FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

...365s are still rolling out at a normal pace...

Can anyone explain why this is still happening? Weren't 365's just supposed to be temporary measures to get us through the surge periods several years ago? I can think of no good reason a 365 isn't split into 3 120s other than continuity but that's not a good enough reason to keep crushing people.

Can anyone explain why this is still happening? Weren't 365's just supposed to be temporary measures to get us through the surge periods several years ago? I can think of no good reason a 365 isn't split into 3 120s other than continuity but that's not a good enough reason to keep crushing people.

//sarcasm// You must be new. //sarcasm off// Once a process like this has the flood gates open, leadership will fight tooth and nail to keep it open. How else will people get combat desk experience if they turn off the 365s? The same thing happened with deployments out of Mildenhall back around 06-08. We started deploying to help out the super tanker wings cuz AFPC couldn't manage the new copilots coming out of UPT. It was only supposed to last for a year or two because we were flying 9+ lines per day with 12 jets. We weren't manned for deployments on top of that but we did it. Can't confirm but I'm assuming they're still deploying. Too many good opr bullets from deploying....

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

How else will people get combat desk experience if they turn off the 365s?

Brilliant.

I'm not going to say I agree with the people freaking out on the AFPC FB page, but I can understand. It can be tough to get out, even if you're ready. Big change and all. Nothing worse than making that decisions.. and then being told to wait, trying to line up jobs and all that. Got a buddy going through it right now. He can't make any decisions and he's terrified they'll approve it last second after a few job offer windows have closed.

I must admit that the longer this thing takes, the more I lose focus on my job/mission. I'm not proud of that fact, but I'm human, and I can also sense how unorganized this slow moving organization is. AFPC has to make some kind of decision soon, because I can't be the only one who feels this way.

• Upvote 3

Awesome. Just got the "quit bugging us" message from mypers. I knew it was coming, but still thought "maybe this is it" as I opened the email. I'm going to go choke myself for being stupid now.

Edited by Mountain
  • Upvote 1

^^We both know you were just looking for an excuse....

FWIW, my PC application has been sitting in the wrong CMS inbox at the Wing for 15 days awaiting signature. When they finally figured it out yesterday, everyone was out of the office for "Wingman Day"....at a fun run, hosting a circle-j*rk, or whatever it is that you do at such things.

I was going to go on a throat- punching rampage, but I remembered we have morale shirts and mustaches, so everything must be ok. So I came home, kicked the dog, and yelled at my wife. Good times.

Edited by BamaC-21
  • Upvote 2

Awesome. Just got the "quit bugging us" message from mypers. I knew it was coming, but still thought "maybe this is it" I'm going to go choke myself for being stupid now.

Do you get mypers emails on a personal email account?

Can't confirm but I'm assuming they're still deploying. Too many good opr bullets from deploying....

Yup. And operating out of a forward operating base in addition to the AFCENT lines. It's a different Mildenhall than those days I've been told. It's OK, we just got rid of the TDYs to compensate.

I got the same email about "quit bugging us" ... only good thing is that I have a name and email address in that email (no more faceless AFPC). I figure at this point we are all just in the hopper while they work through the stack. It has been difficult to have the required patience when my Air Force leadership wants everything from me "yesterday, damn it!" but I have to wait until the end of the AFPC deadline to find out my fate.

Do you get mypers emails on a personal email account?

Yeah, you can add your personal email so they send updates to that.

I was going to go on a throat- punching rampage, but I remembered we have morale shirts and mustaches, so everything must be ok. So I came home, kicked the dog, and yelled at my wife. Good times.

I'm sure they had it coming. Also, good call kicking the dog first. That way the wife takes you seriously and you don't get any lip. Well done.

• Upvote 2

Yup. And operating out of a forward operating base in addition to the AFCENT lines. It's a different Mildenhall than those days I've been told. It's OK, we just got rid of the TDYs to compensate.

That sucks. The TDYs out of there used to be pretty great. Souda, Moron, Rota, stateside, Lages, Germany. Good times. I left there about 500-750 hrs behind my peers but I'd put my Mildenhall time against 2k hrs turning left over Iraq or Afghanistan. Sorry to hear (tho not surprised) that this is how it turned out.

It may be that your life is meant to serve as a warning to others.

Brilliant.

I'm not going to say I agree with the people freaking out on the AFPC FB page, but I can understand. It can be tough to get out, even if you're ready. Big change and all. Nothing worse than making that decisions.. and then being told to wait, trying to line up jobs and all that. Got a buddy going through it right now. He can't make any decisions and he's terrified they'll approve it last second after a few job offer windows have closed.

I'd say there are about 157 separated Majors (some Lt Col now) who would say there is something worse than making a decision to get out and then having to wait...and that is: making the decision to stay and being told without notice that you have to get out in 6 months and not having any jobs lined up. I guess it is all about perspective. I do find it ironic that the AF is quick to kick people out when they want to stay, but hold on as tight as they can when people want to leave. Wouldn't it make sense to let the people go who you know want to leave anyway rather than cutting to the bare minimums and keeping the people who you still know want to leave anyway? Where is the logic? I really don't know if I should laugh or not...because it is very comical to say the least.

The icing on the cake: The former SAPR Lt Col heading this process up. Someone please tell me that is a joke because I really want to laugh at that one....

I've summed this up to the Air Force spending most of the last 5-6 years focusing on "looking" good but not really "being" good at what we are supposed to do (I'm specifically talking about AFPC). When it comes time to perform, we fail miserably. But, I'll be my left nut those bubbas and bubbettes at AFPC "look" damn good fucking this up. I can just see the resumes now...minus the repeating negative outcomes of course.

funny thing, if they broke up 365s into 60-120 day deployments, you know how many guard reserve units would play? you know how many people would volunteer for them? instead they have to resort to this deployment schedule via the excuse that continuity and readiness requirements dictate it. i feel like the unit climate assessments are more of a tool to implement community practices we hate. oh you dont like CBTs? here is more of them, you dont like 365s? thats what all deployments will be like in the future, you dont like sitting at a desk all day? well we are stripping all flying hrs, all training will be done in a sim now

I agree Altus, people think publicly bitching about this process will actually make it better or improve their situation or that knowing that someone got approved means they are going to. at least here it is more of an SA builder and place to vent so we dont drink ourselves into a stupor every night. but i will say, the amount of productivity towards my wings mission is significantly diminished. now i just search the web for jobs, work on my resumes and apps to places and constantly try to track my CMS case, hopefully i will be able to get on with my life soon

jrobe, what unit did your buddy get hired on with and how long did his PC app process take if you dont mind asking him, also did he apply under the 1-1 or 2-1 program?

but i will say, the amount of productivity towards my wings mission is significantly diminished. now i just search the web for jobs, work on my resumes and apps to places and constantly try to track my CMS case, hopefully i will be able to get on with my life soon

I've seen this come up in several posts in this thread in particular. I don't know you chizz so nothing personal but /rant on

Are you guys fucking serious? I hope there is a good bit of "10% truth" when dudes claim that their productivity has plummeted and all they do is job surf and check AFPC systems.

I 7-day opted an assignment, got sent anyways and am currently navigating the Palace Chase process; I get it...hell I think anyone with half a brain thinks this force management process (and many things about the Air Force) is totally fucked. But come on, there's still a job to do and I signed on the dotted line to do it. No one has been stop-lossed or has missed a paycheck.

If anyone who worked for or with me stopped doing their job and was constantly job searching while at work, they wouldn't be slacking off for very long. Be an officer, nut up and give the job your all until the day you hang it up, whether that's 20+ or just until your most lengthy sentence is served. Serious question: do guys claiming they're basically ROAD not feel responsible for their units mission or mentoring younger guys to take their place? Where I come from both of those things are important and full-time jobs unto themselves.

All this might be a minority opinion but it needs to be said...hopefully by front line supervisors and Commanders and not just some guy in the internet. /rant off

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 5

not taken personal at all and you are correct, 10% truth and of course I am not going to miss a suspense or submit crap work, just makes more work for other people and thats not my motto, i try to make peoples job easier if i can. but i also find it more interesting reading everyone's situation vs. developing another COA for the OG that will never get implemented (thats why there is a door to the office) and with 5 ADOs in the office, there really isnt much that I cant chaff off to the guy who kinda gives a damn.

and there is plenty of mentoring going on to the CPs, i am always going to tell them what i f00ked up and how to not make the same mistakes and how to prepare for this storm when it comes their time. if we just let them figure it out on their own then they are going to end up like the people we dont want to work with. thats why I wanted to be a t-6 IP vs a t-1 IP, i wanted them young (STS) so i could teach them how to fly like i wanted them to fly, before they were tainted.

And I forgot to say, trunk monkey, you have a 7 day suspense, so its either 7 day opt or sign is my impression.

Anyone else get this gem? Is it just me or does it sound like if you ask any questions about your future that has been on hold for the last 3 month, they will conviently loose your request?

Subject

---------------------------------------------------------------

Retirement Request

Discussion Thread

---------------------------------------------------------------

Response Via Email(myPers - Total Force Service Center) - 03/27/2014 04:39 PM Sir/Ma'am

Please refrain from making any inquiries on the status of your case prior to receiving a response from HQ AFPC. Doing so will cause your case to change to an incorrect status and you will no longer be in the correct status for the final Approval/Disapproval decisions.

Your assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated

Very Respectfully,

HQ AFPC Retirements & Separations Branch

Yup...my heart stopped beating for about 20 seconds then I nearly shit myself. Dude I do not want to go out like that.

Yup...my heart stopped beating for about 20 seconds then I nearly shit myself. Dude I do not want to go out like that.

And people wonder why there is workplace violence.....sounded like a threat that directly impacts you and your family....hate to say it but I'd go down fists a flying if someone threatens me or my family......sounds like a good time to file that IG complaint or maybe forward that little gem with all the other bs that is going on to Air Force Times.....

I've seen this come up in several posts in this thread in particular. I don't know you chizz so nothing personal but /rant on

Are you guys ######ing serious? I hope there is a good bit of "10% truth" when dudes claim that their productivity has plummeted and all they do is job surf and check AFPC systems.

I 7-day opted an assignment, got sent anyways and am currently navigating the Palace Chase process; I get it...hell I think anyone with half a brain thinks this force management process (and many things about the Air Force) is totally ######ed. But come on, there's still a job to do and I signed on the dotted line to do it. No one has been stop-lossed or has missed a paycheck.

If anyone who worked for or with me stopped doing their job and was constantly job searching while at work, they wouldn't be slacking off for very long. Be an officer, nut up and give the job your all until the day you hang it up, whether that's 20+ or just until your most lengthy sentence is served. Serious question: do guys claiming they're basically ROAD not feel responsible for their units mission or mentoring younger guys to take their place? Where I come from both of those things are important and full-time jobs unto themselves.

All this might be a minority opinion but it needs to be said...hopefully by front line supervisors and Commanders and not just some guy in the internet. /rant off

Everyone has a different outlook for different reasons, your outlook is as respectable as the other guys. Some of us are spent, broken, kaput: mind, body and soul...My username is literal, as for the three midget hookers...on my bucket list? Shit posted here is so we can bitch and moan, joke and bullshit. It is a sanctuary for those of us who have practiced the fine, time honored art of bitching and moaning for so many years with good ing reason. Do not be so blind to see not everyone is going to get out and be able to utilize their ATP, 5 type ratings, Aviation Masters + Bachelors, take care of their family, sleep soundly and wake up refreshed, etc etc...some of us lost it all because a billion zillion tards either lined their pockets or got promoted. I signed up with the understanding I would not be deceived nor forgotten, pretty sure that is not the case. With a little research I could show at least 300K+ ture Americans, from within the last 10 yrs, likely feels the same way as I do and the number is growing. Even after everything I still give it my all everyday; but that does not mean a whole lot these days now does it? So one has to ask; where will YOU draw the line and say " it"? I do not even know you but hope you never have to draw that line. Do the rest of us a favor and just knock it off. If you are not sure what knock if off means then you are probably in the wrong blog.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Even after everything I still give it my all everyday; but that does not mean a whole lot these days now does it? So one has to ask; where will YOU draw the line and say "fuck it"?

Please come back and post on this thread every time your new civilian employer tells you to go eat a bag of dicks and you quit because you're being oppressed by the man (again).

Do the rest of us a favor and just knock it off. If you are not sure what knock if off means then you are probably in the wrong blog.

Hello Pot...Have you met my friend, Kettle.

Bendy

And I forgot to say, trunk monkey, you have a 7 day suspense, so its either 7 day opt or sign is my impression.

Normally true (as far as I know), however I still have a year of ADSC for my GI-Bill Transfer and past experience tells me that they will leave me alone for a month or two (I did this once before when I refused an assignment...to Altus of all places but I still had ADSC remaining, and they shipped me out to Altus anyway).

Am I gambling? You bet. Am I losing? Nope, because I still have a TERA package in and I figure no commander in their right mind would try and enforce the assignment in the middle, especially since the assignment RNLTD is not until Jan '15. Oh, and signing agrees to a 2 year ADSC...

What I am mulling over now...is that they could possibly deny my TERA and then tell me that since I did not accept the assignment in 7 days that I have to get out. That is not very likely though, since they would have had to deny my TERA (because they need me on that wall) and they would have to waive a year of ADSC. I cannot imagine AFPC would do that, even with the foolishness of today.

Edited by TrunkMonkey

I'm often surprised at how many people have been brainwashed into the "shut up and color" mentality. If the majority continues to act like nothing is happening by continuing to do as you're told, then nothing will ever change. Instead of degrading those that are dealing with he RIF, TERA, etc, how about the majority join in and demand answers as well. Wait I know why that doesn't happen... It's because no one wants to rock the boat and cause themselves to miss out on that strat...let's face it... Nothing will ever change.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

To all you guys who are critical of the bitching....remember this. The civilian world does not deploy you to shitholes for years on end. They also don't typically force you to move. You can look for another job and then quit when you find another. Sure are there problems in the civilian world...heck yes. The difference is you have way more control and freedom over your life.

I'm often surprised at how many people have been brainwashed into the "shut up and color" mentality. If the majority continues to act like nothing is happening by continuing to do as you're told, then nothing will ever change. Instead of degrading those that are dealing with he RIF, TERA, etc, how about the majority join in and demand answers as well. Wait I know why that doesn't happen... It's because no one wants to rock the boat and cause themselves to miss out on that strat...let's face it... Nothing will ever change.

You and I were thinking the same thing.....I'm not afraid to rock the boat....and do so every chance I get these days

• Upvote 2

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Unfortunately it's just not true. I just finished a round of Congressional inquiry (8 Congressional offices, to be exact) for a different issue, and I can tell you that unless the Congressman/woman takes personal interest in your case it'll just be a bureaucratic exercise that wastes your time. You'll deal with a VERY low-tier person in the Congressional office who has no power or motivation. That person has to deal with an entire AF office dedicated to answering Congressional inquiries, and believe me when I tell you they work very hard to avoid real answers. It's like working a claim with an insurance company that doesn't want to pay out, only more shady. It doesn't matter if you're right, even with the AFIs on your side.

Now if ALL of us did this, maybe there'd be some impact, but that isn't going to happen either. It's like saying we're all going to rebel against the SOS in correspondence as an informal prereq for residence by refusing to take ANY SOS tests in correspondence. If everyone does that, would they simply cancel the In-res classes? Nope. They'd fill them anyway. But there will always be the careerist douchecopter who sees the situation as an opportunity to set himself apart from the crowd and just do one test, and the situation will revert within a few weeks.

In short, an email from you would be ALL OVER the AF in a matter of hours, and get lots of attention. Unfortunately, it'll also get YOU lots of attention--and not the kind of attention you want. It's as close to falling on one's sword as we can get these days. I doubt any of us consider that worth it.

FYI. We got a response back from an inquiry started in our squadron. Zero bureaucracy. Zero time waste. (For us).

Edited by albertschu