FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

Re: Bergman -

NO SHIT! Head for the hills fellas. There is no way I would set foot on active duty right now, not at the lowest, most expendable rung. Take the money and run, congrats on your free education.

Rule #2: Timing is everything.

Chuck

Agreed. I can't imagine what that would be like. Wake up one morning, and find out that you don't owe Uncle Sam those four years after all.

ROTC folks, take a long hard look at your options. It is kinda rough in the private sector right now, but damn if this isn't a great opportunity to walk away with a free education.

Hell, if you want to walk, but still want to keep one foot in the military game, go talk to your local ANG or AF reserve unit and see what they have to offer.

Hell, if you want to walk, but still want to keep one foot in the military game, go talk to your local ANG or AF reserve unit and see what they have to offer.

Better yet, move to a state that offers free college tuition to ANG members (i.e., NJ). Serve, earn a usable graduate or professional degree at little to no cost, maximize this opportunity.

Here's a start. These kids are not going to have to pay back their ROTC scholarships if released. Wow.

Yeah. Like I said in the other thread, everything old is new again. This same thing happened in '89/'90 when they needed to get rid of too many people being in ROTC back then.

This article is dated 26 Nov but it's now on front page of www.af.mil

http://www.af.mil/News/ArticleDisplay/tabid/223/Article/467608/af-implements-new-personnel-policies-as-it-prepares-to-get-smaller.aspx

AF implements new personnel policies as it prepares to get smaller

/ Published November 26, 2013

WASHINGTON (AFNS) --

The Air Force will implement new personnel policies to posture for future force management programs as it prepares to become smaller, officials announced today.

In the absence of Congressional direction to mitigate the impact of sequestration, the Air Force must proceed with changes to personnel policies and force management programs to meet reduced end-strength targets in a smaller budget, said Brig. Gen. Gina Grosso, director of force management policy.

During his testimony to the House Armed Services Committee in September, Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Mark A. Welsh III said the long-term impacts of sequestration could force the service to cut about 25,000 Airmen over the next several years.

According to Grosso, the exact number of personnel reductions is not known yet, but will be released in the President’s FY15 budget to Congress, which usually occurs in the February-April timeframe.

These reductions require adjustments in personnel policies and aggressive force management measures that will shape the future force today in accordance with today’s fiscal realities, she said. The other services also recently announced programs to target their force reductions that result from sequestration.

“To meet Department of Defense strategic guidance for a leaner force, we must begin moving toward the future force,” said Grosso. “As the Air Force becomes smaller, it is more important than ever to use all available force management tools.”

The Air Force plans to make changes to many personnel policies in anticipation of the reductions to include changes in Selective Reenlistment Bonus eligibility, enlisted retraining quotas, enlisted and officer promotion rates and some officer accession programs. Details on each of these programs will be released in the coming weeks.

Grosso also said she expects the Air Force to implement additional force management programs.

“Some force management programs we are considering are new and others we’ve used before,” Grosso said. “Once the details of the additional force management programs are finalized, we will announce the programs to allow Airmen time to consider the options and discuss those options with their families.”

It is important for supervisors at every level to make time to discuss options with their impacted Airmen as specific programs roll-out and to provide honest, frank, feedback on their performance, said Grosso. Airmen should also review their records and ensure they are accurate and up-to-date.

“We understand these changes will not be easy for anyone,” Grosso said, “however providing Airmen feedback and information will help them make informed decisions based on what is best for them and their families during these times of fiscal uncertainty.”

More information on personnel programs will be available soon. For general personnel questions, go to the myPers website at https://mypers.af.mil.

Edited by PanchBarnes

Seems to me like that's all the same stuff that's been on myPers since July: Early retirement offers for those career fields where few will logically accept it, PALACE CHASE, a program to force the fart-knocker O-5s to retire, and an early ADSC out (again, for those in careers where it isn't logical to leave) with no money attached to it.

Saw that non-rated OTS boards are canx for FY14, wonder how long until the force shaping boards start.

Who cares. Pilots won't be eligible for them. AFPC may be the dumbest, most mismanaged program in the United States Military, but it doesn't take a genius to know that a mass exodus of pilots is going to happen soon if it hasn't already started. I highly doubt we will see any pilot force shaping for the next 10 years and I'm actually more worried about a stop loss.

Who cares. Pilots won't be eligible for them. AFPC may be the dumbest, most mismanaged program in the United States Military, but it doesn't take a genius to know that a mass exodus of pilots is going to happen soon if it hasn't already started. I highly doubt we will see any pilot force shaping for the next 10 years and I'm actually more worried about a stop loss.

I almost want to take you up on that if you're willing to bet on it...

I almost want to take you up on that if you're willing to bet on it...

I'm not sure I'd be willing to bet on a stop loss happening just yet, but I'd wager 1.5 times my annual salary that we won't see anymore force shaping happening to 11X's unless we are talking about programs to try and get Lt Col's and Maj's to call it quits and retire/palace chase. Those of us with 10 year UPT commitments are safe, if you want to call it safe, from force shaping in my opinion.

This airline hiring boom is good for everyone except Big Blue. It's good for the guys that want to get out and fly for the airlines and it's good for the guys that want to stay in the AF and make it a career. It will be easier to make rank, AFPC can't keep kicking people in the nuts and expect them to stay in, and bonuses will have to go up. Big Blue has won for the last 10 years due to the economy, but it's almost time when we start winning again.

Edited by FLY6584

FYSA (emphasis added):

SUBJECT: Palace Chase Policy Update
1. A rewrite of AFI 36-3205, Palace Chase and Palace Front programs, is currently under final review prior to publishing. In the interim, this message announces policy changes in accordance to AFI 36-3205, dated 12 Nov 2009. Effective immediately this message announces modification/clarification to several sections within Chapter 1.
2. The following paragraphs of AFI 36-3205 are amended/clarified as follows:
Para 1.3.1. Enlisted and Officers must request a separation date between 120 - 180 days from application date. Overseas members must request a separation date 180 days from application date.
Para 1.3.8. All applicants must provide the following forms; AF Form 2631, PALACE CHASE Statement of Understanding/Contract, AF Form 1288, Application for Ready Reserve Assignment, copy of Data Verification Brief from vMPF, Screenshots of PHA/Dental (IMR) data from AF Portal and a Screenshot of AFFMS data from AF Portal. Officers must also submit a personal memorandum explaining the reason for applying for early release.
Table 1.1. Header inserted to read "An applicant must not:" between rules 10 and 11.
Para 1.4.13. Ensure the applicant is not in a TDY or projected TDY status longer than 30 days during the application process. This includes all PME and advanced courses, but is not limited to PME. If currently scheduled/notified for a contingency deployment or in a deployed status (31 days or longer), member may not apply until they return to home station. The notification can be in the form of Duty status update, notified verbally or in writing.
Table 1.1, Rule 27: (An applicant must not) Be in a TDY or projected TDY status longer than 30 days. Be scheduled/notified (verbally or written) for a contingency deployment or in a deployed status for 31 days or longer. (reference Para 1.4.13)
3. For more information, contact your local Military Personnel Section Relocations office or base In-Service Recruiter, Air National Guard or Air Force Reserve.

FY14 Programs Announced

Officer only programs

Force shaping boards will consider active-duty officers with more than three but less than six years of commissioned service as of Dec. 31, 2014, for separation and will target career fields and year groups based on sustainment levels.

Overages in the officer corps will require the force to conduct an Enhanced Selective Early Retirement Board, or ESERB. An ESERB allows the service to consider retirement eligible active-duty officers below the rank of colonel, lieutenant colonels once deferred for promotion, and colonels with two to four years time in grade. By law, the Air Force will select no more than 30 percent for each grade in each competitive category.

Voluntary separation pay will be offered to active-duty officers with six or more years total active federal military service as a voluntary incentive prior to the meeting a board. A reduction in force, or RIF, board will consider regular officers below the grade of lieutenant colonel who have served at least one year of active duty in their current grade, are not on a promotion list, and have six or more years total active commissioned service and less than 18 years of total active federal military service.

Officer and enlisted programs

Officers and enlisted in over-manned career fields with more than 15 but less than 20 years of service will be eligible for Temporary Early Retirement Authority, or TERA, Phase II. The Air Force will offer TERA in fiscal 2014 with the application window starting in January 2014.

"Voluntary separation pay will be offered to active-duty officers with six or more years total active federal military service as a voluntary incentive prior to the meeting a board. A reduction in force, or RIF, board will consider regular officers below the grade of lieutenant colonel who have served at least one year of active duty in their current grade, are not on a promotion list, and have six or more years total active commissioned service and less than 18 years of total active federal military service."

Maybe I'm not reading it right, but if force shaping board is only for 3-6 TIS then why is there also a RIF board for 6-18 TIS? Is a force shaping board different from a RIF board?

Maybe I'm not reading it right, but if force shaping board is only for 3-6 TIS then why is there also a RIF board for 6-18 TIS? Is a force shaping board different from a RIF board?

A force shaping board and a RIF board are two different things with the same result--a paring down of the force.

IIRC the last RIF was just a percentage cut across the board without AFSC exemptions. Is this something that is mandated by policy or can A1 tailor a RIF with whatever exemptions they direct (11X, 12X, etc)? What was released seems quite broad. Very little would surprise me these days, but if they didn't learn the lesson of cutting the 157 through non-continuation a few years ago and start to RIF any 11X with 15 plus years that was offered and accepted continuation... wow! I think they can technically do that, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong... I don't want to pass any bad info on here.