One small step for a man....

mach2m3

And we are "reverse" engineering those engines, because we've lost some of the knowledge that went into building them:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/23/nasa-engine-test-parts-saturn-v-rocket-moon_n_2534361.html

To develop the Space Launch System (SLS), NASA's next generation heavy-lift rocket, engineers are dissecting, refurbishing and re-firing components from the remaining F-1s to gain a better understanding of how the engine was designed and worked.

Attached is something you may or may not have seen before--Neil Armstrong's travel voucher from the July 1969 trip to the moon.

FG

edit to add attachment

Armstrong_Travel_VCH_to_the_Moon-July1969.pdf

Edited by Finance_Guy
  • Upvote 11

Attached is something you may or may not have seen before--Neil Armstrong's travel voucher from the July 1969 trip to the moon.

FG

edit to add attachment

Most awesome travel voucher ever!

I wonder how long it took to pay out...

EDIT: Disregard. Forgot that was the era of cash cages and on-the-spot voucher approvals.

Edited by JarheadBoom

I wonder how long it took to pay out...

EDIT: Disregard. Forgot that was the era of cash cages and on-the-spot voucher approvals.

Not really--Looks like this era paid by check. You can see he signed the VCH on 8 Sep 1969 and it was paid by check on 19 Sep. 11 days isn't too bad, but dang you'd think he would get VIP treatment. However it did take him over 40 days to sign the voucher. I'll bet he had a lot going on at that time and wasn't worried about 49 bucks, nor signing a voucher.

FG

"All the networks dumped us. One of them said we make goin' to the moon as exciting as taking a trip to Pittsburg."

-Apollo 13

Awesome. Remember watching the landing on live TV as a kid at summer camp. Pretty cool. Also got to see several Apollo launches/splashdowns on live TV at school on these HUGE black & white TVs they wheeled from room-to-room. Hey, it was the 60's; things were different then....

splashdown.jpg

• 1 month later...

lol yeah my post was just waiting for mod approval for a year now. Was breaking news when I first posted!

Edit.. dont feel as stupid now lots of people making this mistake. The article is actually dayed today. Still feelbad that I didnt remember he died last year.

http://www.boston.com/news/source/2013/08/how_the_abc_news_twitter_share_tool_led_people_to_believe_ne.html

Edited by Bishop
  • Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Didn't step on the moon, but 45 years ago this month Apollo 8 got pretty close.

Interesting insight:

http://www.gizmag.com/apoll-8-45th-anniversary/29991/

apollo-8-45.jpg

apollo-8-45-35.jpg

NASA was worried. On September 15, 1968, the Soviet Union launched its Zond 5 mission, which carried a “crew” of tortoises and other living things around the Moon and was the first lunar mission to return to Earth. Worse, the CIA had information that the Soviets might try to send a one-man orbital mission to the Moon before the end of the year. If that wasn’t enough, NASA was having equipment problems. Two CSMs were delivered to the Kennedy Space Center, but the LEM was still having engineering problems and the builder Grumman said it would not be ready until at least February 1969.

It was in this context that George Low, the Manager of the Apollo Spacecraft Program Office, had an idea. Since the LEM wasn’t ready, but the CSM was, then why not go for a circumlunar mission? The result was hurried discussions followed by the decision to move the mission launch up from early 1969 to late December, 1968. This meant a quick change in mission planning, shorter and more intense training for the crew, and trimming down to what would be a straightforward trip to the Moon with the other objectives being to test the CSM and to take recon photos for the Apollo 11 landing.

It was shortly after Apollo 8 went into translunar orbit that an unpleasant episode occurred. The plan was for the crew to sleep in shifts, so there would always be at least one astronaut awake at any given time. Despite all the adrenalin from the launch, Borman took the first sleeping shift and took a sleeping pill. Far from nodding off, he ended up wide awake with vomiting and a diarrhea attack so bad that the waste system couldn’t handle it and droplets of sick and feces floated around the cabin.

Not really--Looks like this era paid by check. You can see he signed the VCH on 8 Sep 1969 and it was paid by check on 19 Sep. 11 days isn't too bad, but dang you'd think he would get VIP treatment. However it did take him over 40 days to sign the voucher. I'll bet he had a lot going on at that time and wasn't worried about 49 bucks, nor signing a voucher.

FG

I wonder if he was on the commander's bad boy list of overdue vouchers....probably got briefed at every staff meeting....

droplets of sick and feces floated around the cabin.

With all the glamour and fame that comes with being an astronaut (and picking up chicks at bars) these are the details that just get left out. Its kind of like a wet "Howdy" that really does stick to the inside of your nose...