!

• 3 months later...

For those of you with seasonal allergies that you normally take claritin, allegra or flonase for, have you ever gotten them in the dessert? Obviuosly I am guessing it is seasonal and depends, if it all. I guess my question is if I am sneezing and have a leaky faucet now at home should I load up on the drugs and expect the same downrange?

Thanks,

barney

I've never had any problems with seasonal allergies in the desert... but in the states during the month of May I'm a complete train wreck. If you're that worried about it maybe you should see your Doc and get a steroid shot just prior to deploying.

I was in Iraq april and may, when the dust storms are seriously intense and constant...I got a sinus infection from the dust. I never had an "allergy" problem there (i do get allergies) but the sinus infection was pure evil. Took a month to kick. If you know what a netti pot is, use one.

• 2 months later...
Guest gatorpilot20

Hey all,

I couldn't find this one...I wrote on my MEPS form that I was allergic to penicillin. Dumb. It was only assumed by a doctor (when I was a child) that I could be allergic to penicillin due to a mild skin reaction I recieved while on the antibiotic. Is this a flying disqualifier? Thanks in advance